03 v11 LeMans steering damper wanted

SkidMarks

I have owned the V11 going on one month now. Have no idea what the stock one was. Just noticed that there was a  provision  for one. Would you be able to give me some constructive criticism on whether to add one or just leave it alone. Thank you Cliff Marks 

Cliff,

My steering damper has been leaking for a long while now, to the point that it's function is basically ornamental. If you have not felt the need for one in the time you have owned your bike I would say that a steering damper is not required. 

Rob

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SkidMarks said:

I have owned the V11 going on one month now. Have no idea what the stock one was. Just noticed that there was a  provision  for one. Would you be able to give me some constructive criticism on whether to add one or just leave it alone. Thank you Cliff Marks 

Personally I believe in steering dampers esp if the bike was fitted with one from new. If you've ever experienced a proper full blooded lock stop to lock stop tank slapper and lived to tell the tale then you would probably feel the same way. Ohlins are arguably the best but pricey. The std Bitubo is well about as good I guess as the std one on the bike that tried to kill me. It's better than nothing, just. I went home and ordered an Ohlins damper the next day.

Ciao

36 minutes ago, Lucky Phil said:

Personally I believe in steering dampers esp if the bike was fitted with one from new. If you've ever experienced a proper full blooded lock stop to lock stop tank slapper and lived to tell the tale then you would probably feel the same way. Ohlins are arguably the best but pricey. The std Bitubo is well about as good I guess as the std one on the bike that tried to kill me. It's better than nothing, just. I went home and ordered an Ohlins damper the next day.

Ciao

36 minutes ago, Lucky Phil said:

Ciao

Thank you  for entertaining my eccentricities. The response to my question was  International and very fast, I’ve never heard of a form like this  before  it’s great. I am currently 64 years old and have been riding motorcycles  ever since I was 10 years old.  Thank you to all that have responded, C.M.

Oh, hey, you are in the right pace to be fussing with your V11! These folks rock!

The original Bitubo dampers were (are) pretty awful about leaking. I replaced mine years ago with a nicely made Shindy (Japanese) unit. That shop is no longer, but thay can probably be hunted up. I'll look up links and model number later if you like . . .

• Like 1

Given that I've owned my Sport for ~20 years now, I'm thinking of refreshing some of the original bits, such as the steering damper as well. At the moment, I'm looking at these:

https://hyperpro.com/steering-dampers/

But just need to figure out which model will work for the '00 Sport.

__Jason

• Thanks 1

I did find this regarding the Hyperpro, which say's it's for the V11 Sport:
https://www.brooksuspension.co.uk/moto-guzzi-v11-sport-hyperpro-rsc-steering-damper-97/

What I'm not sure of at the moment is, if I need a "fitting kit", or if this is a drop-in replacement using the original mounting bracket on the bike.

Note: they Hyperpro has options for linear and progressive dampers. The one linked above is the progressive one, which is probably the one I would prefer if I have the choice.

__Jason

And more info regarding the Hyperpro from here on the forum:

Still not clear if anything extra needs to be ordered, besides the damper itself.

__Jason

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Tom in Virginia said:

Wow, Matris has gotta be making a killing on a $400-$500 steering damper! :(

Yeah, that's for their progressive (or whatever term they use to describe it). Their linear one is somewhat cheaper. But yeah... spendy.

__Jason

• Like 1