Must see Le Mans II custom build

4corsa

• docc changed the title to Must see Le Mans II custom build

I dont see what the fuss is about, hardly a thing of any consequence has been done to it . Seeing video's like this makes me think half my workshop life has been worth documenting on video and putting on Youtube. I mean who the hell cant pull something half to bits throw it away, rattle can an assembled engine and throw it back together. The bars set pretty low these days, Deus ex Machina style.

Ciao

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Lucky Phil said:

I dont see what the fuss is about, hardly a thing of any consequence has been done to it . Seeing video's like this makes me think half my workshop life has been worth documenting on video and putting on Youtube. I mean who the hell cant pull something half to bits throw it away, rattle can an assembled engine and throw it back together. The bars set pretty low these days, Deus ex Machina style.

Ciao

:D I was looking back through some pictures the other day to find how I'd mounted the engine on the Great Lakes.. I'd forgotten the details, of course..:oldgit: but the whole airplane is scratch built. It took a little more than a few hours with an angle grinder, btw.. :rasta:

IMG_20200905_153159666.jpg

• Like 2

Easy to agree that it is not much more than a tidy-up and a change of clothes. Yet, I rather like the party dress! (Even if it is a bit garish for my plain tastes . . .)

I have to say, I did enjoy the man's obvious passion. How many of us have started up our Guzzi then lovingly, and repeatedly, rolled the throttle on and off to revel in that rocking, syncopated rhythm?   :mg:  :grin:

10 hours ago, Chuck said:

:D I was looking back through some pictures the other day to find how I'd mounted the engine on the Great Lakes.. I'd forgotten the details, of course..:oldgit: but the whole airplane is scratch built. It took a little more than a few hours with an angle grinder, btw.. :rasta:

IMG_20200905_153159666.jpg

I cant even imagine the time,skill and energy involved in building a complete aeroplane Chuck, I mean honestly.

Ciao 

6 hours ago, docc said:

Easy to agree that it is not much more than a tidy-up and a change of clothes. Yet, I rather like the party dress! (Even if it is a bit garish for my plain tastes . . .)

I have to say, I did enjoy the man's obvious passion. How many of us have started up our Guzzi then lovingly, and repeatedly, rolled the throttle on and off to revel in that rocking, syncopated rhythm?   :mg:  :grin:

The thing I like the most docc is the way the carbs hang down off the cylinder heads like some piece of ripe fruit ready to fall off :)

I don't have any particular aversion to the bike itself, its just another backyard hack job on an old bike that produced a backyard hack job outcome. Have we all lost sight of the fact that just about every English Rocker/ Cafe racer back in the 60's did this sort of thing to his Triumph,BSA,Norton in the front room of some old bed sit in Liverpool or Birmingham. The only thing that's changed is now people seem to think its worth making a video about and others are "amazed" buy it's" awesomness". Seems we have regressed somehow, today we are amazed and awed by what was routine and everyday back in the 60's.

Ciao

• Like 2

Bottom line for me is it's more beautiful and desirable than almost any new bike available at any dealer showroom in the past 15+ years - period.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, 4corsa said:

Bottom line for me is it's more beautiful and desirable than almost any new bike available at any dealer showroom in the past 15+ years - period.

Well the upside to that is its cheap and easy for you to scratch that itch:)

Ciao 

• Like 3

I get what you guys are saying. To take social media culture “self-publishing” to the extreme, I am really tired of seeing pics/vids of what people are eating for breakfast! That being said, he’s doing his honor to the marque, and I bet it’s a fun-as-hell bike to ride. It makes me wish that I had a carbed Tonti to rebuild! For your average Joe, who doesn’t have the skills and resources to do the heavy stuff that some people can do, this is a nice example of what can be easily managed and he seems proud and happy, so OK. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Lucky Phil said:

Well the upside to that is its cheap and easy for you to scratch that itch:)

Ciao 

Now you're trackin' ...

I wish I were his age, riding that thing to the local vino-formaggio on Friday night in Mandello del Lario with a copy of Farwell to Arms in my pocket.

Another itch, another upside:helmet:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

20 hours ago, Chuck said:

Looks like you have a few problems to iron out! So it is with rag wings. Say, is there a Luscombe in your flying past?

Decent enough, but the V11 Tonti café was more my cup of Java. And the (apparently) lightened flywheel allowed it to rev crazy quick.

• Like 1