Water in Tank Flange

Kane

Here’s something to be careful off, and perhaps there’s a solution?

Yesterday I gave the Green Goddess her bi-weekly bath (whether she needs it or not!). Took her for a ride to dry off. This morning I check the gas level in the tank, and the spill-over gas tank flange (the moat that goes around the tank’s filler hole) is full of water. I am hoping that water doesn’t make it past the gasket and I guess the excess water drains out the hole in to the atmosphere or fuel recovery system. However, after taking the bike for a good run after washing yesterday I am surprised to see so much water still there. Does this sound normal or is there a concern to be addressed here? I have never noticed this before, but will probably cover the gas filler area the next time I wash the bike.

This should drain off through the overflow. Check to make sure the overflow is not blocked or its hose kinked?

When using a pressurized hose to spray the Sport, I try to use minimum pressure and volume while being careful not to direst the spray onto sensitive areas (electrics, gauges etc). Then use an electric air blower to get water out of traps and crevices.

• Thanks 1

There are actually two drains in the moat. The raised one is for gas to go to the cannisters and the flush one drains to the ground. the flush one is about the 7 o'clock position(while sitting on the bike) and may just be covered with debris. Inner cable from a bicycle brake or some 80 Lb test fishing line  will rooter it clear.

Paul B:bier:

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

36 minutes ago, paulnaz said:

There are actually two drains in the moat. The raised one is for gas to go to the cannisters and the flush one drains to the ground. the flush one is about the 7 o'clock position(while sitting on the bike) and may just be covered with debris. Inner cable from a bicycle brake or some 80 Lb test fishing line  will rooter it clear.

Paul B:bier:

Right, the raised one for fuel vapor "recovery" gets captured by a seal under the gas cap when it is closed to create a closed system (assuming the charcoal canisters and one-way check valve are installed).

"Tank suck" led to some or all of this being defeated over time.  If the greater gas cap seal is functional, water in "the trough" should not enter the the tank unless the drain is blocked and the level is deep enough to spill in when the cap is opened  . . . :o

7 hours ago, Kane said:

Thank you, guys. I’ll take another look and try cleaning the drain.

Yes docc and paulnaz are correct. Personally I dont think I've actually washed a bike for years, its something I try to avoid because it introduces problems. I wouldn't advise washing a bike unless it was unavoidable and necessary. When I do I just use a detergent and water mix and apply it to the bits with road grime and confine the hose to those parts with gentle spray only enough to wash it off. Everything else including wheels,bodywork and screen etc gets sprayed with Mr Sheen furniture polish. It takes off bug spatter as well. It's all we used to use at the race track to clean the bike and screen etc including the IOM where the bike is caked with flies after most races and practice. The switch gear gets Armour all. As I said personally I think washing with water and suds should be kept to a minimum on a road bike. Nothing much benefits from it , wheel bearings, instruments, wiring, chain drives, switch gear. Only after a ride in the rain do I approach the bike with water and detergent and then very sparingly as outlined.

Ciao   

• Like 2

Can't imagine my bikes without washing for years,  up here at 59d, so a lot of gentle cleaning comes with the territority. Australia'n continent moved 1.5m north the last 22years, but that probably didn't change your need to wash  :rasta:

Cheers tom.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1