The Aprilia "new math" 2 X 270º = 660cc = 100hp.

I must admit that I hate Aprilia for introducing the 660 twin at this time. As usual, it is cutting edge gorgeous, and has a torque plateau rather than a curve.

In essence, the two front cylinders from the RSV4, but expanded from 535cc to 660cc, 270º crank w/counterbalancer, with a much lower redline. 10.5K peak hp and revs stop at 11K. Only teasers so far, but what a teaser. Bars above the triples, pegs slightly lower. Maybe 400lb all up. An absolute HonKawaYamaSuz killer. The AMA is probably writing rules to limit it as we speak. Price? Yeahhhhh...

Screen%20Shot%202020-10-12%20at%2010.16. 

• Like 3

The terrible thing is because Jude and I had our flights to the UK cancelled and I didn't buy a Honda CT125 because the shop was so hopeless and it soured me on the whole idea by the time the RS660 arrives here next year I'll have enough money sloshing around to buy one. 

I'm hoping the Tuono version won't be far behind as I think the 'Sporty' version will be to radical for my old bones. They are gorgeous though.

I still have all my old V4 tools still too.....

2 hours ago, pete roper said:

The terrible thing is because Jude and I had our flights to the UK cancelled and I didn't buy a Honda CT125 because the shop was so hopeless and it soured me on the whole idea by the time the RS660 arrives here next year I'll have enough money sloshing around to buy one. 

I'm hoping the Tuono version won't be far behind as I think the 'Sporty' version will be to radical for my old bones. They are gorgeous though.

I still have all my old V4 tools still too.....

I must admit that, since the original Tuono and Falco, I have not been all that enamored of their offerings. The Shiver was very close but too tepid. But this 660 is still pretty sporty as riding positions go, but I think doable. The Tuono would be the hot seller, as things go these days. Sat on a Duc 937 SS  a couple of years ago, and it was one of those few bikes that "just fit." Will have to wait on this one, since they have only teaser ads at this time.

Maybe just me, but something about the 660 seemed familiar - if only by type. And, in an odd twist, Aprilia was involved. Looking at the 660 evoked memories of the ill-fated Fischer MRX. Designed and developed around the Rotax 990 60º V which Aprilia used (in 2004) it was doomed by the very same Aprilia nixing "their" engine being sold by Rotax for use in a potential competitor's bike. So, the few Fischers produced had the Hyosung 650 V-twin and it all fell to ashes. So many twists and turns in the bike world.

Screen%20Shot%202020-10-14%20at%2012.26.

Yes, although it was a 72º V of 1125cc. Erik Buell was crushed by HD while Dan Fischer was euthanized by Rotax, who lead him on as to engine availability. 

• 1 month later...
On 10/13/2020 at 1:14 PM, fotoguzzi said:

Two different color wheels? Meh.. maybe the whole bike would be good looking if one solid color like black.

It'll show the up chain lube fling and brake dust less.

On 11/26/2020 at 5:24 PM, Kane said:

For those of you in SoCal, Aprilia has one more demo-ride / track day scheduled for this year, on Dec. 14 at Chuckwalla. They will have the 660, and other bikes, there to ride.

https://aprilia.regfox.com/aprilia-racers-days-2020

This would be a nice way to end this year!

Aaaarrrrrgggg! Stupid Covid..

• Like 1

And more sad, as of Jan 1  2021, no more import from Piaggio group to Norway :huh2:,  money money money.

Cheers tom.

• Sad 1

When this mess is done, come out and let’s get our SoCal brethren and sistren together for a ride. I want to put a run together called “The Spaghetti Western”, for Italian bikes that ends with a great Italian meal. Maybe ride up to North Beach or Napa, or perhaps Mark would host a meal at MG Classics? Just kidding! sort of. Anyway, hope you make it out here soon, Chuck. It sucks being stuck in one place.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Kane said:

When this mess is done, come out and let’s get our SoCal brethren and sistren together for a ride. I want to put a run together called “The Spaghetti Western”, for Italian bikes that ends with a great Italian meal. Maybe ride up to North Beach or Napa, or perhaps Mark would host a meal at MG Classics? Just kidding! sort of. Anyway, hope you make it out here soon, Chuck. It sucks being stuck in one place.

"A Fist Full of Omrons"

• Like 1
  • Haha 3