Vapor-lock with a twist- 2000 V11

jetboy

Hi:  I had a case of what was probably vapor-lock of some sort but wanted to check to make sure the symptoms fit the bill:

Hot august day, at least hot for bay area standards.  Bike was parked in the sun at work until 2:30pm, and started right up and I rode off.  It felt a little weird I have to say... but I thought maybe it was just having to stop and go in traffic and me not hitting my gears right.  

seemed to right itself once I was on the freeway.. crossed the bay bridge and just about hit the "maze' when it starts to sputter.. power loss at throttle, gets worse as I nurse her to the side.. then backfiring.. then I put it in neutral to roll as far as I can up the offramp.    I figure:  Vapor-lock, so I pop my gas cap, shake the bike a bit.. wait a minute, then bam.. she fires right up and away I go..   still a bit of sputtering but I am hoping that will right itself.  But instead, it gets worse again.  So I sputter to a stop.  wait, then go, then wait (push it shade each time), then go and manage to get home.

what is the thoughts on this?  relocate the pump?  don't ride on hot days?  heat shielding?  

or could it be something else? 

thanks-

josh

1 minute ago, jetboy said:

Hi:  I had a case of what was probably vapor-lock of some sort but wanted to check to make sure the symptoms fit the bill:

Hot august day, at least hot for bay area standards.  Bike was parked in the sun at work until 2:30pm, and started right up and I rode off.  It felt a little weird I have to say... but I thought maybe it was just having to stop and go in traffic and me not hitting my gears right.  

seemed to right itself once I was on the freeway.. crossed the bay bridge and just about hit the "maze' when it starts to sputter.. power loss at throttle, gets worse as I nurse her to the side.. then backfiring.. then I put it in neutral to roll as far as I can up the offramp.    I figure:  Vapor-lock, so I pop my gas cap, shake the bike a bit.. wait a minute, then bam.. she fires right up and away I go..   still a bit of sputtering but I am hoping that will right itself.  But instead, it gets worse again.  So I sputter to a stop.  wait, then go, then wait (push it shade each time), then go and manage to get home.

what is the thoughts on this?  relocate the pump?  don't ride on hot days?  heat shielding?  

or could it be something else? 

thanks-

josh

Not Vapour lock. Hot for the bay area doesn't really mean much for troubleshooting purposes. What was the estimated OAT. Sounds like an ignition sensor failing or maybe a blocked fuel filter or fuel tap or bad gas but not vapour lock.

Ciao  

• Like 3

+1 with Lucky Phil on that. Vapor lock doesn’t typically occur while fuel is flowing. Something looks to have gotten hot and recovered after a cool off, though.

Failing relays can do that. Especially the #5 in the V11, and extra-especially if it is not a true High Current relay.

• Like 2

maybe blocked vent 'tank suck' ? was there a whoosh when opening the cap?

or...

I did have a similar experience to yours years back. thought it was vapor lock. turned out to be a failing (as in not completely failed) #5 relay. carry an extra or swap it with #1 if it happens again.

8 minutes ago, docc said:

+1 with Lucky Phil on that. Vapor lock doesn’t typically occur while fuel is flowing. Something looks to have gotten hot and recovered after a cool off, though.

Failing relays can do that. Especially the #5 in the V11, and extra-especially if it is not a true High Current relay.

Yes docc failing relay, I always forget about the relays. Probs because I've never had an issue with them.

Ciao

• Like 1

thanks-  A relay is an easy first step.  I'll do that and see if things right themselves!  

Thanks people of the v11 forum!  

edit:  no whoosh when I opened the tank... 

32 minutes ago, jetboy said:

thanks-  A relay is an easy first step.  I'll do that and see if things right themselves!  

Thanks people of the v11 forum!  

edit:  no whoosh when I opened the tank... 

Best Relay:

https://www.onlinecomponents.com/omron-electronics/g8he1c7trdc12-42670683.html

On 8/4/2020 at 4:16 PM, jetboy said:

yep.  for sure let you know-    the relays in now are not stock, but also not the OMRON

relay.jpg

Yep: "20/10" . . .

Best to have well made 35/20 . :thumbsup:  I have seen this solve so many running (and other) issues.  :luigi: