04' V11 Coppa advice?

daviscr5

Hello All,

I was able to get my V11 out for a proper, spirited shakedown ride yesterday after taking delivery just about 2 weeks ago.  I've had company in town on the weekends, so my riding has been limited.  Anyhow, I went for about a 50-mile ride that included twisties, "fast" straights and provided lot's of shifting opportunities.  It was fairly hot, just over 90 degrees in the high desert of Central OR (approx 3,500 ft of elevation).  I absolutely love this bike.  Probably even more than my GRiSO at least for the moment during the honeymoon period.  There were really only 2 hiccups that require some investigation (with a full tank of gas):

1. After a few miles with the wick up, I slowed down at an intersection and the bike just completely died.  I decelerated normally as I approached the stop sign and the bike completely cutout.  I re-started it with a push of the starter and a blip of the throttle.  I accelerated away without drama.  The bike did this one more time at a different intersection.  Died, re-started, then operated normally.  Thoughts?

2. I hit a few false neutrals up-shifting form 2nd to 3rd.  This happened maybe 2 or 3 times but wasn't easily replicated.  The shift from 2nd to 3rd doesn't seem as positive as the rest of the gears but normally shifts OK.  Common?

Thanks for any thoughts or advice you have on this,

Chris

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, fotoguzzi said:

#1, have you checked valve clearance since you got it? - No, not personally. I did have a Guzzi restorer/mechanic check valves and flush all of the fluids prior to shipping.  He said that they were in spec. Interested to know why this was the first item you suggest checking?

#2, shift with intent. Agreed, I need to be even more assertive with this gearbox!  Thanks for the replies.

Crunchy shifting is a universal in the Guzzi world.   Usually 2-3 but it's 3-4 on mine.  Be deliberate but don't rush it even though you are running it hard.

Valve adjustments, plugs and fluids, and electrical connections are mandatory labors of ownership.  

similar shifting on mine- best practice for me is to pre-load the lever and make sure to maintain pressure after the shift into 3rd to stop it dropping back out. no probs when you get used to it!

If the valve clearances were "in spec" for the US, they may be too tight as they were to meet US noise regulations as I recall.

Once they get good and heated up, that gap is too small and they become too tight for the engine to idle well.  I seem to remember this happening to mine when I first had it too.

The better "Euro spec" valve adjustments should be in the FAQ section for tuneup.

Thank you both. Funny tip on loading the lever, gotta love Guzzis.  I didn't know about the Euro valve spec and will check out the FAQ section. Valve cover gaskets are now on order from MG Cycle and an inspection is on schedule!

13 hours ago, daviscr5 said:

Hello All,

I was able to get my V11 out for a proper, spirited shakedown ride yesterday after taking delivery just about 2 weeks ago.  I've had company in town on the weekends, so my riding has been limited.  Anyhow, I went for about a 50-mile ride that included twisties, "fast" straights and provided lot's of shifting opportunities.  It was fairly hot, just over 90 degrees in the high desert of Central OR (approx 3,500 ft of elevation).  I absolutely love this bike.  Probably even more than my GRiSO at least for the moment during the honeymoon period.  There were really only 2 hiccups that require some investigation (with a full tank of gas):

1. After a few miles with the wick up, I slowed down at an intersection and the bike just completely died.  I decelerated normally as I approached the stop sign and the bike completely cutout.  I re-started it with a push of the starter and a blip of the throttle.  I accelerated away without drama.  The bike did this one more time at a different intersection.  Died, re-started, then operated normally.  Thoughts?

2. I hit a few false neutrals up-shifting form 2nd to 3rd.  This happened maybe 2 or 3 times but wasn't easily replicated.  The shift from 2nd to 3rd doesn't seem as positive as the rest of the gears but normally shifts OK.  Common?

Thanks for any thoughts or advice you have on this,

Chris

How much fuel was in the tank at the time? I've run out of fuel twice in exactly the same location slowing down for a give way sign on a long downhill section( not steep) as soon as I roll through the give way sign and the road goes a little up hill it fires up again. Both times to get me to the servo about 300 metres away.

Ciao 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, daviscr5 said:

I've had these exact symptoms when hot. It seemed like coming down in rpm, she picks up just too late again and dies. Start again and she fires right up. 

Does your idle rpm vary a lot from warm to hot? Because mine did. After normal riding for 30min it was 1250rpm, but after a spirited ride through town (lots of stop and go, lots of accelleration) or coming off the highway to a stop, she went down to 1000rpm, which she does not like to idle at.

I've solved this by mastering the Decent Tune Up as quoted by docc. Took me 3 attempts to get right, but the problem has been away for 2 years now.

On the shifting: indeed, sometimes happens to me as well when I ride too "sloppy" or "lazy". Take some time for just those shifts and it will get better. Mine does it now once every 10 rides or so, which does not bother me anymore.:race:

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Tinus89 said:

I've had these exact symptoms when hot. It seemed like coming down in rpm, she picks up just too late again and dies. Start again and she fires right up. 

Does your idle rpm vary a lot from warm to hot? Because mine did. After normal riding for 30min it was 1250rpm, but after a spirited ride through town (lots of stop and go, lots of accelleration) or coming off the highway to a stop, she went down to 1000rpm, which she does not like to idle at.

I've solved this by mastering the Decent Tune Up as quoted by docc. Took me 3 attempts to get right, but the problem has been away for 2 years now.

On the shifting: indeed, sometimes happens to me as well when I ride too "sloppy" or "lazy". Take some time for just those shifts and it will get better. Mine does it now once every 10 rides or so, which does not bother me anymore.:race:

You need to pre-load the lever on the Guzzi for up and down shifts to be clean. I dont even use the clutch for up shifts from 2nd upwards.

Ciao

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Huh. (furiously knocking on wood) I've never had a problem with the Mighty Scura's shifting except for the occasional lever sticking down on a down shift. I don't remember it happening since the LP Extender, tuning up the selector, and imperishable pawl spring mod, though. It's.. dare I say it.. almost Japanese..:huh2:

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Lucky Phil said:

How much fuel was in the tank at the time? I've run out of fuel twice in exactly the same location slowing down for a give way sign on a long downhill section( not steep) as soon as I roll through the give way sign and the road goes a little up hill it fires up again. Both times to get me to the servo about 300 metres away.

Ciao 

Full tank of gas.  The only other thing I'm thinking of is that the mechanic who flushed my bike in AZ before shipping indicated there was a "starting problem." He switched the starter and fuel injection relays and thought the starter problem was solved. Perhaps I have a faulty relay?  Not sure since it only happened during deceleration after running fine through the rev range. 

4 hours ago, daviscr5 said:

Full tank of gas.  The only other thing I'm thinking of is that the mechanic who flushed my bike in AZ before shipping indicated there was a "starting problem." He switched the starter and fuel injection relays and thought the starter problem was solved. Perhaps I have a faulty relay?  Not sure since it only happened during deceleration after running fine through the rev range. 

Simple enough to install a full set of High Current OMRON:

https://www.onlinecomponents.com/omron-electronics/g8he1c7trdc12-42670683.html

When swapping relays, I always use #3(middle)/“Neutral” Relay for the spare as it is the least stressed. Know your stressed relays: