Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Looks like this is Teo Lamers bike or at least he has something to do with it.

Earlier engine pics - 

With Teo

50194602798_9d896ab2ce_o.jpg

50195413127_0ebae47176_o.jpg

50194602988_48234156fa_o.jpg

50195413267_9abee0ac00_o.jpg

50195412637_07d10c198f_o.jpg

50194603173_7874d6bbae_o.jpg

Next Generation head

50195150441_243b00a286_o.jpg

50194602958_a69d47a9e4_o.jpg

50195413302_118ca0a29b_o.jpg

50194603153_a3abb115af_o.jpg

The Bike

50195150936_2c2654cef2_o.jpg

50195150946_a03b534298_o.jpg

50195150896_755f95f99c_o.jpg

50194603018_35bf1c6002_o.jpg

50195413157_835dea39d7_o.jpg

50195413137_a541aba569_o.jpg

50194602873_927599ba0c_o.jpg

50195413097_a0e62235fb_o.jpg

50195412932_2e011acfb1_o.jpg

50195150546_ec3e0766be_o.jpg

50194602683_ccda141653_o.jpg

50195150426_6e63e60a06_o.jpg

50194602568_430956b055_o.jpg

50194602553_71c26d54bd_o.jpg

The Gearbox.  Now this is something I have often thought of and couldnt understand why someone hasnt done it earlier. Running the sprocket at the pivot stops the chain from changing tension through the arc of travel. Reduces stretching and effects on suspension. It also allows for a longer swingarm which helps with suspension.

50195412772_559a59089c_o.jpg

50195150491_5c63682dc1_o.jpg

50195150676_1db860c924_o.jpg

50195150976_971e2189e0_o.jpg

50194602733_8c0d273248_o.jpg

The finished product

50184372112_7796912107_o.jpg

50184372052_94dce26a92_o.jpg

50184372062_beb09b555c_o.jpg

50183570733_c13a701932_o.jpg

 

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Looks like this is Teo Lamers bike or at least he has something to do with it. Earlier engine pics -  With Teo Next Generation head

Built by the technician Gattuso , with the collaboration of the brothers Gennari, of Verolanuova BS. On the valve cover there is a G with the tail. The meaning of this "logo" stands for G squared, or

Paul Lewis is happy to tell how fast he was   He works down at the local Harley shop in Newstedt, Brisbane these days.  I imagine his "confidence" may not have been overly popular at times but he

8 hours ago, LowRyter said:

Phil, as a Corvette owner with an LS-3 engine, I have to say it's one of the great ones.  In fact, on just about every high end hot rod build TV show, the "go to" engine is the LS-3.  Chevy has updated to the LT series engine with the same basic design but with direct fuel injection.  The older engine is still most popular with hot rod builders in Chevy's catalog.

For sure, based on power to engine displacement the push rod engine losses out to DOHC.  But wait, there's more ways to look at this.  Compare the 6.2 liter Chevy to the 5.0 DOHC Mustang GT and both of them make close to the same power but the Chevy engine is physically smaller, carries weight lower in the car, weighs less (all aluminum), has more torque, gets similar power, better gas mileage, easier to maintain, cheaper to build and much simpler design.   It also hauls ass like an American V8.  But "only" revs to about 6500.  Head to head, the Chevy wins most of the performance contests.  Certainly Ford builds some higher performance versions that are faster like the Shelby version but Chevy has a supercharged version too.  

I'll say in the real world that 435 HP is adequate with a 6 speed manual.  If I turn off all the traction nannies it's real handful and I've nearly binned at time or two.  OTOH, I rode shotgun on 600+ HP supercharged 'vette on a road course  and with launch control, the 80 year old driver had me screaming like a baby.

Being a Chevy guy, my youngest son had to get a Focus ST.  That kid can break a rock, so lots of the Ford ticky tac is breaking.  It has some strange repair stuff like axle bearings and the like.   It eats tires, shakes unexpectedly and has the most non intuitive ergos of anything I've ever driven- even to the point of adjusting the seats, plus annoying chimes and sounds.  But it's a total hoot to drive.  And zooming through traffic, it's size and agility make it a fast ride that I'd have hard time matching with my Corvette.  I've always liked hot hatches and nearly bought one before I found a low mileage 'vette.  There are plenty of pampered used ones at bargain prices.

Yep agree with all of that, the last car I owned for 12 years before the RS was a 5.6L 6 speed Monaro ( Pontiac GTO) to you guys and I am a big fan of the Chevs. My dream is to build a Cobra replica or GT40 replica (RSR) and for that the sensible and easy choice would be a Chev crate engine but I think I'd end up using a Ford twin cam of one version or another.

If you think the ST a hoot to drive the RS is in another league. AWD and 375HP with a simple hand held tune in it and old school "bugger the ride quality we're here to go around corners suspension. I need to watch myself after scaring some other motorists at roundabouts in attack mode.The wife loves the fast corners which is a bonus as well.

Ciao

  

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, po18guy said:

Technology is a marvelous thing. When certain southern Europeans - those known much more for passion than precision try it, well, not so much. Guzzi is perpetually cash-strapped. A simple revised head on the existing block and cylinders might well have been a go. But look at the high cam debacle. Certainly there are many that run well. The rest, we hear about here and elsewhere.

In motorbikes, the 1983-1985 Honda CB650SC was about perfect. Air-cooled 4 in-line, DOHC/24 valves, but with hydraulic lash adjustment. Shaft drive. Maintenance was basically filters and oil. Occasional plugs. Could Piaggio/Guzzi do that? "Technically", yes. The very thought however is somewhat troubling.  

Technology is a two-edged sword. We bought a 2001 Lexus IS300 (Toyota Altezza) with the intention of driving it into the ground over the decades. We have in fact nearly done that. Nice straight six, DOHC, VVT all of the swag. But cam belts are a $1,000 proposition when on special! Engineering, at some point, becomes only a motivator to purchase the next generation of product, as the last gen is bankrupting one.

Yep, your paying Lexus freight there, like Ducati owner have been paying Ducati "freight" for years. Belts are Passe now chains are back. Hopefully gears are next:)

Ciao 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hence the reason I started this. The "No Words" parts....

Copy n paste

8 minutes ago, docc said:

Interesting. I wish we could move all that discussion to this thread from "Post a Picture of Your V11 - No words" . . .

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Paradiso said:

The CCM GP450 has the front sprocket at the pivot as you mention.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk
 

and it makes better sense on a dirt bike because of the extra travel but I thought it would have been commonplace. 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, knumbnutz said:

Hence the reason I started this. The "No Words" parts....

Copy n paste

 

Thanks for putting the new thread up, knumbnutz.  This has been too valuable a discussion to lose.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Thats an impressive piece of individual engineering if thats what it is. As I mentioned previously though it's totally unworkable as any sort of serious motorcycle from a dynamic point of view. Pitty if thats what the aim was but I doubt it is. The frame is a case in point nicely done of course but I cant imagine any considerations with regard to the important controlled flex has been a consideration which is important for track handling. I'm always torn with these things. The creative engineer in me loves it but the pragmatic side always requires me to rationalise it. Guess thats why I'm not a "creative" or artist.

The Britten was the same, loved the bike and the man behind it but it was a pig of a race bike and anyone that's been involved in racing can see that. Horribly high C of G  which made it a truck in the tight stuff unstable in the fast corners, rear off the ground on the brakes and wheelie everywhere out of the corners. 

I always come away with more respect for the professional designers and engineers when I see these individual constructors and am amazed by the talent and creative flair of the individual builders. Happy all around I guess. 

Ciao 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Built by the technician Gattuso , with the collaboration of the brothers Gennari, of Verolanuova BS. On the valve cover there is a G with the tail. The meaning of this "logo" stands for G squared, or the two Gennari brothers, and the G's tail, to remember Gattuso's little dog.

50196637078_96bef9e400_o.jpg

50197184466_c6841a8872_o.jpg

50197184521_38ecd87d83_o.jpg

50196637128_2f32aca6fb_o.jpg

50197184526_058029fd1b_o.jpg

50197184566_d511f3cc1d_o.jpg[

50197448682_ecd4444c3f_o.jpg

50197448687_007ebb5352_o.jpg

50196636958_1ccce90859_o.jpg

50196637003_5f74813a72_o.jpg

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Lucky Phil said:

Thats an impressive piece of individual engineering if thats what it is. As I mentioned previously though it's totally unworkable as any sort of serious motorcycle from a dynamic point of view. Pitty if thats what the aim was but I doubt it is. The frame is a case in point nicely done of course but I cant imagine any considerations with regard to the important controlled flex has been a consideration which is important for track handling. I'm always torn with these things. The creative engineer in me loves it but the pragmatic side always requires me to rationalise it. Guess thats why I'm not a "creative" or artist.

The Britten was the same, loved the bike and the man behind it but it was a pig of a race bike and anyone that's been involved in racing can see that. Horribly high C of G  which made it a truck in the tight stuff unstable in the fast corners, rear off the ground on the brakes and wheelie everywhere out of the corners. 

I always come away with more respect for the professional designers and engineers when I see these individual constructors and am amazed by the talent and creative flair of the individual builders. Happy all around I guess. 

Ciao 

Funny you should say that about the britten as I havent heard it before but, when I watch it go around I have always thought that it didnt look right, like they werent really trying to either protect the bike or they couldnt right it hard through the corners. It never seemed to want to lean. Of course I havent ridden it but I have seen plenty of footage and seen it live on the track.

I am not completely convinced it its unworkable and sit on the fence, since I havent seen it run on a track. My knees are far wider than the heads and as seen in one of the pics with a full fairing, the heads don't poke out too much. Now I not saying its a V4 panigale beater either. It would just be nice to see it running around a track and how it performs against a MGS01 for example, if its faster than that, then i would call it successful.

I am searching for specs too. 

At the end, the biggest shame is that Guzzi don't make something that is more modern. 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, knumbnutz said:

Funny you should say that about the britten as I havent heard it before but, when I watch it go around I have always thought that it didnt look right, like they werent really trying to either protect the bike or they couldnt right it hard through the corners. It never seemed to want to lean. Of course I havent ridden it but I have seen plenty of footage and seen it live on the track.

I am not completely convinced it its unworkable and sit on the fence, since I havent seen it run on a track. My knees are far wider than the heads and as seen in one of the pics with a full fairing, the heads don't poke out too much. Now I not saying its a V4 panigale beater either. It would just be nice to see it running around a track and how it performs against a MGS01 for example, if its faster than that, then i would call it successful.

I am searching for specs too. 

At the end, the biggest shame is that Guzzi don't make something that is more modern. 

 

Years later guys that rode it are a little more forthcoming about it's handling. I remember seeing it at PI years ago and looked at its lap times and recall it was about as fast around there as a good 600 Supersport bike at the time. A mate of mine worked as a race mechanic for one of the factory ASBK teams back in the Britten days and raced his own bikes as well. At Bathurst one year the Britten came over and all he could say was the whole Kiwi operation that weekend was a shambles. It never ran right and they didn't even have enough tools to work on it. I recall him saying a Ducati 900ss passed it on the straight, albeit it was running poorly. JB was a brilliant engineer but I think it's fair to say the hard tedious slog of refinement and development wasn't his forte. 

The main reason the Raceco Guzzi could give it some competition in the BOTT from time to time was Paul Lewis was jockey sized gun rider and much under rated and the Guzzi was far more manageable in the handling department. 

The heads on the latest iteration with the red cam covers look a lot wider than the earlier black heads.  

Ciao

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Lucky Phil said:

Yep, your paying Lexus freight there, like Ducati owner have been paying Ducati "freight" for years. Belts are Passe now chains are back. Hopefully gears are next:)

Ciao 

i.e. Lexus, it is almost cheaper to buy a low-mile engine/trans from a wreck and swap the entire mess over. Might just run it until it goes "bang!" then part it out to the zit-faced racers. A battery for our 2016 300 goes for $700 retail. No thank you! Can get a better than OEM US-made AGM batt for 1/3 of that, as the battery maker has no network of fancy showrooms with loaner cars, free snacks and bottled water. 

As to the Testa Rossa Guzzi, I'll bet there's ample room to place a couple of Japanese 500cc water pumps and a curved rad in there, driven by two of those sprockets. Then, compression could go even higher and torque alongside, for not a whole lot of weight. All air cooling concessions could be excised, gaining a bit back.

As to frame stiffness, the swingarm and technically the forks/front wheel could be flexed up a bit.  Or the frame could be rendered in carbon. Look, we are fantasizing here, so the sky's the limit.

I would still be delighted with 4V pushrod heads.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...