Electronic speedo drive

Lucky Phil

I assume you have to blank off the mechanical output if not using a mechanical speedometer.  Will it still fit under the Fuel Injection linkage then?

I had one like that, it came with a rubber cap to cover the output side.

There are a number of those out there that will do that, the Guzzi set up is a fairly standard set up as I recall.

But it has been a while and I don't remember the specs.

16 hours ago, 68C said:

I assume you have to blank off the mechanical output if not using a mechanical speedometer.  Will it still fit under the Fuel Injection linkage then?

Looks like that electronic drive is driven off the gearbox mechanical output to create the signal. Pretty sure the only time you would block off the gearbox output is when going to a GPS speedometer.

Clearance for the throttle linkage is always an issue, and the reason why early V11 angle drives and later "bent tube" cable ends give us so much consternation . . .

• Like 3

1 hour ago, 68C said:

Not sure why it even has a mechanical output,  unless you want to run two speedometers:wacko:.

Ah, okay, I see what you mean now. It looks to retain a straight through mechanical drive. Not sure what that is about . . . :unsure:

On 8/6/2020 at 2:44 PM, docc said:

Looks like that electronic drive is driven off the gearbox mechanical output to create the signal. Pretty sure the only time you would block off the gearbox output is when going to a GPS speedometer.

Clearance for the throttle linkage is always an issue, and the reason why early V11 angle drives and later "bent tube" cable ends give us so much consternation . . .

My output is pretty redundant now, as my Speedo runs off the rear disc retaining bolts, like the Speedo on a Breva. 

Initially, I calibrated the new Speedo to the old. Later, I used a Garmin Sat Nav. It was an eye opener how enthusiastic the OEM Speedo was.

• Like 2

I did the same a you Cabernet on a Sporti based Magni, with the Magni the dash is difficult to read due to the Magni fairing. So I got a Harley dash and mounted Speedhuts.

I had a spare Motogadget sensor lying around so got a mount made and installed the sensor.

I then removed the speedo drive internals at the gearbox (which is of course different to the V11 but probably uses the same old speedo output and drive). Remember that second thrust washer which easily falls into the box and can do untold nastiness. I then just blanked it off with a plug like this

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/M16x1-5-BLACK-METRIC-Hex-Allen-Key-BLANKING-PLUG-BUNG-BLOCKER-Male-Oil-Adapter/272164826776?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Seems to work well, I did grind all the lettering off the disc bolts too.

ACtC-3eJ8l4x2qROkC8PY9VbRP209Z-pG-iXZlNC

• Like 1