New Strange Clicking Sound

TimB MV

I had just returned from a small vacation, I want to roll my v11 Le Mans out of my garage. I was holding the clutch in, it was in gear I only rolled a few feet and stopped. I clicked it in neutral and it rolled back just fine. After starting the bike in neutral and letting it warm up, I put the bike in gear and it stalled. Put the bike back in neutral, and it started up again. This time after putting it in gear, it struggled to start going. Once the bike was moving it seem to be OK. Well riding it, I could feel a strange feeling in the clutch handle. The bike was not running very smooth at first, but seem to work itself out as I rode it around the block a few times.

I got up this morning and wanted to check a few things. I got on the bike, without starting it, and holding the clutch in. I was rolling it back-and-forth there was a new clicking noise coming from below. I’m not sure if this is coming from the clutch, or the gearbox. Does anybody have any leads to where I might start looking at this problem. I’m not sure I wanna write it very much, even though it did ride fine once it warmed up. I don’t want to do any damage to my engine. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks Pete.. You seem pretty sure... On the difficulty scale.. how bad is it to replace the clutch?? I’m a marginal mechanic.. but I live on an island and I’d have to ship/transport it off to get it to a shop! Any tips/recommendations??🤙🏻

You need a couple of burly mates to help lift the frame off the motive unit or you can slip the engine off the gearbox by pulling it forward. There's a lot of work involved. Replacing the clutch is not hard but if your mechanical skills aren't up to much it would be better to farm it out.

Before you go all in it might be worth pulling the swingarm and checking the clutch thrust bearing but I'll pretty much guarantee it's the clutch going west.

Roger That Pete.. I did my research and quickly came to the fact this is not a job I should tackle..

I’ve been able to work on smaller issues..trace and fix an oil leak.. diagnosed and replaced the stador and regulator on my own.. but this is a job for a professional!!

I thank you for your input.. this forum really helps people!! Stay safe!!🤙🏻🍀

Yes, the 'Chinky-Chinky-Chinky' sound when the clutch is pulled is made by the intermediate plate teeth rattling in the flywheel splines as the flywheel accelerates and decelerates with the power pulses of the engine.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The sound of pulled clutch is ok. But when I release the clutch lever (the lever doesn't touch the handlebar) the sound of the engine isn't the same. Sometimes it is very noisy and sometimes it's quite silent. The same effect is after revving the engine. Sometimes the idle knocking is silent. Sometimes very loud.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Koudy01 said:

The sound of pulled clutch is ok. But when I release the clutch lever (the lever doesn't touch the handlebar) the sound of the engine isn't the same. Sometimes it is very noisy and sometimes it's quite silent. The same effect is after revving the engine. Sometimes the idle knocking is silent. Sometimes very loud.

I've mentioned before in posts that the sound of the clutch engaged changes depending on how you release the lever as well. On my bike ( previous 2 valver with std twin plate clutch) when I start it and it settles into an idle the clutch will be a little rattly. If you then give the clutch a quick as you can disengage and re engage it quietens down by a good 75%. So a quick pull and release of the lever and it quietens down. I assume its the friction and drive plates re aligning on the splines and taking out some of the backlash. I used to do it after every start to avoid public humiliation and so people wouldn't think I was riding a Ducati:)

Ciao 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1