Apex bar riser installation

bridge

At 61 I can endure my Lemans riding position for one hour but not three. I checked out all the bar riser options and chose the Apex 4" Riser Clip-On Set @ $269 delivered. They seemed to offer adjustments in every dimension, with the possibility that I would not have to change any hoses, cables, or lines. I first tried the Apex clamps on top of the triple clamp plate without changing the position of the clamp on the forks. The left side went perfectly, but the right side throttle cable wouldn't reach that far. I then pulled the triple clamp and placed the Apex riser clamps beneath the plate, reinstalling the plate to be even with the top of the fork caps. After trying every possible position (and after discovering the starter button housing has a pin and that I needed to drill the bar), I got it all to work and to feel right from the rider position. I will include more pictures in separate posts (the size of attachments is very limited). 

Three questions -- (and please let me know if I did anything really wrong) 

(1) The threaded cap at the center of the triple clamp plate no longer reaches the threads, as the clamp has been raised. What replacement fastener I should look for? I imagine not replacing it would be a very bad idea. 

(2) Will there be noticeable changes to the front end handling since I raised the clamp about an inch? 

(3) The PO kindly left a Throttlemeister on the bars. I pulled off the weighted bar ends with no trouble, but I can't figure out how to removed the inserts in the stock bars in order to install the Throttlemeister in the new bars. Anyone know how to do this? 

Apex Triple.jpeg

2 minutes ago, bridge said:

How do you insert more photographs than the limit of 0.2MB allows? 

I copied the "Image Location" from your duplicate thread and pasted into your reply, then deleted the duplicate thread.

(Hope that's okay, bud . . . )

• Like 1

I think you need to put the upper triple clamp back down where it was and use the original center cap bolt. Then lower the fork tubes in both the upper and lower clamps to achieve the same bar height position you have now.  This position will slightly change handling as you are lengthening the forks, but I doubt noticeably.

sorry if I'm misreading this situation but I'll suggest it another way. Leaving all the upper stuff as is (but loosen the center pinch bolt on the upper triple clamp) then loosen the fork pinch bolts on the lower clamp, and slide the whole mess down through the lower clamp holes. The relation between the top of the forks and the upper clamp and your bar position will remain the same as it is now. The center cap bolt will go back as it was before you removed it. There should be no change to the cables fitting. This is essentially "lowering" the forks in the clamp, and raising the bike in relation to the road. 

Keep in mind you'll have to raise and brace the front of the bike and possibly remove the front wheel to do this. I've not done it without the front wheel off so I couldn't say for sure.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bridge said:

At 61 I can endure my Lemans riding position for one hour but not three. I checked out all the bar riser options and chose the Apex 4" Riser Clip-On Set @ $269 delivered. They seemed to offer adjustments in every dimension, with the possibility that I would not have to change any hoses, cables, or lines. I first tried the Apex clamps on top of the triple clamp plate without changing the position of the clamp on the forks. The left side went perfectly, but the right side throttle cable wouldn't reach that far. I then pulled the triple clamp and placed the Apex riser clamps beneath the plate, reinstalling the plate to be even with the top of the fork caps. After trying every possible position (and after discovering the starter button housing has a pin and that I needed to drill the bar), I got it all to work and to feel right from the rider position. I will include more pictures in separate posts (the size of attachments is very limited). 

Three questions -- (and please let me know if I did anything really wrong) 

(1) The threaded cap at the center of the triple clamp plate no longer reaches the threads, as the clamp has been raised. What replacement fastener I should look for? I imagine not replacing it would be a very bad idea. 

(2) Will there be noticeable changes to the front end handling since I raised the clamp about an inch? 

(3) The PO kindly left a Throttlemeister on the bars. I pulled off the weighted bar ends with no trouble, but I can't figure out how to removed the inserts in the stock bars in order to install the Throttlemeister in the new bars. Anyone know how to do this? 

Apex Triple.jpeg

You cant leave the upper clamp in the position you have it. The underside of the clamp must be flush against the bearing adjuster nut. The upper clamp acts as a fail safe to prevent the bearing adjusting nut from the possibility of backing off. 

Ciao

• Like 3

Excellent -- thank you. I put it back to rights after dinner, and by keeping the clip-on clamps below the triple clamp and extending the bar post all the way up (4"), was able to get the rise I wanted, keep the stock hoses and cables, and not worry about disturbing the front end. Will post photos tomorrow. 

• Like 1