My Carbon Fiber Tank and Tail arrived today!

R.I.P. Mikko

So they laid carbon fiber over the existing tank and seat? I hope the carbon fiber is flexible because the tank sure is. What happens when the tank swells? Are you hoping the lining prevents that?

Yes,  i wanted to go with pure fiber with a liner. That proved to be cost prohibitive. So i had the tank lined by GTL Advantage. Carbon fiber is very strong, if anything it'll resist flexing. I personally don't know of anyone who's done this. Time will tell....I didn't use my Scura tank, I bought a '03 tank and will also be switching to "in tank fuel pump/filter"

• Like 1

Wow looks amazing!

Did the tank you use have any swelling from ethanol gas? If so, did you do anything to it to mitigate the swelling and get it back to its original shape? I have heard that if the tanks sit empty for a while the swelling goes down, but I don’t know.

The tank I bought was listed as "used"  But when i looked at it, i couldn't tell. Looked new to me and the pump still has the little plugs and ties holding everything together. I did send the tank out to be cleaned and lined to prevent that problem. I think being in a carbon fiber carapace should keep it together. The pieces are substantial. I'm waiting for a new gasket, the bolts and washers, fuel lines and new quick connects plus the new style all metal filter. I think tomorrow i will install the tail.

• Like 2

Looks great, is it carbon fibre laid onto the original parts or a wrap?  If carbon fibre overlay won't it be heavier than standard, I thought carbon fibre is usually used to reduce weight.

3 hours ago, 68C said:

Looks great, is it carbon fibre laid onto the original parts or a wrap?  If carbon fibre overlay won't it be heavier than standard, I thought carbon fibre is usually used to reduce weight.

You are correct, this isn't pure carbon. I spent quite a bit of time looking into having these pieces reproduced and the set up cost alone is enough to make you cry. You would be essentially paying for one off parts. I didn't think i could even hope to recoup that money offering pieces made to order for anyone else.

If money was no object then yes of course i would do it. I had even more radical ideas and this has been a very difficult endeavor. Trying to run a business and spend hours on the phone / zillion emails. So compromises are whats going to bring this to life in a reasonable time period.

These are skinned. If you go to Exotic Car Gear's website you can read about how they do it. It ain't that detestable vinyl. It does add some weight, which i will counter with other lightweight components. I do have a full fairing that will be cut and fitted, I am having that copied in pure carbon once the fiberglass pieces is fitted. This is a replica Honda CB750 race fairing:

OLYMPUS-DIGITAL-CAMERA.jpg

That will cost $1,700 to be made in pure Carbon. Thankfully i don't have to pay for the set up. In my situation, using those dollars for other things is a better allocation of resources. The set up costs just for the tank and tail was in the multi thousands of dollars. I don't want to spoil the surprise, but you'll see what i ended up spending those dollars on.

• Like 3