RAM motorcycle fork stem ball base

O2 V11

Has anyone fitted one of these to a V11? Is there an alternative to the chrome nut we have? The RAM mount itself fits inside a 12 to 38 mm diameter stem but the chrome nut has only a 8 mm hex hole. I am thinking along the lines of having to attach another nut to the top of the chrome nut then drilling out the hex to accommodate the base of the mount. Another possibility would be to superglue the base of the mount assembly together then push it down the down the stem. Refitting the chrome nut then screwing the mount together.  I am hoping to mount an action camera at some stage.

Rob

RAM® Motorcycle Fork Stem Ball Base

• 2 weeks later...

I've forgotten but isn't the steering stem on the V7 hollow?

Just use a piece of rubber hose with a bolt to squeeze it from the end to expand into the stem. No need to make it round if its hex at the moment.

• 4 weeks later...

RAM-B-367U.jpg

An update

I went with this mount instead of the fork stem one. It is marketed as a handlebar clamp base. The mount worked perfectly fitting through the 8mm hex in the stem nut. I was able to attach a spring washer and nut with the aid of a .25" drive socket set.  With having to use a long arm extension to enable the camera to be positioned so I can film over and including the top of the instrument panel, the downside is vibration. The vibration is so bad I cannot use this mount so back to the drawing board. Apart from the ever present shakes the footage I took was really good, thumbs up to Akaso on that one. At the same time I have been attempting to record the audio using a separate sound recorder from the camera. The camera cannot record audio when it is in the supplied waterproof casing. I purchased an extension microphone for the camera but this is not suitable for my needs either. Using all the advice I could find on the net I still haven't perfected the process yet. What settings works for a chain drive multi definitely does not for a Guzzi. There is too much mechanical noise from the gearbox and bevel box to mask the exhaust note with the sound recorder stashed under the seat, even with the sound restrictors removed on my Neptunes. Next move is to purchase a bum bag and put the recorder in that which should minimize the capture of mechanical noise and enable the exhaust sounds to be recorded.

Rob

• Like 2

On 12/7/2020 at 6:23 PM, O2 V11 said:

RAM-B-367U.jpg

An update

I went with this mount instead of the fork stem one. It is marketed as a handlebar clamp base. The mount worked perfectly fitting through the 8mm hex in the stem nut. I was able to attach a spring washer and nut with the aid of a .25" drive socket set.  With having to use a long arm extension to enable the camera to be positioned so I can film over and including the top of the instrument panel, the downside is vibration. The vibration is so bad I cannot use this mount so back to the drawing board. Apart from the ever present shakes the footage I took was really good, thumbs up to Akaso on that one. At the same time I have been attempting to record the audio using a separate sound recorder from the camera. The camera cannot record audio when it is in the supplied waterproof casing. I purchased an extension microphone for the camera but this is not suitable for my needs either. Using all the advice I could find on the net I still haven't perfected the process yet. What settings works for a chain drive multi definitely does not for a Guzzi. There is too much mechanical noise from the gearbox and bevel box to mask the exhaust note with the sound recorder stashed under the seat, even with the sound restrictors removed on my Neptunes. Next move is to purchase a bum bag and put the recorder in that which should minimize the capture of mechanical noise and enable the exhaust sounds to be recorded.

Rob

I mounted my GoPro Max on my buddy's bike. The stabilization is amazing. Those old Brit bikes shake. It's on about an 6in arm so it's moving around. But the camera compensates for it. Also the microphones on this camera are astounding. The camera is sitting right in the wind and you can barely tell.

Here's another video with the camera mounted on the Guzzi. It's on a long 12in arm and again it's moving and vibrating.

If you use an external microphone make sure you use a dead cat (fuzzy cover) to reduce the wind noise. Which camera are you using?

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, footgoose said:

the World of Speed closing and why, makes me very sad. Wish I could say more.

Yes, very sad. But we enjoyed it frequently while it was here.

swooshdave, the camera I am using is an Akaso Brave 6 Plus. The camera was being used in the supplied waterproof casing which would have been the main cause of the vibration/resonance. The Ram mount and 6 inch arm was solid. The casing and frame mounts for the camera are not the same quality as your GoPro. Next time the camera will be it's frame mount which hopefully will reduce vibration. The camera did a very good job with it's image stabilization but couldn't overcome the camera shake. 

Rob