"decent tune-up" coach in OR?

daviscr5

I'm curious if there is anyone in Oregon who has experience performing docc's decent tune-up and would be willing to share tools and knowledge?

No problems adjusting valves, installing fresh plugs or changing the oil, but the rest of the procedure has me scratching my head.  I'd enjoy learning more about maintaining my V11, rather than dropping off at a garage in town.  I'm in Central OR, and will be happy to pay with beer, bourbon, fine Italian wine, etc.  Thanks!

• Like 3

i'm no coach, that's for sure.  but if you're ever up west of Portland area (north plains) on a ride, i'm willing to offer what i have, which is some shop space plus the stuff i've needed to get/keep my machines in good shape.   i'm no expert with the V11, but am comfortable with the whole process, basically as spelled out in the docc's decent tune up, though based on what you've written I'm guessing you're largely referring to the computer stuff?  if so, i've got an old windows machine with guzzidiag installed and the cables set up and working for my 2 V11's, and what's needed for TPS, and then other more common things like my old twinmax, and just-arrived-yesterday new carbtune toy/tool to mess with at some point to supplement the duty of the twinmax. 

Time is much more limited for me this time of year, with work being busy and the ideal riding season being short and precious, but glad to offer what i can.   I'm in Bend every month or two for a couple days for R&R when i can, and could bring you something you needed if i have it.  wish i was there in Bend more, but always seems to be too much going on.... a mixed blessing.  Was there a couple weeks ago on the Duc Enduro, touring around a bit on that gorgeous route 242 up over the lava fields, then over to the Aufderheide for both on-road twisties + scenery, and off-pavement exploring, then back to the budget-busting dinner at Bos Taurus (that crown jewel of steak joints!).  That largely defines the perfect day.  You live in a great place!  too bad so many others are figuring that out... we've had our condo there for decades, and have watched the metamorphosis.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Thank you for the generous offer! I may very well PM you later in the fall to try and coordinate a little shop time. Funny you have a Duc multi too.  I've had a few phone calls with the guys up at Motocorsa regarding a deal on a 950S multi.  I'm really tempted to sell my faithful little Strom for a multi but haven't been able to mentally get there yet. I'd like to know more about your Duc experience/impressions. I'm currently waiting on my speedo to arrive so I can get the V11 back on the road. Of course I screwed up 2 cylinder head threads (or they may have already been screwed up) when replacing the valve covers after inspection so I'm going to have those repaired at 6V Cycles here in Bend. The shop has great reviews and the owner actually has a handful of old Guzzis himself.  I still prefer to do most of my routine maintenance when I can.

Bend is a great place. Central OR in general is wonderful. The wife and I did an early morning hike up Broken Top mountain yesterday and marveled at how accessible outdoor activities are in this part of the state. I certainly couldn't be door-to-trailhead in less than an hour, a year ago before we moved to Bend from Florida. I can already appreciate how fast this town is growing and I agree that its cover as lesser a known getaway is probably blown. I'm glad I made it under the wire before real estate gets completely out of control.  I've ridden the exact route you mentioned above. It is awesome and makes for nearly a full day of twisties in the saddle. I typically run from 242 to 126 to 19 to 58 east per your route but haven't found a fun way to get back to Bend. I'd love to know what route you take from West Fir back to Bend. Cascade Lakes Hwy is a drone.  Thanks again!

22 hours ago, gstallons said:

Keep the VStrom . The object is to keep them , not get rid of them .

Wise words spoken by a true sage. Funny, I took the Strom out this afternoon for an off-road excursion with a buddy who was on a Tiger 800. It may not excel at anything in particular, but it does a pretty damn good job at just about everything. I can't get rid of it... Now to find the right Duc that complements the stable:).

On 8/22/2020 at 8:34 AM, daviscr5 said:

Thank you for the generous offer! I may very well PM you later in the fall to try and coordinate a little shop time. Funny you have a Duc multi too.  I've had a few phone calls with the guys up at Motocorsa regarding a deal on a 950S multi.  I'm really tempted to sell my faithful little Strom for a multi but haven't been able to mentally get there yet. I'd like to know more about your Duc experience/impressions. I'm currently waiting on my speedo to arrive so I can get the V11 back on the road. Of course I screwed up 2 cylinder head threads (or they may have already been screwed up) when replacing the valve covers after inspection so I'm going to have those repaired at 6V Cycles here in Bend. The shop has great reviews and the owner actually has a handful of old Guzzis himself.  I still prefer to do most of my routine maintenance when I can.

Bend is a great place. Central OR in general is wonderful. The wife and I did an early morning hike up Broken Top mountain yesterday and marveled at how accessible outdoor activities are in this part of the state. I certainly couldn't be door-to-trailhead in less than an hour, a year ago before we moved to Bend from Florida. I can already appreciate how fast this town is growing and I agree that its cover as lesser a known getaway is probably blown. I'm glad I made it under the wire before real estate gets completely out of control.  I've ridden the exact route you mentioned above. It is awesome and makes for nearly a full day of twisties in the saddle. I typically run from 242 to 126 to 19 to 58 east per your route but haven't found a fun way to get back to Bend. I'd love to know what route you take from West Fir back to Bend. Cascade Lakes Hwy is a drone.  Thanks again!

Feel free to PM whenever... all good.  I generally park the V11's in the fall when the rains come, and then ride less and ride stuff with bigger windscreens and that i don't mind getting as dirty.  Many good all-weather V11 riders on this forum, and my hats off to 'em, and it makes me happy to read about them, but i've chosen at this point to make the v11's my "keep them shiny" bikes, and abuse other bikes.  But point is, i try hard to do most of my bike mx in the rainy season, with the wood stove going in the shop, and am game in the winter to offer whatever help i might be.

You mention the ducs.... i'm a big multi fan, having owned multiple Gran Canyons, the "grandaddy" of the Multi's, and then a couple air cooled multi's, then an early 1200, and now a multi enduro 1200.  Other than the PITA for doing the valves on the big, 8v water cooled engines, i love them, and the valve job is really only a thing every few years, and any more i just pay to have it done.  I've eyeballed the 950 MS lustfully many times, because the 1200 is a heavy beast, but i always come back to confirming that i love the multi enduro 1200 with its huge tank "the mostest".  The only issue with the size of the 1200 or 1260 is if going off-road.  Off pavement is fine, such as the FS roads around our beautiful state, but single track or technical stuff is just ridiculous on the top-heavy Enduro.  There are those who do it just fine, but just because it can be done doesn't for me translate into "hey, this is fun", because it just isn't.  Even if the top heavy-ness doesn't cause a crash or lay-down, you're still thinking about what a bitch it will be to get that bike back upright if it goes over an embankment.... you'll need several good, strong friends, or a heavy-lift helicopter to get it back on its feet, on the trail.  Getting it upright is one thing, and I can manage that, but upright from down a slope where its landed upside down.... that's what in your head as you navigate rocky single tracks on a steep slope, which leads to a death-grip on the bars and the consequent less graceful riding technique.    But man, the ridiculous amount of torque and HP, comfort, that 8gal tank, and the fact that i get between 42 and 49 mpg, depending on how i'm ridding it, makes for huge range, and just removes the worry from trip planning for gas stops. 

I have a KTM 990 for when i want to take a long distance machine on a good long ride but also go off road... its the best for that for me.  It's currently stuck in Alaska at a friends place, where covid and life have caused me to leave her un-loved now for this whole season.  A truly comfortable long distance machine, with that windshield that looks like a barn-door but works perfectly for me, and then its better center of gravity, and just all-around better manners for off-road.  it ain't no dirt bike, but for me is the best model in that little micro-slice of the riding segment.... where you want to be able to ride for days on tarmac but also be comfortable on some easy to medium single track.  I'd actually argue the the Cagiva Gran Canyon is the best for that (imho), but after riding them for years i finally admitted to myself that i'm just too tall to make it fit me.  The Duc enduro is the opposite... it's tall, and with that 8gal tank, it feels huge, but she's like a harley on the highway (in the good sense... comfortable, and with a ton more HP and handling thats not even remotely comparable).  A close friend of mine down there in Bend bought my nicer Gran Canyon a little while back, and is why i have two v11's... i have his beloved v11, as part of that trade.  He wanted more off-road option, and i loved his v11. 

I let myself get on a huge tangent there... forgive me.  all of that was to say that i think you'd LOVE the 950 MS, though i have not owned one.  I'd certainly want the tubeless spoke wheels, though i don't think i'd care as much about the cable clutch vs the later model offered hydraulic (normal) clutch.  And for what its worth, while you certainly can't beat a japanese bike for reliability, Ducs are just plain easy to maintain and are reliable these days.... gone are the days (for the most part) of the beloved but less trustworthy Bolognese machines.  Since 2010 (anecdotal, not scientific) my ducs have been drop dead realiable, with only the oddball issue now and then, just like my friends on their hondas and suzukis.  And importantly, despite what i said about my KTM and about japanese reliabilty, I try and keep it italian!

• Like 2