Crankshafts.

Lucky Phil

For those interested in 78 mm crank differences. On the left a Centauro and later Daytona crank. On the right a 78 mm Cali crank. I think the earlier Daytona cranks that used the standard rods also used the Cali version with the balance adjusted but as can be seen the difference between the Cali 78 mm crank and the Centi/Later Daytona cranks is a lot more than just a dynamic balance adjustment. The 78 mm Cali crank is just a heavier version at 8.3 kg compared to 7.5 kg for the Centi and later Daytona Cranks. No wonder the lighter Centi crank and single plate flywheel feels like a Ducati engine.

DSC01175.JPG

DSC01176.JPG

Ciao

• Like 3

8V 1200 crank. 7.1 kg. Probably because it doesn't have the enormous steel penis sticking out the front for the alternator to hang off.

[img]https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/50399815216_0657dc618d_z.jpg[/img][/url]

Also note the absence of a sludge trap in the crankpin.

[img]https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/50399121498_501d941d47_z.jpg[/img]

Big end lubrication is taken care of by two cross-drilling's from the main bearings to the crankpin. I assume that the sludge trap was deleted for cost/saving purposes. They made a lot of bleating noises about how much stiffer the *New* crank was but Guzzi big block cranks have never been whippy like shitty BMW cranks so I think that was just waffle to justify their cheapskatery.

[img]https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/50399121443_74161b6abf_z.jpg[/img]

Someone else will have to open the links up, m not clever enough.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, pete roper said:

Thanks Docc

Nice Pete, not too impressed with the sludge trap omission. There's always quite a bit of rubbish in there and its nice to know you've got it cleaned out properly if you have the engine apart. Spose there's quite a few around with DLC coating living in the pin.

Ciao 

I doubt there is much of anything in the oil galleries. The cross-drilling's go from the top of the webs where the trap used to be, all the way through the pin both ways to the front and rear journals. There are then cross drilling's in the pin, (One per rod bearing only. Another weak point in my book.) that intersect with the through drilling's. The through drilling's are sealed with grub screws.

ive had a couple of high mileage motors apart and removed those grub screws and had a poke down the galleries with a probe and flushed them out well and there was no detritus in them, not even in the 'Blanked off' part of the gallery so I assume that the engine is dependent on the filter for catching the mank. It also probably explains why a couple of motors have died after we rollerised them. Both of those had done over 60,000km prior to rollerisation and both had significant DLC contamination of the big end shells.

2 hours ago, pete roper said:

I doubt there is much of anything in the oil galleries. The cross-drilling's go from the top of the webs where the trap used to be, all the way through the pin both ways to the front and rear journals. There are then cross drilling's in the pin, (One per rod bearing only. Another weak point in my book.) that intersect with the through drilling's. The through drilling's are sealed with grub screws.

ive had a couple of high mileage motors apart and removed those grub screws and had a poke down the galleries with a probe and flushed them out well and there was no detritus in them, not even in the 'Blanked off' part of the gallery so I assume that the engine is dependent on the filter for catching the mank. It also probably explains why a couple of motors have died after we rollerised them. Both of those had done over 60,000km prior to rollerisation and both had significant DLC contamination of the big end shells.

Ok Pete so its now a solid pin apart from some maybe 5-6 mm drillings from the mains and the same size through the pin intersecting them. A largely solid pin then? 7.1 KG seems pretty light as well.

Ciao

On 9/29/2020 at 1:19 AM, Lucky Phil said:

DSC01176.JPG

Ciao

Smokes! I thought the Yammie YDS3/YM1 had a lot of crank protrusion! This on the clutch side. Generator on the stub side.

Screen%20Shot%202020-09-30%20at%202.17.1