V 11 Sport Veglia speedo needle bounce??

Twin AH

Greetings all.......... so finished replacing the speedo cable complete with a new one on a friends machine as the needle was bouncing until you reached around 50 mph then it started to settle down??

Its the angle drive Veglia white face unit...... anyway that did not fix the problem as its still doing it.

Any ideas of what it may be from those that have had similar issues in the past?

PS low mileage machine and everything else in the gauge seems to work fine.

Thx in advance.    Ciao

Heh, "Yeah, they do that." :grin:

The lower angle drive can be pressed back together (which *sometimes* helps).

Make sure the metal disc isn't coming from together. When it spits out, it takes the drive gear with it.  Nope, you'll never find it on that stretch of highway . . .

Oh, and remember there is an angle drive at the upper end attached to the back of the speedometer, itself. Sometimes, tightening those fasteners, and especially the cinch collar at the gearbox, helps quell the St. Vitus Dance of the speed-needle . . .

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I've ridden pretty much this entire season with no speedo. It's a long saga, but the point I want to make is that my speedo is not even connected... in fact, there is currently no cable present on the bike to even connect it to if I wanted to... and the needle still jumps around at ~0 MPH much as it did when it was hooked up and working. It just always bounced around. I guess I got used to it. I was rather surprised to see it jumping around with nothing connected, though. I attribute it to Italian speedo "character" 🙄

__Jason

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

7 hours ago, jtucker said:

I've ridden pretty much this entire season with no speedo. It's a long saga, but the point I want to make is that my speedo is not even connected... in fact, there is currently no cable present on the bike to even connect it to if I wanted to... and the needle still jumps around at ~0 MPH much as it did when it was hooked up and working. It just always bounced around. I guess I got used to it. I was rather surprised to see it jumping around with nothing connected, though. I attribute it to Italian speedo "character" 🙄

__Jason

Mechanical speedos generally have a damper pot filled with silicon oil. Sound like its leaked out.

Ciao

OK.... Update for those that care.

Disassembled the whole mess again and checked everything.

Through tests found that for what ever reason the original routing had all of a sudden been to aggressively sharp a bend on the final up to base of speedo??? :huh:

Played with the routing all the way and now needle is dead calm from 0 to 60 mph  ;)

Ciao

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1