Closing Deal on another V11

Tom in Virginia

Working with a freind to close deal on an almost "new" 2002 V11 LeMans.  This will join my 2003 V11 (currently in garage with broken pawl return spring) and is my 4th MG.  As I understand it was a part of collector's portfolio that was auctioned off, bought by a dealer and resold.  Had 3 miles on it when purchased, current owner has about 2500 miles on odo now.  It is all stock except for the handle bar risers and rear rack.  Excited, waiting for DMV to get title squared away, send check to owner and have shipper to pick up in next few weeks.  It is essentially in new condition.  (Gonna have to hide this one from the wife out in the back garage as she already put the subtle kibosh on any more motorbikes) :D  Despite being an endless tinker/modifier, I plan to keep this one just as she is, stock.

Gil-s-Lemans.png

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Tom in Virginia said:

Despite being an endless tinker/modifier, I plan to keep this one just as she is, stock.

We’re going to hold you to this. :rolleyes:

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

6 hours ago, swooshdave said:

We’re going to hold you to this. :rolleyes:

You know, when they are partially (Ha!) disassembled for maintenance, it's just as easy to bolt aftermarket parts back on. After all, you can switch those OEM parts back anytime you want to - just like giving up smoking...

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, po18guy said:

You know, when they are partially (Ha!) disassembled for maintenance, it's just as easy to bolt aftermarket parts back on. After all, you can switch those OEM parts back anytime you want to - just like giving up smoking...

I like the way you think!

10 hours ago, docc said:

Gorgeous! You're gonna need a shakedown ride, buddy!

If I give up the tickets for Barber in Oct due to this virus, I may show in Tenn. because I am definitely bored to death and over this upper 90's heat!

• Like 1

WOW! So jealous, that would be in the house with me and my wife would be in the back garage! Love that color too, congrats!

• Haha 2

That looks familiar ;)   ...I think they did a great job with as I recall this one year color combination.

This was within just a few months of buying mine back in San Jose, California circa 2002.... approaching 20 years ago.  Wow.

AWR-2002-Moto-Guzzi-V11-LeMans-Champagne.jpg

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Wow, congrats Tom.  That bike really is near perfection.  Al, great looking bike as well.  I like the Corbin touch.  I'm beginning to feel that I need a LeMans to park next to my Coppa and Griso! They really are very different looking machines.

• Like 1

Since this one is a 2002, I am just a wee bit worried about the engine case paint spalling off.  I plan to use either one or the other of these to protect/preserve the paint/coating.  I use the Moto Protect on my KTM 250 (plastic, aluminum and painted surfaces) with good success.  I have also used the HD Engine Brightener on my 2007 Street Glide (before I traded it) and have sprayed the engine cases/valve covers/trans. of my '03 Lemans with excellent results.  Both are silicone in nature, but the HD product is quite a bit heavier and therefore stays intact longer.  But I must caution, either of these must not be used on seats, grips, pegs, TIRES! and all brake surfaces (pads/rotors/calipers) should be covered before you try to spray it on.  Of course, the HD product comes with a HD price LOL. 

Any feedback or experience on engine /trans case preservation on 2002 LeMans welcome.

0807201743a-2.jpg

Edited by Tom in Virginia
added tires as concern for overspray
  • Like 1

You don't have to worry . It IS gonna do this and no matter what you spray on the case , it is going to peel , delaminate or whatever it is called .

• Like 1