TPS Securing Screws - LocTite?

Tom in Virginia

Anyone know offhand if the TPS holddown screws have LocTite applied?.  The installed Torx holddown screw heads have yellow paint or Glyptal on them.  I am replacing the TORX screws with the SS socket head capscrews per docc's guidance in Decent Tuneup.  Thanks in advance.

4 hours ago, Tom in Virginia said:

Anyone know offhand if the TPS holddown screws have LocTite applied?.  The installed Torx holddown screw heads have yellow paint or Glyptal on them.  I am replacing the TORX screws with the SS socket head capscrews per docc's guidance in Decent Tuneup.  Thanks in advance.

Yep, nothing, it's pain in the arse to get adjusted right without loctite excess under the sensor making it even harder the next time.. The yellow paint is a factory thing so the factory assemblers can attest to the fact that they have been set. Some bikes have the same on major fasteners. The factory assembler installs the fastener,torques it up and then marks the bolt head with a paint pen to indicate it's been torqued. It's also in some cases a "tamper" indicator so the technician or mechanic can see if something like the "sacred screw" on the Griso or throttle balance arm has been played with or moved.

In the Aviation world it was referred to as "tamper proof putty"

Ciao

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Lucky Phil said:

Yep, nothing, it's pain in the arse to get adjusted right without loctite excess under the sensor making it even harder the next time.. The yellow paint is a factory thing so the factory assemblers can attest to the fact that they have been set. Some bikes have the same on major fasteners. The factory assembler installs the fastener,torques it up and then marks the bolt head with a paint pen to indicate it's been torqued. It's also in some cases a "tamper" indicator so the technician or mechanic can see if something like the "sacred screw" on the Griso or throttle balance arm has been played with or moved.

Ciao

Funny, after tampering with my Sport from new, I started looking at the yellow marking paint as "don't forget to mess with this one too!" :luigi:

• Like 2
  • Haha 2