5th gear whine

MotoDude

recently purchased 03 Stone has a whine in 5th gear.  Rats, I suppose it is going bad?  A Weird sound, no clunking though.

Hard to describe the sound going 50+ mph.  Anyone had this happen.

Naturally, I assume it is going out ? ?  What should it sound like going bad?

6 hours ago, MotoDude said:

recently purchased 03 Stone has a whine in 5th gear.  Rats, I suppose it is going bad?  A Weird sound, no clunking though.

Yes wildguzzi has 5 speed experts. A few things, some 5 speeds were straight cut gears and some helical. Straight cut gears are more winey than helicals. Some gears due to variations in gear cutting quality will just be winey, nothing wrong with them per say just noisy. 5 speeds also have tapered cone bearings on the shafts I believe and they require shimming so maybe this is an issue. I dont think what your box has is terminal but may require adjustment/attention.

Ciao      

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Humm haven't been here in a while, echo Phil's post and agree

If it's a 5 speeder I don't know they type of box installed to that particular model. The Sportis and HiCams had 5 speeders with the 3 dog clutch as opposed to the older 5 dog and they are pretty harsh on their internals. I thought all the V11s were 6 speeders shows what I know

If it's strraight cut then it would probably whine in all gears, but 5th is a known weak link in the 3 dog 5 speed boxes (if it is such a thing) and is usually first to go. The first signs are it whines louder than the other gears. The usual remedy is to put in a helical gear from a bike that's being parted out.

My guess is though by the time the V11s were being made all the boxes would have been helical.

If it's a 5 speeder then stripping the box is a lot simpler than many imagine, many moons back I did a write up when stripping down an LM 1000 box if you've never been there or a little apprehensive of taking it apart

http://www.thisoldtractor.com/guzzitech.dk/gb_en_complex-technical_gearbox-rebuilding-pictures.htm

Good God was it nearlly 10 years since I wrote that Jeez!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Weegie said:

Humm haven't been here in a while, echo Phil's post and agree

If it's a 5 speeder I don't know they type of box installed to that particular model. The Sportis and HiCams had 5 speeders with the 3 dog clutch as opposed to the older 5 dog and they are pretty harsh on their internals. I thought all the V11s were 6 speeders shows what I know

If it's strraight cut then it would probably whine in all gears, but 5th is a known weak link in the 3 dog 5 speed boxes (if it is such a thing) and is usually first to go. The first signs are it whines louder than the other gears. The usual remedy is to put in a helical gear from a bike that's being parted out.

My guess is though by the time the V11s were being made all the boxes would have been helical.

If it's a 5 speeder then stripping the box is a lot simpler than many imagine, many moons back I did a write up when stripping down an LM 1000 box if you've never been there or a little apprehensive of taking it apart

http://www.thisoldtractor.com/guzzitech.dk/gb_en_complex-technical_gearbox-rebuilding-pictures.htm

Good God was it nearlly 10 years since I wrote that Jeez!!

True for all V11 Sport/V11 LeMans and all of their variants with Spine Frames.

Easy to forget that the same era Tonti-framed bikes (V11 EV/California and all of their variants use the 5 speed gear box.

I reckon it is, technically, the motor of that era (1999-2005?) that is designated "V11."

On 8/19/2020 at 6:09 PM, MotoDude said:

This is standard on all 5th gears. It is not dangerous - just put something in your ears. But the fix is to renew both 5th gears to get rid of the "high" noice. Rolf

• Like 1