Voltage regulator is hot

Colorobo

You should try and see how much load is on the system, lights, battery etc. This would involve a current measurement which is a little tricky if you don't have a clamp meter. See if any fuses are warm also.

Sometimes a lot of heat can be generated from loose/coroded connectors.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Colorobo said:

The voltage regulator on my 1100 sport get really hot. I mean that it idled  for like 7-8 minutes in the garage and I could barley touch it for 10 seconds Opinions please. . 

Well the reg converts excess output into heat but how much heat is the question. Sound a little too hot to me but others would have a better idea. BTW everyone these days should have a temp gun in the home/garage, you know those hand gun style thermometers you point the infared dot at and it tells you the temp of the part or even person you are pointing it at. This way you could tell us all the exact temp it is and we could compare it to our units. I use mine all the time esp in these Corona days. They cost bugger all to buy now so everyone needs one.

You have your orders:)

Ciao

• Like 2

Pretty sure the additional ground would help and the earthing is a known weak point. As Phil said the reg/rec's job is to get rid of the additional energy.

It will get hot, but that sounds to me like there is a problem and I'd be checking all my connections.

At idle RPM the Alternator isn't going to be putting out a great deal of power, so I wouldn't have thought it should get so hot you can barely touch it.

That said that's an ASS-umption I have not actually tested what sort of temps my reg/rec reaches when sitting at idle.

Where's Roy when you need him?

If you can touch it firmly for 10 whole seconds, temp is 150* or less. Not a concern. The reg body is a heat sink; most have fins to air cool, some sink to the metal base they're bolted to which is why a clean solid attachment is required.

• Like 1

On 9/12/2020 at 5:02 AM, Pressureangle said:

If you can touch it firmly for 10 whole seconds, temp is 150* or less. Not a concern. The reg body is a heat sink; most have fins to air cool, some sink to the metal base they're bolted to which is why a clean solid attachment is required.

And don't forget you aren't traveling through the air while idling.

Too hot to touch is not really too hot for modern electronics.