New Tenni

ferguzzi

47 minutes ago, Admin Jaap said:

oooohhhhhh. the eagle has to face forward!

Not entirely true... for a while, it was common for the factory to place the decal facing backwards... but that was typically on the left side of the tank, while the right side faced forward. But yeah, IMHO it does look better when facing forward :)

__Jason

As I'm starting to notice signs of ethanol exposure on my tank, I've started thinking more and more about getting an alloy tank made up as well for my Sport. If I did, I'm on the fence as to whether to have it painted to match the silver on the rest of my bike, or keep the natural alloy color (not polished). I'm having trouble picturing what a natural alloy tank would look like on my bike, in my mind's eye. My fear is that it would be too close to the rest of the silver and look "off", whereas on a bike with more contrasting body panels, the alloy color looks pretty nice.

__Jason

I don't have one on my V-11's but I had one made for my 07 Ducati  and left it natural with a coat of clear urethane ..it had swelled..The bike was Black before.

Screen%20Shot%202020-07-03%20at%202.01.0

• Like 3

13 hours ago, Admin Jaap said:

oooohhhhhh. the eagle has to face forward!

It does on the left side, smartarse!!

Anyway, I like looking backwards, it’s the fighter pilot in me....”check six”, and all that....

• Haha 3

Just got home and checked the bike.

BOTH eagles are pointing backwards!

Damn you Jaap!!

So, either:

1......I admit I’m an idiot and take off the decals and fit two more, or:

2......embrace the difference like the true maverick I am and bask in my bike’s individuality.

I think I’ll sleep on it, I’m a little jetlagged...

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I had some fun leafing through Mario Colombo's excellent book, Moto Guzzi - The Complete History from 1921, and was surprised to see the number of rear facing eagles.  And not just on the older, pre-Vtwins. Incidentally, all the rear flyers I saw were on the left . . .

Moto-Guzzi-LeMans-1000-Mk-IV-Left-Side.j

download-3.jpg

Another Guzzi myth busted! :mg:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, docc said:

To greet the rider on approach? :race:

To save $0.25 on printing is my Guess.."Thrifty" Lads they are!!!.....:helmet:..lol

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, KINDOY2 said:

To save $0.25 on printing is my Guess.."Thrifty" Lads they are!!!.....:helmet:..lol

That would be my guess. Or, they simply ran out of left-facing eagle decals and didn't feel like having more made up. The left-facing eagle was sort of an odd one, given that the "standard" version faces right, regardless of where the logo appears. Note that not ALL Sport 1100s ended up with the rear-facing eagle... just those produced during a particular time window (it seems... actually, I'm not sure about that). Its also possible that they had some branding person decide that the only "valid" logo was the typical right-facing one.

Just another one of many Mandello Mysteries.

__Jason

• Haha 1

On 11/10/2020 at 5:58 AM, jtucker said:

As I'm starting to notice signs of ethanol exposure on my tank, I've started thinking more and more about getting an alloy tank made up as well for my Sport. If I did, I'm on the fence as to whether to have it painted to match the silver on the rest of my bike, or keep the natural alloy colour (not polished). I'm having trouble picturing what a natural alloy tank would look like on my bike, in my mind's eye. My fear is that it would be too close to the rest of the silver and look "off", whereas on a bike with more contrasting body panels, the alloy color looks pretty nice.

__Jason

Hers's my 1198 Ducati with the factory alloy tank. The bare alloy part is a Brushed finish like Scotchbright covered in clear gloss. Leaving an alloy tank a completely polished finish looks too much of a wank to me. Its got that "look at me I'm aluminium" dorky feel about it. A painted finish with a section of brushed aluminium and cleared over is class. My 1198 has a bit too much aluminium showing for my taste but thats std. The original was plastic but I got a deal on the alloy tank which is 2.5L bigger.

Ciao

DSC00585 

• Like 5

• 3 months later...
3 hours ago, Mike S said:

Hey ferguzzi, the bike looks great! Do you have a paint code for the Tenni colour? I have a project I want to paint green... :) 

Looking forward to @ferguzzi's reply. Here is the solution @Canonman posted for his Tenni project:

• Like 2