Side Stand Switch Not Killing

LowRyter

OK, I suppose that I shouldn't be that sad about it.

The side stand kill switch isn't working.  Meaning it doesn't kill the bike when the stand is deployed and in gear.  Typically I stop that way (I like to leave the bike in gear when it's stopped rather than putting it in neutral).  

I'm glad it isn't the other way around.  I've sprayed some contact cleaner on it and WD40, worked the stand, didn't fix it.

4 hours ago, LowRyter said:

The side stand kill switch isn't working.  Meaning it doesn't kill the bike when the stand is deployed and in gear.  Typically I stop that way (I like to leave the bike in gear when it's stopped rather than putting it in neutral).  

I'm glad it isn't the other way around.  I've sprayed some contact cleaner on it and WD40, worked the stand, didn't fix it.

I'd rectify that myself. I've seen a nasty accident from a side stand left down and heard of more than 1 fatality from it over the years. If you dont have the safety switch then it needs to be self retracting for mine.

Ciao  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Lucky Phil said:

I'd rectify that myself. I've seen a nasty accident from a side stand left down and heard of more than 1 fatality from it over the years. If you dont have the safety switch then it needs to be self retracting for mine.

Ciao  

Phil, many folks on Guzzis defeat those unreliable  switches so they won't get stranded.  My'98 EV came that way when I purchased it.   Unfortunately, our friend Fubar purchased a Cali and didn't know the switch was defeated and had an accident at the Okla Rally a few years ago.  He ended up with a broken ankle.  

1 minute ago, LowRyter said:

Phil, many folks on Guzzis defeat those switches.  My'98 EV came that way when I purchased it.   Unfortunately, our friend Fubar purchased a Cali and didn't know the switch was defeated and had an accident at the Okla Rally a few years ago.  He ended up with a broken ankle.  

Yes, its a sick feeling being behind someone with the side stand down trying to warn them and seeing the inevitable looming. My bike doesn't have a self retracting side stand, I dont know any Guzzi that came with them? Why would you de activate the switch unless you were stuck somewhere?

Ciao

3 minutes ago, Lucky Phil said:

Yes, its a sick feeling being behind someone with the side stand down trying to warn them and seeing the inevitable looming. My bike doesn't have a self retracting side stand, I dont know any Guzzi that came with them? Why would you de activate the switch unless you were stuck somewhere?

Ciao

Phil, those switches were unreliable and folks were stranded and couldn't start their bikes.  So they they hot wired them.  Pretty typical on many Guzzis.  As I said I purchased the EV and it was already done.  Now my Sport did it on it's own.  I guess I'd rather not have it rather than have it strand me.

• Thanks 1

Daytonas and Sport 1100 also had auto-retracting stands, as can be seen in the attached photo. This is the same type of stand I have on my V11S now, due to the standard V11 stand not fitting the deep-V sump. Personally, I do not like the auto-retract feature - especially due to the fact that I live in a city where the odds of someone (either intentionally or otherwise) bumping your bike could result in the sidestand retracting unexpectedly and the bike falling over. Instead, I'm in the habit of reaching down and raising/lowering the sidestand by-hand, which allows me to guide the spring past the bolt head where it usually catches. PITA? A bit... but I'm used to it.

__Jason

daytona-sidestand.png

23 hours ago, LowRyter said:

@LowRyter

I've never felt like I get get anything sprayed up into that switch. And I don't think it can be taken apart to service it. Removing the switch and turning it downside-up might give the contact cleaner a chance to penetrate while working the button in and out. Something like Caig® DeOxit (there is nothing like Caig® DeOxit!) rather than WD40 would be the most likely thing to resurrect the switch in this downside-up position if anything will.

Are replacements available?

Otherwise, I suppose it's possible to have pinched the wires together under the alternator cover which would defeat the switch as you described. Is the wiring free and clear from the switch all the way up to the frame?

I think the replacement switches are about $60.  The wiring appears clean and straight.  I did replace the Alt cover with a CF one a few months ago.   I'll check and take a look at the wiring and see if it's bound up.

My bigger concern was that the switch would cause a no-start and strand me somewhere.  My EV had the switch defeated when I bought it '08.  I assumed it was a common issue and riders just hot wired the switch.  

Apparently mine hot wired itself.  

2 hours ago, docc said:

@LowRyter

I've never felt like I get get anything sprayed up into that switch. And I don't think it can be taken apart to service it. Removing the switch and turning it downside-up might give the contact cleaner a chance to penetrate while working the button in and out. Something like Caig® DeOxit (there is nothing like Caig® DeOxit!) rather than WD40 would be the most likely thing to resurrect the switch in this downside-up position if anything will.

Are replacements available?

Otherwise, I suppose it's possible to have pinched the wires together under the alternator cover which would defeat the switch as you described. Is the wiring free and clear from the switch all the way up to the frame?

• Haha 1

Raising the kickstand closes the circuit, which I believe then energizes the run/off switch, so worst case... you just cut the switch off and splice the ends together.

* I'm 99% sure of this... the wiring schematic is clear as mud to me.

__Jason

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, jtucker said:

Raising the kickstand closes the circuit, which I believe then energizes the run/off switch, so worst case... you just cut the switch off and splice the ends together.

* I'm 99% sure of this... the wiring schematic is clear as mud to me.

__Jason

A more elegant solution, in the event the Sidestand Switch will not close and energize the Run Switch is to lift the seat and "hot wire" the middle/#3 relay (30 -> 87) bypassing the neutral switch and its relay to energize the Run Switch hot off the Ignition Switch. About 3 cm of wire would do it.

Of course, LowRyter's issue is the opposite: Sidestand Switch stuck closed. Makes my want to tap on it with a suitable persuasion device . . .

IMG_2878.JPG

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1