1973 Eldo, My Introduction to Guzzi

Tom in Virginia

Bought this motorcycle in 1979 from a guy in Marion VA.  I was 22 years young.  Rode the heck out of it until winter of 1982.   That was shortly after my oldest son was born.  The bike took a back seat to other life priorities (and my wife's insistence that I give up road bikes until both of our sons were grown).  She was okay, however, with riding the dirt instead.  So the Eldo got shuffled around, into sheds, onto and off front porches, finally into a garage I built.  At one point I tried to give it away.  Gratefully I never carried out with that plan.  Once I retired I still didn't have time to restore so I ended up hiring a guy to handle the task.  Here's a pic I took  couple of weeks ago on Fort Monroe, Hampton VA of her in fully restored condition.  She rides like an old bike, brakes and all.  But I love her.  Told the wife I'm gonna make a room in the house so she can stay warm and dry each winter.  Ha!, she said "no".

ELDO-at-Ft-Monroe.jpg

Edited by Tom in Virginia
spelling
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 2

45 minutes ago, Tom in Virginia said:

The line is long.  I told my son's they could decide between them who gets it when I'm gone.

Well, then, I'll be first on this list, "If you ever decide to sell it . . . I'm taking you out behind the shed and beat some sense into you!" :grin:

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Tom in Virginia said:

Bought this motorcycle in 1979 from a guy in Marion VA.  I was 22 years young.  Rode the heck out of it until winter of 1982.   That was shortly after my oldest son was born.  The bike took a back seat to other life priorities (and my wife's insistence that I give up road bikes until both of our sons were grown).  She was okay, however, with riding the dirt instead.  So the Eldo got shuffled around, into sheds, onto and off front porches, finally into a garage I built.  At one point I tried to give it away.  Gratefully I never carried out with that plan.  Once I retired I still didn't have time to restore so I ended up hiring a guy to handle the task.  Here's a pic I took  couple of weeks ago on Fort Monroe, Hampton VA of her in fully restored condition.  She rides like an old bike, brakes and all.  But I love her.  Told the wife I'm gonna make a room in the house so she can stay warm and dry each winter.  Ha!, she said "no".

ELDO-at-Ft-Monroe.jpg

I love it when people keep a bike or car for a significant percentage of their life. A tangible, physical connection to their life journey and history. I've sold so many things over time and all I have to show for it at the end of the day is some soulless cash in the bank. Very nice.

Phil  

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Lucky Phil said:

I love it when people keep a bike or car for a significant percentage of their life. A tangible, physical connection to their life journey and history. Very nice.

Phil  

Rode it from Idaho to Virginia in May 1980.  2200 miles in 3 days.  Back then I was pretty tough.  Now at 63, if I do 400 miles in a day then I'm done for a few days.  Wouldn't trade my memories on this bike for anything.

• Like 5

Dissected aortas , detached retinas , cartilage gone ............ Every man has his Kryptonite .  

Last year I dropped my V-Strom under the carport . after 4 attempts to get it up , one of my neighbors picked it up like it was a bicycle . 4 chiro visits later , I know better !

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, gstallons said:

Dissected aortas , detached retinas , cartilage gone ............ Every man has his Kryptonite .  

Last year I dropped my V-Strom under the carport . after 4 attempts to get it up , one of my neighbors picked it up like it was a bicycle . 4 chiro visits later , I know better !

I feel ya!  14 misc surgeries, need another 3 to get both my hands right and 2 more on my knees.  Can't pick a box of milk outta the fridge but I CAN still twist the throttle! :bike:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

22 hours ago, Tom in Virginia said:

I feel ya!  14 misc surgeries, need another 3 to get both my hands right and 2 more on my knees.  Can't pick a box of milk outta the fridge but I CAN still twist the throttle! :bike:

14 ? Did they make a show about you starring Lee Majors ?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I am going to advertise .........

FYI , If you have carpal tunnel problems , a chiro can fix it if it is not too far gone . 

If you have the surgery , you will be "fixed" but you not be able to pick up the carton of milk either . 

• Like 1