Relays

Colorobo

If the 1100 Sport-i uses one relay (like the V11) for fuel injectors, fuel pump, and ignition coils, that one will definitely benefit from the High Current OMRON.  I seem to recall there are fewer relays in the Sport-i (3?), but IDK for sure.

For any micro ISO relay application, I can't see any downside to using the High Current OMRON.  Do the Sport-i relays have the same base configuration?

https://www.onlinecomponents.com/omron-electronics/g8he1c7trdc12-42670683.html

• Like 1

I pulled mine to see what type they are, and to my surprise all of them are 4 blade relays. Should not the #1 position (counting from front to back of bike) be a 5 blade relay? I have had no trouble as far as I know in around a year of ownership. 

Here’s a pic. #1-#4 are the black LKK, and #5 is the blue. Are these the originals, or more likely replacements with using the same 4 blade for #1? As far as having 4 vs 5 blades for #1 (if that’s the correct position for the 5 blade), what I’m I missing with having only 4 blades?

As I understand it, a good 30A 5 blade will work in all 5 positions? I think I should probably upgrade to be safe. Looking at the links for the OMRONs and the GEIs on Dan’s site, OMRON is U.S.A. and not sealed, GEI is Chinese and sealed, and about half the cost of the OMRON. Is the OMRON worth the extra cost?

Thanks!

8E8C1012-BAC2-4E2F-ADC2-FA806807ECCC.jpeg

1E75D05C-47DE-4BA1-B012-3F9DDAB6FE4A.jpeg

Yes, the first position is 5-pin. The sealing is insignificant. Seal them yourself if you like, it's easy.

When talking about so little money, why not just spend the extra few dollars and get properly rated relays? Some report they have run the cheap Chinese or even factory Siemens without issue. Yet, I have seen and watched reports of numerous relay related issues. Especially with 10amp/20amp ratings. 

• Thanks 1

Makes sense. Docc, for the link you provide above for the OMRONs from OnlineComponents, those relays are STDP, but also available as SPST. Is the STDP the correct version? Thanks

Right, as I understand, Single Pole Double Throw (SPDT) is the correct 5-pin with both NO  (Normally Open) and NC (Normally Closed) contacts.

It appears the 1C7T is the correct SPDT. 

• Thanks 1

Here is more information to add the mix regarding relays:

My bike is a 2001 V11 Sport, with a production date on the VIN plate of 5-2000. After changing my relays I see only 4 spade connectors in relay socket #1, i.e., all of the relay sockets in this bike have 4 spade connectors, including socket #1 which should have 5. I have not delved into a detailed schematic diagram for the bike’s wiring, but according to the parts catalog the #1 relay is different than #2-#5, which suggests that #1 is a 5 blade. But on this particular bike no 5th connector is included for socket #1.
Does anyone know what the 5th connector in socket #1 is for?

BAE30E4C-68E2-421D-AB4E-890FB01986BC.jpeg

How odd! :blink:

Relay#1 is the Start Relay. When the NO (Normally Open) contact is pulled in with the Start Button, power is sent to the Starter Solenoid. When the contact flips back to the NC (Normally Closed/ "5th") contact, power is directed to Relay #2 for headlights/brake(stop) light/tachometer/warning indicator lights/voltage reference.

This effectively defeats all of that power draw during cranking. Does your headlight go out while cranking?

• Thanks 2

Yep . You can consider this a load shedding relay .  It removes the headlight system to concentrate on the ignition / starting system . 

Pretty good idea !

5 minutes ago, Kane said:

Thanks very much for that info!

My light flickers a little while cranking, but it stays on.

Your headlight flickers ? Look at your wiring diagram . It shouldn't . You may have a problem with one or more relays ( provided the wiring is good ) and you need to replace the headlight relay or all of them w/the Omron relays . 

• Like 1

Actually, I just put all new OMRON’s in today. This was how I noticed the lack of  the 5th connector in socket #1. The headlight flickers, or perhaps it’s more of a quick dimming action than a full off-on flicker, when the starter first cranks. This is a quick event as the bike starts right up. The light stays on, though. Perhaps Luigi had a second glass of Chianti with lunch the day that he wired up my bike. 

• Confused 1