Can a bike without an O2 sensor utilize the Mistral V-TWINBOOST 12 fuel injection module?

Kane

Hello folks, 

Since putting a set of Mistral slip-on exhaust on my ‘01 V11 I’ve been a little concerned that the bike may be running lean, particularly if I am running with the dB killer baffles removed. I am also interested in adding a Mistral crossover which may also lean things out (?). My impression is that it’s good practice to have the ECU map checked and adjusted when changing the exhaust. My bike runs pretty well, but I don’t want run it too lean and hot for too long if that’s its condition.

I approached a mechanic about checking my mapping. His response was to add one of the Mistral ECU Boosters — https://www.mgcycle.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=26_336&products_id=5103 — as these are cheaper than remapping and will make the bike run better, and that the stock ECU map should be fine with the Mistrals if the bike’s running good. The MG Cycle page states that this unit works on all variants of the V11. I am assuming that this unit would go between an O2 sensor and the ECU, but my variant of V11 has no O2 sensor as far as I can tell. Has anyone used these on a bike without an O2 sensor, and how would it work? 

Thank you, and I hope everyone is doing well!

If they say it 'Works' on all variants it is probably one of the shitty air temperature sensor foolers rather than a super-shitty O2 sensor fooler.

Don't use these awful, crappy, damaging pieces of shit. Just learn to use Guzzidiag and 'Reader' and 'Writer' and find someone with a similar bike to yours who has built a map that works and buy it and throw it in.

The 15M, 15M-RC and W5AM ECU's have been an open book for a decade. All these widgets are not only unnecessary but are often damaging. 

Just say no to bullshit solutions!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Thanks, Pete. I thought that if Mistral makes it it might be a good thing, especially if I’m running their mufflers and potentially their crossover. I have also read good things about the Fat Duc O2 manipulator, which looks very similar, but obviously requires an O2 sensor (not on my bike). I guess that’s one of those “super-shitty” O2 sensor foolers that you’re referring to. I get what you’re saying!

I’d like to use Guzzidiag and learn to do this stuff myself. I am sure that it will be enlightening and liberating to be able to master the knowledge and control the bike’s fuel map; however, I only have an IPad and when I download the Guzzidiag file it opens as a string of code text. I think I will need to buy a proper computer or laptop to use it. 

Cheers!

Any shitty old laptop running an old version of Windoze will run GD, Reader and Writer just fine. You'll need the cables to connect to the bike. There are numerous threads on a host of boards about loading the programs and running them.

Actually making changes to the map cannot be done with the Guzzidiag suite of tools. To do that you need to use one of the programs like Tunerpro where you can open the map and alter it. For most people, myself included, this is not something I care to undertake simply because there are others who enjoy it more than and also are immeasurably better at it than I ever would be! The results of their labours though can be easily installed using 'Writer' and if you don't like them then you can simply reinstall your original map which you will of saved with 'Reader'.

The thing is these add on widgets that corrupt the sensor signals are not only very, very crude but because they only offer a 'Blanket' alteration of the map although it may improve fueling at certain points it can make other parts of the map damagingly wrong. There is NOTHING to be gained with one of them that can't be improved on markedly by using a properly built and designed map. That means one that isn't  built by someone who believes that the maps are 'Made lean to pass emissions' because they aren't, they are almost universally rich!

• Thanks 1

Agreed with Pete, though to be clear the “universally rich” descriptor should probably be qualified as applying (presumably) to our subject-matter V11’s.
Some bikes of that vintage from other makes did run too lean, and while it’s true that it’s too crude to say they were simply lean or rich, I have seen these band-aid devices work to great effect on some bikes. In my case was on a bike that didn’t have an open ecu (at the time), and it ran consistently bad from being too lean, despite all kinds of various ways/attempts to tune around it. An O2 tricking gizmo instantly transformed the machine, dramatically, and 77k miles later I sold it and the new owner is motoring on with it happily over 100k, with the caveman enrichener.
I gather such simple options would be a non-starter for our V11’s, for multiple reasons, but as Pete said they have the open ecu, tools, and maps available.

• Like 1