WTB 2001 Silver tail

Bob Maynard

Can't see much silver on this Tenni next to the early Sort, but I'm thinking these silvers  differ:

IMG_9606.jpg

For sure the Tenni silver is not the grey of the same year (2002) red/grey Lemans.  Footgoose's really nice Tenni looks good with this black cowl:

IMG_9627.jpg

• Like 1

• Bob Maynard changed the title to WTB 2001 Silver tail

Okay, I misunderstood thinking you were just talking about the pillion cover. So, you're looking for an early (1999-2001) V11 Sport complete tail section to match your early Sport silver tank (like my 2000)?

IMG_0985.jpg

• Like 1

KINDOY2 pointed out to me that that later tail has different mounting. Not sure what it would take to fit the later tail to the early Sport . . . :huh2:

4 hours ago, docc said:

Okay, I misunderstood thinking you were just talking about the pillion cover. So, you're looking for an early (1999-2001) V11 Sport complete tail section to match your early Sport silver tank (like my 2000)?

IMG_0985.jpg

Nice pic docc!

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, docc said:

My eBay searches were filtered for 00-01 years, so I missed that one. I could probably get a nice repaint on mine for $600.

The Tenni tail fits pretty well on my 01, so when did the mounting change? When they went to in tank fuel pump?

9 minutes ago, Bob Maynard said:

My eBay searches were filtered for 00-01 years, so I missed that one. I could probably get a nice repaint on mine for $600.

The Tenni tail fits pretty well on my 01, so when did the mounting change? When they went to in tank fuel pump?

Changed for the 02 year model. Don't know what that means for the US as you guys confuse me with that year model stuff. BTW I have one of those later units here and they are about a million lbs lighter than the earlier units. And yes they are asking way to much for that.

Ciao  

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Bob Maynard said:

Also, the material changed from polyamide ("Nylon") like the tanks to ABS. As Lucky Phil says "much lighter. Early tail's storage area ("monkey paw trap") is a frame and textile pouch. Later monkey paw traps are a molded plastic insert. I'm vague on the change in the seat latch mounting, so those lucky few with both in front of them may help clarify . . .

Early (heavy) molded "Nylon" tail for reference:

DSCN2413.jpg

9 minutes ago, Lucky Phil said:

Changed for the 02 year model. Don't know what that means for the US as you guys confuse me with that year model stuff. BTW I have one of those later units here and they are about a million lbs lighter than the earlier units.

Ciao  

Hmm, yep, here is a 2002 LeMans "tail fairing" on US Ebay that shows the single wall ABS style. So, perhaps the tail changed with the LongFrame? In that case, the Tenni tail should be same as this '02 LeMans:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2001-2005-Moto-Guzzi-V11-REAR-FENDER-FRAME-COVER-TAIL-Le-Mans-Cafe-Ballabio-Cat/383605061936?fits=Year%3A2002|Model%3AV11|Make%3AMoto+Guzzi&hash=item5950a4b930:g:yxQAAOSww2he87WL

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/yxQAAOSww2he87WL/s-l1600.jpg

4 minutes ago, docc said:

Also, the material changed from polyamide ("Nylon") like the tanks to ABS. As Lucky Phil says "much lighter. Early tail's storage area ("monkey paw trap") is a frame and textile pouch. Later monkey paw traps are a molded plastic insert. I'm vague on the change in the seat latch mounting, so those lucky few with both in front of them may help clarify . . .

Early molded "Nylon" tail for reference:

DSCN2413.jpg

The later units use a simple support bar that straddles the two rear mounts to give some mechanical integrity for the seat lock as the later cowl is pretty flimsy and wont take the strain of the seat lock assy mounted to it directly.

Ciao

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, docc said:

Hmm, yep, here is a 2002 LeMans "tail fairing" on US Ebay that shows the single wall ABS style. So, perhaps the tail changed with the LongFrame? In that case, the Tenni tail should be same as this '02 LeMans:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2001-2005-Moto-Guzzi-V11-REAR-FENDER-FRAME-COVER-TAIL-Le-Mans-Cafe-Ballabio-Cat/383605061936?fits=Year%3A2002|Model%3AV11|Make%3AMoto+Guzzi&hash=item5950a4b930:g:yxQAAOSww2he87WL

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/yxQAAOSww2he87WL/s-l1600.jpg

Yes docc good images there and the price is as you can see more reasonable although by the time you add in the cost of a repaint to make it perfect again its going to be about 1/6 of the price of a good second hand bike.

Ciao

• Like 1