left throttle body

Gmc28

this is probably something i should already know, but i don't....

i have this seepage coming from left throttle body, leaving the fuel goo on the left side alt cover.  is it something to just wipe off and ignore, or is it indicative of an issue that should be addressed in the throttle body?  

fishing for easy answers during the prime riding season, when i'm much less likely to fiddle and more likely to just ride, which then flips around to the opposite scenario in the wet season.  So much riding to be done, so little time...

IMG_6587.jpg

Yep, "they do that."  Made worse if we pressurize the system briefly (switching the fuel pump on and off, or brief start-ups).

Otherwise, there are procedures to address the throttle shaft and sealing O-rings.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks Docc-
Then I shall ride on in bliss, and re-visit it in winter.

Gmc28,

Back in 2014 over on Wild Guzzi, Bill Havins did an extended write up on relacing the seals and cleaning the injectors and throttle bodies. A search over there will reveal all.

Paul B:bier:

• Like 2

Comment,   think about it, she even run when the hose on the Twin max falls of = major vacum leak :rasta:. Some have lots of miles, still running good.  Hope the wear is the same on both trottle bodys.    :bier:

Cheers tom

Thanks all.  Wasn’t really fearing anything major, just filling in the mental gaps. Mission accomplished!  
I’ll dig into the wild guzzi feed and check things out this winter.

paul, I see a P-38 on the avatar.... u have a private collection?😎.  Sweet machines.

loosen the air filter to throttle body hose and push it back into the air cleaner housing . Open the throttle body to wide open . Turn the key on to pressurize the fuel system .  watch to see if the fuel leaks from the injector or the injector to the throttle body seal . Then decide what to do . 

• Like 2

The issue with the throttle bodies leaking fuel is that on a Guzzi the throttle shafts are vertical and any fuel that pools in the throttle bodies like when you cycle the ignition and it squirts a prime shot into the inlets or if it doesn't start, sits there and leaks down the shaft through the worn shaft bushes and onto the worn seals. Most engines dont have their throttle shafts vertical so it's not as much of an issue. The solution is to replace the shaft bushes which I have just done and replace the seals which I'm waiting to show up in the post. 

I managed to source the original brand and type of bush Weber used and the seal is a part from another motorcycle brand.

Ciao 

• Like 1

If you want to share the part numbers, I’d be a taker....

paul, I see a P-38 on the avatar.... u have a private collection?😎.  Sweet machines.

Yes as a matter of fact I do................they're all 1/24 scale or smaller tho :D.  My real connection to them is my Father designed and built the sighting tube and rangefinder for the photo ships for aerial reconnaisance .

Paul B:bier:

• Like 1

The P-38 was my favorite WWII plane when I was a kid.

You are probably already aware of these stories, but I thought they were great.  I spoke with the guys that pulled the first one out many years ago, curious if they'd go back for more.  At that time it wasn't financially feasible.

http://p38assn.org/glaciergirl/recovery.htm

But.... :sun:

https://www.flyingmag.com/another-wii-p-38-lightning-found-beneath-ice-in-greenland/

https://www.popularmechanics.com/flight/a22575917/wwii-p-38-discovered-under-300-feet-of-ice-in-greenland/

33 minutes ago, al_roethlisberger said:

The P-38 was my favorite WWII plane when I was a kid.

You are probably already aware of these stories, but I thought they were great.  I spoke with the guys that pulled the first one out many years ago, curious if they'd go back for more.  At that time it wasn't financially feasible.

http://p38assn.org/glaciergirl/recovery.htm

But.... :sun:

https://www.flyingmag.com/another-wii-p-38-lightning-found-beneath-ice-in-greenland/

https://www.popularmechanics.com/flight/a22575917/wwii-p-38-discovered-under-300-feet-of-ice-in-greenland/

I have seen that P-38, Glacier Girl, back when she was home in Middlesboro, Kentucky.

I always loved the P-38, and it was amazing to see that plane in person. I had seen the Nat Geo special on pulling it out and restoring it. So, while we were on vacation riding down the Blue Ridge Parkway and back we swung by Middlesboro (back when that was where she lived). We also saw a B-24 down near Knoxville Tennesee called Aluminum Overcast. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, GuzziMoto said:

I have seen that P-38, Glacier Girl, back when she was home in Middlesboro, Kentucky.

I always loved the P-38, and it was amazing to see that plane in person. I had seen the Nat Geo special on pulling it out and restoring it. So, while we were on vacation riding down the Blue Ridge Parkway and back we swung by Middlesboro (back when that was where she lived). We also saw a B-24 down near Knoxville Tennesee called Aluminum Overcast. 

I love all old WW2 aircraft and have done since I was a kid. It's what got me into a lifetime career as an aircraft engineer. Having said that the Lightning was a bit of a beast from a pilots perspective with a few traits that they never fully solved that could end you days without bothering the enemy. High speed flutter in dives that they came up with ad hock solutions to but only ever fitted to half the a/c produced and Mach Tuck problems. If you lost an engine on take off at max all up you were a dead man as well. On some twins the second engine is only there to fly you to the scene of the crash, on the Lightning it would slam dunk you into the scenery by all accounts. Brutal things the Lightning, hardly forgiving to fly.

Imagine, men used to fly these beastly machines and others into life threatening combat, amazing. People complain about all manner of rubbish now thats just total dross. 

Ciao  

• Like 4

Our company has a sizable collection of WW2 birds that’s kept at Madras airport, here in Oregon (likely not a town you’d know unless you’re from around here... a perfect place to build a nice big facility on a quiet airport).  Pretty much Only the owner got to fly the P38, his favorite, for many years.  
The air show in Madras each year is great, because it’s such a quiet little airport, and not a zoo like some of the big air shows.
if you’re a fan, here’s the collection:

www.ericksoncollection.com

And of course, to stay on theme, if you’re ever riding your V11 in or near Oregon, be sure to take in some of the top notch riding out in central Oregon, and stop by the museum!

• Like 2