Closing Deal on another V11

Tom in Virginia

She's a beauty, well done mate!

I gotta admire you guy's with multiple bikes!

I just got  a good lecture from the minister of war and finance  for adding to my  collection of bike magazines!

I don't wanna go there mentioning a second Guzzi ha ha

Cheers Guzzler

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

She's a beauty, well done mate!
I gotta admire you guy's with multiple bikes!
I just got  a good lecture from the minister of war and finance  for adding to my  collection of bike magazines!
I don't wanna go there mentioning a second Guzzi ha ha
Cheers Guzzler
I dunno, these Guzzis are a bit like potato chips. Tell the minister of finance you could have worse vices!:)

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, daviscr5 said:

I dunno, these Guzzis are a bit like potato chips. Tell the minister of finance you could have worse vices!:)

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

just don't give examples of 'other vices'

my girl's response was "so the options are motorcycles.... or strip clubs?":doh:

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, footgoose said:

my girl's response was "so the options are motorcycles.... or strip clubs?":doh:

Probably much closer to the jagged edge:  :mg: Guzzis .... or strip-pers. :o

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 8/8/2020 at 1:41 PM, footgoose said:

We're talking the same shape, but...

Screen%20Shot%202020-07-24%20at%204.30.4

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

So received the bike,  perfect condition (other than the motor case finish which looks very clean but wrinkled finish with occasional coating bubbles). 

A few days ago, after the rain cleared and roads dried, I did a short 20 mile local "trial run" to check it out for any standout gremlins.  Noted that the rear suspension is way too stiff for me on compression, not unexpected.  It gives me a really good wack out back on any sharp or sudden bump.  Checked it against my '03 LM and it is set the same.  Backed off the compression adjustment just a bit, thinking that the spring is stiffer since it is almost new (2455 miles). 

Transmission shifts properly, smooth and tight. Have the indestructible Chuck/SCUD spring to install but will wait until this winter (or until it breaks lol).

The tachometer, dash lights, headlight and brake light went dead about 15 miles into the test run.  Put the bike thru about 8 stop/short cool down/start cycles en-route.  Got home and started running thru all the V11 forum threads for "tach quit", "headlight out", "dash lights out".  Checked the (new) battery connections (nice and tight).  Gleaned thru some of the troubleshooting tips offered in the threads.  Checked bottom of relay box for loose wiring, swapped relays one at a time and then all with good relays, no change.  Removed/inspected the fuses, swapped a few like fuses, no change.  Bike was started and stopped probably 10 times during this with no issues in starting or running.  Plugged battery into trickle charger and went to bed. 

This morning bike started with no repeat of "loss of" condition described above.  Another 20 miles on test run #2 with no issues noted.  Really got me scratching my head, I'm gonna keep putting a few more local trips on it to see it the condition reoccurs.  In the back of my head I hope I am not looking at possibly replacing an intermittent voltage regulator already.

52 minutes ago, fotoguzzi said:

If it was the regulator fouling up wouldn't everything work still until the battery drained?

Correct.

Classic signs of Relay #2 (and Relay#1 on early V11). Even “good” relays can be under rated.

If the battery is a PC545, check the voltage sequence and perform conditioning as indicated. 

Maybe she’s just “gettin’ to know ya!” :closedeyes:

• Like 1

On 7/27/2020 at 4:54 AM, Tom in Virginia said:

Working with a freind to close deal on an almost "new" 2002 V11 LeMans.  This will join my 2003 V11 (currently in garage with broken pawl return spring) and is my 4th MG.  As I understand it was a part of collector's portfolio that was auctioned off, bought by a dealer and resold.  Had 3 miles on it when purchased, current owner has about 2500 miles on odo now.  It is all stock except for the handle bar risers and rear rack.  Excited, waiting for DMV to get title squared away, send check to owner and have shipper to pick up in next few weeks.  It is essentially in new condition.  (Gonna have to hide this one from the wife out in the back garage as she already put the subtle kibosh on any more motorbikes) :D  Despite being an endless tinker/modifier, I plan to keep this one just as she is, stock.

Gil-s-Lemans.png

Hey Tom.

Congrats.....you should not ride that one at all and Ill approach you when this covid thing is over and make you a fair offer. 

Also I have a fellow enthusiast that has that same machine he bought new and presently has about 80,000 KLMs on it with virtually no paint separations on engine cases or other....... Just to let you know there are good ones out there but its rare.

Ciao

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Twin AH said:

Hey Tom.

Congrats.....you should not ride that one at all and Ill approach you when this covid thing is over and make you a fair offer. 

Also I have a fellow enthusiast that has that same machine he bought new and presently has about 80,000 KLMs on it with virtually no paint separations on engine cases or other....... Just to let you know there are good ones out there but its rare.

Ciao

Yes reading Dave Richardsons latest book not all the wrinkle finish engines were affected only the earlier ones. Seems it was a batch issue.Interestingly no gearboxes with the finish were an issue.

Ciao

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Chuck said:

I got yer big jugs right here, pal..

IMG_20200819_170651094.jpg

:grin:

Well, from the rider's eye view...YES! I did the meme for another forum to answer some bloke with a Ducati that suggested their shape as the male attractant.

That a LMII or III? Going by the "face" that the gauges form.  

Two electrical issues I had, the first which you don't seem to have but I'll mention in case it comes up, the bike would start with the handlebars turned to the left but not the right. Turned out to be a pair of bullet connectors to the sidestand or neutral switch or something, which when the handlebars were turned to the right pulled on the wiring harness & opened up the connectors enough to stop the bike starting.

The next issue, which you might have, is the wiring to the ignition switch is likewise not supported well enough. The connections are soldered & with the flexing of the harness as the front end is turned from side to side, the soldering broke. With the fairing & all this is a bit of a pig to get to. It was a pain with a naked bike.

Good luck :luigi: