Fork Compression and Rebound manual typo?

HantsV11LeMans

Hi all, 

I’m confused. Recently bought a 2005 V11 Le Mans and found the front suspension rider sag only about 5mm when I sit on the bike in gear. The preload bolts are backed all the way out. 
The manual doesn’t cover these preload adjustments. Only compression and rebound. Could it be that you are meant to tighten the bolts down as in clockwise to lessen preload? 
Also the manual says the left fork adjusts the compression with a C on it and the right fork adjusts the rebound with an R on it

BUT on my bike both fork heads have an R on them. 
Does anyone know which is correct?

Is the manual correct and the left R on the bike should actually say C?

Or is the manual wrong and I can only adjust Rebound turning both screw heads? 

Many thanks for any guidance 

954AC2CF-DCCD-46F0-AFD3-C36B2D902C6B.jpeg

60717D04-F0AC-42C9-86F5-5B58D91CAE06.jpeg

Unless someone else chimes in about a 2005 model year LeMans, you should have left tube C right tube R.

Do you know the history of this bike? Has someone replaced a component because of an accident?

Unfortunately to set preload you will have to try different length spacers under the top fork nut. Specifically,

you will want a shorter spacer than what is in there now.

Andy

• Like 1

I wonder if Luigi was all out of C fork tubes on the day he built your bike? Something seems really wrong about that and I'd be bothered until I took them apart to find out what's inside. No Compression settings and two rebound seems all wrong to me.

Thanks,

As far as I know they are stock. Not the gold Ohlins like on the Corsa models.
 2 owners before me. First added a power commander. Next changed nothing. 
maybe the left cap is wrong cap but it adjusts compression. 

sorry my pictures are poor. It won’t let me upload over 200k

• Like 1

The top of that fork almost looks like you can adjust preload by turning the bigger  middle nut...19 mm in size maybe.

The smaller screwdriver blade adjustment is for compression and/or rebound. Those fork top caps a very different from the earlier

V11 Marzzochi forks. Looks like the top piece with the C / R adjustment is mounted in another piece that has flats on it like a nut, which

may be you preload. I would assume that the largest area with flats that would accept a wrench or socket is the top cap of the fork tube itself.

If you have a way of taking weight off the frontend, you might do so and see if you can turn "the middle nut "CC wise which should soften/give more sag.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, andy york said:

The top of that fork almost looks like you can adjust preload by turning the bigger  middle nut...19 mm in size maybe.

The smaller screwdriver blade adjustment is for compression and/or rebound. Those fork top caps a very different from the earlier

V11 Marzzochi forks. Looks like the top piece with the C / R adjustment is mounted in another piece that has flats on it like a nut, which

may be you preload. I would assume that the largest area with flats that would accept a wrench or socket is the top cap of the fork tube itself.

If you have a way of taking weight off the frontend, you might do so and see if you can turn "the middle nut "CC wise which should soften/give more sag.

hmmm they Are different caps than earlier ones. Good catch

10 minutes ago, andy york said:

what does the manual say about the larger center nut ?....maybe that is the compression adjustment.

FF3567B8-5AFD-4FD8-821C-2684DFC579C3.jpeg.e42978738f777d0e7975b108ee9fcb0a.jpeg

The manual says the left fork has a C for compression and the right has an R for rebound. I’m beginning to think perhaps they simply installed the wrong (R) cap on the left fork. 
I’ll adjust the left first and see if that effects compression or rebound. 
I had kept them the same because they both said rebound. But I’ll try adjusting individually.