Seventeenth South'n Spine Raid 2021

docc

On 6/28/2021 at 9:37 PM, docc said:

I saw @Kostarika gave a like to this image in @Baldini's "Show us your Tontis!" thread, and thought: Yeah! This what a Spine Raid is like . . . Can't wait!!

IMG_3080.JPG

I would like to make it next year, realistically speaking!

• Like 3

I keep writing >docc's notes<  right and left, north and south, even across borders! :nerd:

Y'all come now, ya hear? ;)

It is going to be very interesting to compare various V11, their changes, owners' improvements, and outcomes.

Not too late to roll in from Varsseveld @Admin Jaap . . .

29497447_1747732635290648_34131379734936

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

I remember how revealing it was at the very first South'n SpineRaid, 2004.

Just four V11, but what comparisons and discoveries: 2000 V11 Sport, 2002 V11 LeMans, 2003 V11 red Ballabio, and 2004 black LeMans. 

What is most amazing? Three of those four V11 riders still come back to the SSR, two on the same V11 . . .

:drink:

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Admin Jaap said:

Boy, how I would love to come over! But financially it's just not possible. 

You can expect the warmest welcome! :bier:

• Like 4

Jesus Doc.

We need a satellite SSR in New Mexico or Colorado or something for all us Westerners............

Even if I took the slab me and the boys would be 5000 K one way.   :unsure:

Not lookin for any sympathy........ just sayin.  :D

• Like 1

Yeah, man, I've been saying all along that a SpineRaid happens when more than one SpineFrame get parked next to one another.  Several times we have come close to seeing a Surfin' SpineRaid in SoCal.

Maybe a Seattle SpineRaid? Get you PNW/SoWestCANADA SpineRaiders together?

1 hour ago, docc said:

Yeah, man, I've been saying all along that a SpineRaid happens when more than one SpineFrame get parked next to one another.  Several times we have come close to seeing a Surfin' SpineRaid in SoCal.

Maybe a Seattle SpineRaid? Get you PNW/SoWestCANADA SpineRaiders together?

True fact Doc.

I as well as others would be all over that in SoCal location.

So what's your recipe for a successful raid by the way?

Ciao

9 hours ago, Twin AH said:

Jesus Doc.

We need a satellite SSR in New Mexico or Colorado or something for all us Westerners............

Even if I took the slab me and the boys would be 5000 K one way.   :unsure:

Not lookin for any sympathy........ just sayin.  :D

Ah hain't skeert. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Twin AH said:

"Get There. Bring Tools."

:luigi:

• Like 3

On 7/1/2021 at 9:50 PM, Twin AH said:

True fact Doc.

I as well as others would be all over that in SoCal location.

Ciao

On 7/2/2021 at 6:49 AM, docc said:

"Get There. Bring Tools."

:luigi:

I realize your question deserves a better answer, @Twin AH . . .Coming up to the Seventeenth (South'n) Spine Raid, I have your query rolling around inside my helmet as I shakedown the Sport in preparation . . .

Hmmm, "preparation" is part of the recipe, I am sure. Be looking your rides over, SpineRaiders!  :luigi:  :ph34r:  B)

18 minutes ago, Twin AH said:

Thx Doc.

I will be looking forward to some day meeting you and the other dedicated Spiny lovers.

:notworthy:

Ciao

Wouldn't that be something?  :mg:

That this "South'n Spine Raid" is becoming its 17th might suggest that there actually might be a  "recipe for a successful raid" does beg the question . . .

There is this (but there is more) . . .

This is not a rally, event, or function of V11LeMans.com. It is an idea about riding, or meeting interested people. It is an idea only.

There is no plan, no registration, no stickers, T-shirts, merchandise, door prizes, meals, poker runs, routes, organization, or support.

Just discussion and sharing.

There is no affiliation or responsibility, expressed or implied, with or by V11Lemans.com, its owner(s), Administrators, moderators, members, pets, pocket mice, or any other entity.

If being at The US Appalachian Divide in September feels like a good idea to you, look forward to sharing ideas.

The idea of ideas has been around for a while. I do love George Bernard Shaw's take:

"If you have an apple and I have an apple and we exchange these apples,

then you and I will still each have one apple.

But if you have an idea and I have an idea and we exchange these ideas,

then each of us will have two ideas." 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

A couple other aspects of the evolution of the South'n SpineRaid come to mind . . .

This idea* started in 2004 when my warranty was up, my dealer was out, and I had only ever seen one other V11 Sport (and that dude had sold his). I figured it would be good to gather these up and compare notes. That has turned out to be an awesome benefit of the South'n Spine Raid! For a while, a "Tech(nical)Session" was pre-planned. We measured reardrive temperatures relative to gear lube selection, measured the offsets of swingarms, performed "Decent Tune-ups", and so on. After a time, it became apparent that someone's V11 already has a TechSession cooked up for us and will reveal itself. That's when the motto became "Get There. Bring Tools." :luigi:

Originally, I thought the location should be easily accessible from all directions. For a couple years, we met at a nice motel by the interstate with a restaurant across the parking lot. After that closed, we wandered around for a few years before settling on the cabins that are The Lodge at Tellico. The proximity to great riding, enclosed garage, and comfortable common area remain a good mix. "Dry" counties have been avoided as the post-ride gathering times are essential to the mission. :drink::bier:

Another feature that changed over time is the format for Saturday. After a series of incidents (nothing serious), I stopped planning and "leading" a group ride. Raiders are encouraged to study the area and gather in squad-size groups (from solo to four or five).  This served to enhance safety, relax the atmosphere, and really charges the story telling under the pavilion on Saturday night since folks went off on so many different adventures and experiences. Win-win!  :race::bike:

It would be really great to see other Spine Raids. After all, it's just an idea, but without any intellectual property®©™ strings attached . . . :nerd:

• Like 6