Anyone successfully use one of those quick-release tank bag adapter rings?

jtucker

For example:
https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/sw-motech-quick-lock-evo-tankring-adapter-kit

Or any of the similar ones from other companies.

My 20 year old Moto Guzzi bag that I got with the bike has been starting to fray, and I've already had to sew up a blown seam. Starting to explore my options. My assumption is that there must be an adapter out there such as these which will fit the V11 Sport, even though the manufacturer doesn't list one. Hoping someone here might know.

Thanks!

__Jason

• Like 1

I have one on my Rosso Corsa Lemans...Having owned a lot of Aprilias I recognized the cap .

Order the tank ring for a 2002-2005 Aprilia Tuono...same exact thing..went right on in 10 minutes..Got it from AF! racing

https://www.af1racing.com/store/Scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=94017&sku=TW-TRT.00.640.17500.B&description=SW+Motech+Quick+Lock+Gas+Cap+Tank+Ring

I have the Quick lock " Evo Daypack" and the Quick lock "Evo SPORT" tank bags got them from Revzilla 

Love them 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, KINDOY2 said:

I have one on my Rosso Corsa Lemans...Having owned a lot of Aprilias I recognized the cap .

Order the tank ring for a 2002-2004 Aprilia Tuono...same exact thing..went right on in 10 minutes..I have the Quick lock " Evo Daypack" and the Quick lock "Evo SPORT" tank bags

Love them 

thanks Kindoy2. got pics of your kit by chance?

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, footgoose said:

thanks Kindoy2. got pics of your kit by chance?

Sure...Pic of the ring..they are fairly un obtrusive, and Pics of Sport Bag and Daypack bag..they also make larger ones..I like them because they do not touch the paint and they are very secure...not sliding all over the place..easy quick release of your bag  on and  off when you want to add fuel.

.IMG_5209.jpgIMG_5212.jpgIMG_5214.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Got one on my 2000 V11 sport. The only trouble that I  had is the thick foam strip forward of the gas cap,makes it hard to install the bag. You have to really push down hard to get it to latch. I considered shining up the attach ring with some shims, but that would make the ring stand out more, so I  decided that I  would live with just compressing  the foam down when I  mount the bag. The latter bikes had smooth tank tops,no problem with them.

1 hour ago, Vic said:

Got one on my 2000 V11 sport. The only trouble that I  had is the thick foam strip forward of the gas cap,makes it hard to install the bag. You have to really push down hard to get it to latch. I considered shining up the attach ring with some shims, but that would make the ring stand out more, so I  decided that I  would live with just compressing  the foam down when I  mount the bag. The latter bikes had smooth tank tops,no problem with them.

I'm thinking by "foam strip" you are referring to the "chin pad" of early tanks? I found this thread by @cash1000 , but can see what you mean by making the ring stand out more.

Also, be aware that deforming the chin pad can make them prone to loss by compromising the attachments underneath:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

6 hours ago, Vic said:

I would think that one thing you could do is take the screws that they send you which go in through the inside of the bag to attach the other half of the mount to the underside of the bag ,to the hardware store and get some screws which are that thread but a little longer to accomodate placing a matching spacer/shim of some sort the between the bag and the underside mount, rather than raising the tank ring off the tank  raise the bag whatever gap needed ( probably not much..to ease the pressure off the chin pad?? .   Just a thought.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Thanks Doc,couldn't think of the official name for this part, but "chin pad" sounds right, also good heads up on compressing this pad, I'd sure hate to loose it.

Kindoy2, good thinking on the bag shimming,  this fix never occurred to me. Just goes to show that combined,great minds can fix any problem.

I'm going to give it a try.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Vic said:

Thanks Doc,couldn't think of the official name for this part, but "chin pad" sounds right, also good heads up on compressing this pad, I'd sure hate to loose it.

Kindoy2, good thinking on the bag shimming,  this fix never occurred to me. Just goes to show that combined,great minds can fix any problem.

I'm going to give it a try.

Heh, well, my parts catalog says "plug block." :huh:

I'm sure that sounds better in Italian... :mg:

• Haha 2

I'm going to have to check a not-too-far-away Yamaha shop that had a lot of Givi stuff hanging on the wall. Maybe cut a deal (right...) on a bag, then find an Aprilia mount for it. OK, trivia: which year Aprilias use that tank cap pattern?

As it is, I can't even get my tank bags to stick using static cling!

31 minutes ago, po18guy said:

I'm going to have to check a not-too-far-away Yamaha shop that had a lot of Givi stuff hanging on the wall. Maybe cut a deal (right...) on a bag, then find an Aprilia mount for it. OK, trivia: which year Aprilias use that tank cap pattern?

My bike has an Aprilia RSV cap. Anything from around 2000-2002 will work from memory. You can also just pull the cap assy off ( the cap and surround are held on with 3 screws and take it along to be sure.

Ciao

• Like 1

4 hours ago, po18guy said:

OK, trivia: which year Aprilias use that tank cap pattern?

The one linked upthread at AF1 says it works with:

'07-'15 Shiver, '18 Shiver 900, '98-'03 Mille, Mille-R, '02-'05 Tuono, '00-'03 Falco, '01-'07 Caponord, '01-'04 Futura.

I just ordered one, and also 1 each of the "Micro" and "Sport" tank bags. The Micro is the one I would expect to use primarily - I really just want something big enough to carry my flat tire kit and maybe a a few other sundry items. Looks perfect.

__Jason

• Like 3

This is excellent news. I have the SW Motech tank ring setup on my Strom and it works great. I'll be ordering a ring for my V11 too. The AF1 guys are really helpful and responsible for getting my Guzzi obsession started back in 2010 with my first Griso purchase. Damn demo rides...

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

On 8/15/2020 at 3:55 PM, po18guy said:

I put the link to the one you need in the first post on this thread..it tells you the part number and all the models this one fits..doubt anyone would have one in stock..but AF! can get you one in about a week, they are good at shipping and ordering.  If you tell em or any other dealer that it's for a Guzzi they wont have a clue as the manufacturer doesn't even realize its the same as these Aprilias

https://www.af1racing.com/store/Scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=94017&sku=TW-TRT.00.640.17500.B&description=SW+Motech+Quick+Lock+Gas+Cap+Tank+Ring

• Like 2