Lemans Rosso Corsa Tank Vinyl Graphics

Shepflylow

Hello. I’m a new owner of a 2003 V11 Rosso Corsa. The vinyl tank graphics have bubbled. I have some questions for the community:

1) I think the bubbling is caused my ethanol interacting with the tank structure. While I don’t use fuel with ethanol in my other bikes, do members get the interior of the V11 tanks coated to prevent the interaction, or is there some other recommendation?

2) Is the a painter or source for reproductions of the graphics? Does anyone have a recommended restoration shop?

3) What tanks interchange with the 2003 Lemans Rosso Corsa? I’d like to maintain the original and restore a takeoff tank.

If this is a current topic even a link back to the previous thread would be helpful. Enjoying both the bike and reading the forums!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Shepflylow said:

Hello. I’m a new owner of a 2003 V11 Rosso Corsa. The vinyl tank graphics have bubbled. I have some questions for the community:

1) I think the bubbling is caused my ethanol interacting with the tank structure. While I don’t use fuel with ethanol in my other bikes, do members get the interior of the V11 tanks coated to prevent the interaction, or is there some other recommendation?

2) Is the a painter or source for reproductions of the graphics? Does anyone have a recommended restoration shop?

3) What tanks interchange with the 2003 Lemans Rosso Corsa? I’d like to maintain the original and restore a takeoff tank.

If this is a current topic even a link back to the previous thread would be helpful. Enjoying both the bike and reading the forums!

Yes I think this is a common issue with those tanks I think. Its Ethanol related from memory but remember it's not actually the Ethanol itself but the water it attracts. Thats what causes the leaching issue which affects the decals and finish.

I have one of these tanks here which is unaffected but the paints not absolutely perfect you could have for $100US. The shipping might be the issue though.

Chuck internally coated his tank quite a few years ago and I think it's still holding up.

Ciao  

• Like 1

Hello Phil. If it is a Rosso Corsa model it’s a deal. Could you send me an email and we can figure out shipping and payment? I’ll figure out with my shop how to get it restored, and it will be nice to keep my original for reference 

57 minutes ago, Shepflylow said:

Hello Phil. If it is a Rosso Corsa model it’s a deal. Could you send me an email and we can figure out shipping and payment? I’ll figure out with my shop how to get it restored, and it will be nice to keep my original for reference 

I'll get it out and post some images. This tanks paint is actually close to perfect. Certainly any minor blemishes can be addressed with a hand cut and polish of the clear coat. Looking inside the tank I dont even know if its ever had fuel in it. I bought it years ago and never used it.

It will also need a pair of 30103730 vent fittings. There is a pair on ebay USA now for $15 new. Item # 324118401061

PM me and if your interested we'll work something out. I'm guessing the postage may well be around $100US as well.

DSC01168.JPG

DSC01170.JPG

DSC01169.JPG

Merlins defect inspection......Pass

DSC01164.JPG

Ciao

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Shepflylow said:

I found this thread earlier, but no answers to your question.

It's fairly easy for me to reproduce this lettering and upload the vector file in the Fileshare section. If a RM owner can send me a sharp picture, I'll make the file which you can take to the sign maker of your choice.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

hello everyone, i just bought a rosso corsa with the same bubble problem on the tank vinyl.  Could someone tell me where to get this vinyl?

• Like 1