'03 V11's

Gmc28

these question(s) are answerable via pulling info from various other topics/threads, but i'll pose them here specifically for clarity (for me), for those who don't mind chiming in:

the '03 V11's went to the 15RC ECU, but only after a certain point in production, correct?  If it is the RC, i assume i would see a O2 sensor coming off the exhaust somewhere (see next question also)

the 03's have a forward crossover, rather than mid-bike, it appears.  Does that sound correct, and if so, is that a good thing, or do folks tend to prefer changing over to a system more like the '02's and older have?  and if so, i assume that means changing the head pipes, because of the front crossover plumbing?

are there other differences of note with the '03 over the '02's and older 1100's?

oh, and if the paint on the forward end of the valve cover is bubbling, would the likely issue be just a lousy job someone did of re-finishing the valve cover, or is that more likely indicative of other issues that come to mind?

again, i've seen a lot of this alluded to elsewhere, but looking to clarify a bit, if anyone wants to chime in.  thanks all

I have an 03 registered bike, but pretty sure it is an 02 or 01. 

Mine does not have a forward cross over or lamba sensor in the exhaust.

Mine also does not have an in tank fuel pump.

The lead end of the rockers sees the weather and abrasive airborne debris. Mine went at the lead end first.

the main thing that comes to mind re the '03's is that the first ones were '02 carryovers. '02 spec sold as '03. The head pipe balance pipe first came on the '03 spec bikes. The "mid bike" balance or crossover came on all models. 03 spec came with better paint on the drive train, semi glossy not wrinkle finish. 03 spec came with no chin pad on the tank and a fuel pump inside the tank replaced the frame mounted one.

• Like 2

Connecting rod change to provide an oil spray to the bottom of the piston along with slight change in compression ratio?

Or did I dream that . . . :blink:

Also, just because a V11 has a 15RC does not mean it actually has a Lambda probe? Are there any US V11 with Lambda probes (oxygen sensors)?

• Like 1

many thanks gentlemen.  that fills in most of the blanks for me.   From what you've written, I'm seeing a header crossover, so that points to it being an 03 spec, and no lead coming from the o2 sensor bung on the header, so that just means its the US spec bike.  being 03 may mean the conn rod/oil spray change. 

do the 03's tend to have better fueling, or does the 15RC and the header crossover (and whatever else) not translate that into that?

'03 introduced the 43mm fork stanchions. Curiously, my '04 has the forward crossover, but no lambda sensor.  The ECU may have been 'tinkered' with, as it has an unreadable sticker over the original M-M sticker. I guess that the connecting rod oil jet, the .5 increase in compression and the forward crossover contributed to increased midrange(?)

The reversed positions of horn button and turn signal - who knows? Just guessing here, but they must do a lot more audible than visual signalling in Italy. After all, gotta take at least one hand off the bars to give the international salute to errant drivers.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, Gmc28 said:

From what you've written, I'm seeing a header crossover, so that points to it being an 03 spec, and no lead coming from the o2 sensor bung on the header

Careful with what you assume  - the  actual OEM O2 sensor location is underneath on top of the usual stock crossover - with the front balancer added according to Guzzi to improve midrange.

11 hours ago, Gmc28 said:

do the 03's tend to have better fueling, or does the 15RC and the header crossover (and whatever else) not translate that into that?

For some this’ll be an anathema - but I hold the view that the 15RC feedback modulation is an evolutionary improvement by Magneti Marelli.

When married with the improved LSH24 offering higher cross count sensor speeds it performs phenomenally.

Disabling feedback imo isn’t really a step forward - it’s just a shortcut means to an end.

Kind of like chopping out tonsils & appendix’s. Sure, it can be done - but better...?

• Like 3