Very strange electrical problem

NicoNZ

4 hours ago, docc said:

I wish that made sense to me. Pretty sure there was more than one or two negative terminals on my RedFrame.  I know the later wiring is different.

[edit: two plus the main ground=3 on the RedFrame Sport.]

Sorry I couldnt load the whole image due to it's size.

Ciao

9 hours ago, Lucky Phil said:

Sorry I couldnt load the whole image due to it's size.

Ciao

Makes sense. Pretty sure there are other grounds indicated on the wiring diagram that actually are terminals at the battery, but the diagram does not make that clear. Wouldn't it be great if this were as simple as one of the ground wires got pushed out of sight?

Still, must agree with Lucky Phil that a broken wire at the Ignition Switch can be the culprit.

9 hours ago, docc said:

Makes sense. Pretty sure there are other grounds indicated on the wiring diagram that actually are terminals at the battery, but the diagram does not make that clear. Wouldn't it be great if this were as simple as one of the ground wires got pushed out of sight?

Still, must agree with Lucky Phil that a broken wire at the Ignition Switch can be the culprit.

Yes well it was great. One of the wires had been sitting down in the swingarm area naked to the eye. The last thing I did was put the battery frame and battery in so with this wire coming from a different direction..I am sure its the main earth to the gearbox I couldn't. I couldn't see it due to the bodywork and everything else masking my view. Once the battery frame was out I could just make out the wire so pulled at it and sure enough she is all go again.

Thanks for all your help.....feeling stupid but I can confirm that there are three positive and three negative leads to the battery on the 03 model.....which I will not forget again!!

Ciao

Nick

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

You need to pinch the rear brake hose when you are monkeying around with the pork chops ( I still don't know what I was up to ) and take off down the road . Yeehaaa ! You get two results , no rear brake n then rear brakes that won't release .......

• Confused 1

21 minutes ago, gstallons said:

You need to pinch the rear brake hose when you are monkeying around with the pork chops ( I still don't know what I was up to ) and take off down the road . Yeehaaa ! You get two results , no rear brake n then rear brakes that won't release .......

I bet Vinales wasn't shouting Yeehaaa during dismount at 220kph on discovery of no brakes over the weekend just gone!

But yeah a locked up rear brake is not a happy moment!

17 hours ago, docc said:

Winner,Winner, chicken dinner:)

Ciao 

• Haha 1

On 8/23/2020 at 4:43 AM, NicoNZ said:

Will  check tomorrow as it has been suggested I could have left an earth wire off the battery. I remember there being a few but I have only reconnected 2. Its been 5 months so memory is a little vague and the crafty little cable might have slipped out of my sight!

Here it is in Post#2.  That will be where the chicken dinner goes! :grin:

• Like 2