Tank bag

guzzler

G'day Folks

I'm toying with the idea of buying a tank bag.

I've been using a kreiga back pack for years now and bloody good it is!

However I've discovered that when doing a 2 or 3 day ride the ole backside starts to get BLOODY SORE towards the end of each day. Now I know that a fair bit of this is the stock seat and I use an Air Hawk as well, but I reckon a good part of it is the added weight in the pack putting a bit  more pressure on the ole freckle.

I did a search and found apart from the Guzzi bag which people don't seem to like and a Cortech which is not available here in Oz not much info.

Has anyone used or have any experience with Oxford bags?

I like the look of the 30litre strap mount as don't like the gas cap mount jobbies and of course magnetic is out.Also the bloody foam pad on our beasties might make things interesting?

Still I reckon you could get round the pad issue?

Any thoughts?

The minister of finance will not take kindly to the extravagance of buying  one then another until finding one that works out eh!

Cheers Guzzler

The stock bag is just "ok" but I still use mine. I'm on my second one because the zipper broke on the first. It's fairly handy. The tank pad/protector that comes with it is outstanding. I have used on occasion an older tour-tech strap on bag over the MG tank pad. The MG bag tank pad is substantial enough as a base to even things out for the tank chin pad AND provide side shimming to hold up any other bag you might use.... considering being limited to a bag with neck-to- seat length strap mounts, it is quite a distance to cover and maintain stability.

I don't know which Kieiga you have but check the possibilities of strapping it to the tank. We don't have many options available so ..once again... Guzzi has provided 'creativity' as a possible answer.

I don't know if you have them down under, but I run a Baglus tank cover and tank bag system. Absolutely secure and waterproof "enough" for mid to southern €pe. Not as waterproof as your Kreiga. I use a US40 Kreiga so know how excellent that are.

Baglux seems to be very similar to Bagster. I have been very happy with my Bagster tank cover and tank bag that you clip on the cover.  

I have also used the Tekno semi-rigid panniers (

but found the (dis)mounting of the racks quite cumbersome (and it looks VERY ugly without panniers). Another alternative: a Stucci luggage rack

• Like 1

Thanks for the info fellas!

I've not seen the Bagster/Baglus system here in Oz I must say.

However not really a fan of this type either due to a  messy experience with tank covers back in the seventies!

Dare say this set-up is probably light years away from that though.

Still I couldn't bring myself to cover up all of that beautiful green tank eh! 

I have the 30 litre Kreiga backpack and yep it is very very good, waterproof as well.I've ridden in some pretty ordinary weather and it's contents are always bone dry.

I can't see how it could be used as a tank bag though.

Funny my bike came with the Techno pannier system as well but I removed the frame and never used them.I also didn't like the look ha ha.

Which brings me back to the Oxford bag.They do look pretty good and we have a new importer here in Oz so are available now.

Footgoose, it seems like you didn't have any  fitment issues with the Oxford bag yeah?

It would only be used now and again when doing  the aforementioned 2 / 3 day trips whilst the Kreiga will still be used day to day and probably to keep stuff dry on the trips.Albeit somewhat lighter.

Thanks again

Guzzler

• 3 weeks later...

G'day again Folk's.

Sorry for carping on  about this but  stage 3 Covid means work suspended ( it's in metro melb ) for 6 weeks and I'm stuck at home.

Not as bad as Metropolitan Melbourne and some environs on stage 4 though, as it looks like I can escape for a ride now and again! If the weather brightens up.I'm in the country.

Anyways I finally got an answer from the Oz distributor as to the dimensions of the Oxford 30 litre strap on bag.Not so simple as just fronting up and trying on for size these days Eh!

It appears to be 38cm long by 32cm wide by 25 high.This may be a bit wide at the front for our odd  shaped ( but beautiful ) V11 tanks as they taper in at the front.

The Guzzi bag accommodates our tanks by tapering at the front to fit the tank but these are unobtainable so I'm wondering if the Oxford bag could be made to work?

Any thoughts from anyone who has tried the Oxford bag on our bikes or at least a bag of similar proportions ( ie approx. 28-32 cm wide at front of bag ).

I have also sussed out the Kreiga 20 litre tail bag ( 40cm L x 26 w x 19 h ) which could possibly work but works out approx. $320 Oz( bag + tank converter ) for 20L + delivery as compared to

$240 delivered to my door for the Oxford which can handle 30 Litres.

Being a typical Guzzi nut the $ plays a part.Well it does to the minister.I also like the look of the Oxford bag so hoping it could work out.

Once again I appreciate any of your thoughts.

Cheers Guzzler

• Like 1

Wow, thanks LowRyter , 16 inches long x 12 inches wide at the back.

In metric that would make it 36cm x 30cm which means the Oxford bag  will work at the back!

Just the front of it at 32cm wide which could be the problem, although I think this measurement includes the side pockets and the base is slightly narrower ?

Mate, any chance you could advise the  width  of your Guzzi bag at the front where it tapers in?

Sorry to be a pain.

Cheers Guzzler

• 5 months later...
On 8/12/2020 at 9:56 PM, guzzler said:

Wow, thanks LowRyter , 16 inches long x 12 inches wide at the back.

In metric that would make it 36cm x 30cm which means the Oxford bag  will work at the back!

Just the front of it at 32cm wide which could be the problem, although I think this measurement includes the side pockets and the base is slightly narrower ?

Mate, any chance you could advise the  width  of your Guzzi bag at the front where it tapers in?

Sorry to be a pain.

Cheers Guzzler

Did you ever went for the Oxford tank bag?

I am looking at purchasing a tank bag too. Problem is that I don't have the bike with me to try it on. So I need to make sure it is going to fit.

I have found a tank bag from Givi on Amazon.it; said to be purposed for the Moto Guzzi V11 Le Mans; obviously the model is no longer available, but I found their newest model which has the exact same dimensions.

https://www.revzilla.com/assets/0002/6504/givi_grt715_gravel_t_waterproof20_l_tank_bag.pdf

Givi GRT715 Gravel-T Waterproof 20L Tank Bag

Head out onto the open road or trail with the confidence of knowing your packed gear will stay dry. The Givi GRT715 uses high frequency welding to ensure a seamless build quality that achieves an IPX5 water-resistance rating on the main compartment. A touchscreen-friendly map pocket provides the perfect spot for using a tablet for navigation. The strap-based attachment allows you to adjust the positioning of the bag fore and aft to accommodate a wide variety of motorcycle configurations however the generous size lends itself best to large adventure touring machines.

Features:

• Waterproofing: IPX5 waterproof certification on main compartment
  • Transparent upper pocket for map, smart phone or tablet
  • Water-resistant side pocket
  • 840D double TPU coated nylon construction
  • High-frequency sealed seams
  • Detachable base strap system for easy on/off
  • Shoulder strap for transportation
  • 35cm L x 25cm W x 21cm H (13.8" L x 9.8" W x 8.3" H)
  • 20 liter capacity

Givi borsa di serbatoio

• Like 1

5 hours ago, p6x said:

Did you ever went for the Oxford tank bag?

I am looking at purchasing a tank bag too. Problem is that I don't have the bike with me to try it on. So I need to make sure it is going to fit.

I have found a tank bag from Givi on Amazon.it; said to be purposed for the Moto Guzzi V11 Le Mans; obviously the model is no longer available, but I found their newest model which has the exact same dimensions.

https://www.revzilla.com/assets/0002/6504/givi_grt715_gravel_t_waterproof20_l_tank_bag.pdf

Givi borsa di serbatoio

G'day mate.

Yes I did buy the Oxford bag  and am quite happy with it!

Having said that I have yet to get out on a trip to try it out ha ha. 

I have fitted it to the bike though  and it fits with no apparent issues and can't wait to get out on the road with it.

Hope to get away for a 2 x day ride sometime this month and test it out now that the planets seem to be aligning to enable this!

He types with fingers crossed!

Cheers Guzzler

Ps if I can get away will advise how it goes.

• Like 1

I recently found this combo on the European Hepco Becker site.  2 parts: tank ring and compatible bag.  You can order these items on www.motomachines.com

tank ring: 

https://www.motomachines.com/hepco-becker-lock-it-tank-ring-moto-guzzi-v11-models

bag: 

https://www.motomachines.com/hepco-becker-royster-tank-bag

2021-01-22 17_23_03-Tankring Lock-it for Moto Guzzi V11 Scura, Le Mans, Ballabio, Coppa Italia, Cafe.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, daviscr5 said:

I recently found this combo on the European Hepco Becker site.  2 parts: tank ring and compatible bag.  You can order these items on www.motomachines.com

tank ring: 

https://www.motomachines.com/hepco-becker-lock-it-tank-ring-moto-guzzi-v11-models

bag: 

https://www.motomachines.com/hepco-becker-royster-tank-bag

Since you brought it, I have noticed a significant difference with the motorcycling gear providers in the USA. When you check the popular sites, the search engines are limited to the recent bikes. Or, for those that do have a Moto Guzzi V11 configuration, the returned list is empty.

One of the web site I used when I was in Europe has a search engine that can be configured to Moto Guzzi V11 Sport, including the year.

Here's the returned list for Moto Guzzi V11 Sport year 2004;

This is useful to check the references and find the equivalent in your local market. You could also order online; the prices shown include VAT, so if you live outside EUR, they remove the TVA which is 20% at the time I type this. Unfortunately, the EUR to USD rate is around 1.20ish. Still it is a good alternative if you are looking for something that you cannot find where you live.

Baggages Moto Guzzi V11