Oil pressure warning light - start up

4corsa

Is the oil pressure warning light supposed to illuminate when key is switched to "on"? Having owned my 03 Le Mans for a couple months now, I've never seen it illuminate. The Owners Manual is not clear on this. All other dash lights work. Just wanted to check before ordering a replacement lamp and pulling things apart.

Thanks.

5 minutes ago, 4corsa said:

Is the oil pressure warning light supposed to illuminate when key is switched to "on"? Having owned my 03 Le Mans for a couple months now, I've never seen it illuminate. The Owners Manual is not clear on this. All other dash lights work. Just wanted to check before ordering a replacement lamp and pulling things apart.

Thanks.

Yes it is. Unwise to ride it until its fixed. Make sure the wire is connected to the switch, if it is then its most likely the switch, they are unreliable. Pull off the wire and earth it against the engine case and turn the ignition on and see if the light comes on. If id does its the switch and if not its either the bulb or a wiring fault/open circuit.

Ciao

• Like 4

1 hour ago, 4corsa said:

Thank you Lucky Phil - will do.

There are tiny T5 bulbs in the indicator lights. Careful pulling the rubber bulb holder out of the plastic gauge pod, as the two materials seem to weld themselves together over time. Might have to use a dental pick and shoot some silicone spray in between the bulb holder and the gauge receptacle.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, po18guy said:

There are tiny T5 bulbs in the indicator lights. Careful pulling the rubber bulb holder out of the plastic gauge pod, as the two materials seem to weld themselves together over time. Might have to use a dental pick and shoot some silicone spray in between the bulb holder and the gauge receptacle.

With this caution, the bulbs are actually quite easy to access. They can be removed by gently grasping the globe with hemostats (also known by "other " names :rasta:).

The glass tends to get "zinced" after a while and look black like they are blown, so put 12 v across and see if it lights. Not a bad idea to change them all to "long life" fresh units for a brighter result.

Always: a spritz of magical Caig DeOxit® when things go back together . . . :thumbsup:

• Thanks 1

Thank you po18guy and Docc!

I ordered the T5 bulbs last night and will be taking things apart tonight.  I am suspicious of the ignition switch wiring, as I've had a couple incidents where the starter wouldn't engage until I turned the key off and back on once or twice.  I'm assuming once the two screws at the underside of the ignition housing are removed it pulls apart to expose the wiring.

• Like 1

...also, for removing the tripodometer pin, do you literally just pull it out?  The service manual just says to remove it.  Thanks.

20 minutes ago, 4corsa said:

...also, for removing the tripodometer pin, do you literally just pull it out?  The service manual just says to remove it.  Thanks.

They are reversed threaded. But no reason to remove it to get to the warning bulbs? :huh2:

Thanks Docc, you are correct, the opening for the pin is slotted so no need to remove. Perhaps earlier models were not slotted holes and that's why the shop manual says to remove it?

22 minutes ago, 4corsa said:

Thanks Docc, you are correct, the opening for the pin is slotted so no need to remove. Perhaps earlier models were not slotted holes and that's why the shop manual says to remove it?

Yessir. But, why remove the speedo? No need to get to the warning bulbs, IIRC.

You are correct, but have a look at the attached instructions for changing Dashboard Warning Lights: "Detach the resetting pin A". Go figure.c59bc3f71f200d5f5e88de526c25b41b.jpg

5 hours ago, 4corsa said:

Thank you po18guy and Docc!

I ordered the T5 bulbs last night and will be taking things apart tonight.  I am suspicious of the ignition switch wiring, as I've had a couple incidents where the starter wouldn't engage until I turned the key off and back on once or twice.  I'm assuming once the two screws at the underside of the ignition housing are removed it pulls apart to expose the wiring.

However, that is not only cycling the ignition switch, but also the famously troubled relays under the seat. I would check the associated relay also, as that can cause the same malfunction.

Also, T5 LEDs are available and "might" be a little longer lived as well as being available in various colors.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, 4corsa said:

You are correct, but have a look at the attached instructions for changing Dashboard Warning Lights: "Detach the resetting pin A". Go figure.c59bc3f71f200d5f5e88de526c25b41b.jpg

Seems like a lot of trouble when you can remove the front trim with three fasteners and lift it off along with the "lens" to access the bulbs from the surface. Sure, you could crush them trying to grasp them with a tool, but should be able to gingerly remove and replace them without all that disassembly.

1 hour ago, po18guy said:

However, that is not only cycling the ignition switch, but also the famously troubled relays under the seat. I would check the associated relay also, as that can cause the same malfunction.

Also, T5 LEDs are available and "might" be a little longer lived as well as being available in various colors.

Yup - the relays were the first thing I checked, I just put all Omrons in a couple weeks ago.  I removed the relays and checked all the female spade connectors - all look great (bike only has 13k miles and always garaged).  So just as a check, I switched out the #1 Starter relay with the #3, in the unlikely event the #1 Omron was faulty. I also rechecked my connections with the starter and kickstand shutoff.  

Ok, so replaced the oil pressure warning light bulb, and still does not illuminate when key is turned on. Disassembled the ignition module and connections look good at both ends.
Regarding the occasional starter not engaging, I'll check the starter button next, but that issue may have been solved at the relay. Hard to tell right now as it only seems to happen when the engine is hot. So far engages the starter 100% of time when cold.
But the oil light remains a mystery. Once I have the ignition back together I'll try a test light in the base of that socket (yup, should've done that first ).6bab9f15981cf24533437ffd48f27e3c.jpgcb8676fbfff747ecba9f65966bfd7235.jpg8c42af4f1368bb0159c2f5f9e8c57b4e.jpg

• Like 1