Motor is done

Brian north

Ok, here might be a good post to add this. Been playing with a 2000 v11 sport runs nicely, less than 5k on it. considering selling it, not because I don't like it, its gorgeous bike, but because I have difficulty controlling my right wrist on it for some reason and have just had my second finger wagging from a very nice state cop who could well have cuffed me and towed the bike. Not quite as concours as Brians bike but damned nice. Whats it worth ? Still sorting occasional gremlins, speedo packed up about 60 miles ago, and the old neutral light/sidestand chestnut seems to be occurring occasionly. ( Sometimes need to flick sidestand a couple of times, sometimes need to snick in and out of second and rock the bike to get power. Never failed yet but.......

Its going to get locked away for the winter, but contemplating. Have enough trouble staying legal on the 1100 Cali.

• 3 weeks later...

It seems I am the new owner!  Yes the bike is in amazing condition, it looks barely used. Other than the seized front main bearing, and the rod bearings oozing out of the rod caps it's perfect! Of course I tried to start it when I got it home and I think that's what stuck the main. Cranked slow and tried to run then click, click. Inspection revealed a very loose oil filter and for some reason the oil pressure sender was disconnected. Intentional? or part of diagnosis?  It's in pieces in the garage awaiting parts. Is the sump baffle a must or only needed for hooning?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wdietz186 said:

It seems I am the new owner!  Yes the bike is in amazing condition, it looks barely used. Other than the seized front main bearing, and the rod bearings oozing out of the rod caps it's perfect! Of course I tried to start it when I got it home and I think that's what stuck the main. Cranked slow and tried to run then click, click. Inspection revealed a very loose oil filter and for some reason the oil pressure sender was disconnected. Intentional? or part of diagnosis?  It's in pieces in the garage awaiting parts. Is the sump baffle a must or only needed for hooning?

welcome. the filter coming loose is a known issue and with attention can be resolved. it very well may have been the demise of the bearings.

• Like 1

Welcome, wdietz186! Looking forward to your progressing through your V11! She looks well worth the trouble.

Back when the loose oil filter issue showed up, there were some derived solutions. One was the hose clamp fotoguzzi posted. Another was to steer clear of that era UFI filters then being factory fitted. Another was to tighten the oil filter one and one-eighth turns past the first contact of the oiled gasket. This is significantly tighter than I would have normally tightened a canister filter, but has served me well over these several miles. 

Also note the possibility of the old filter gasket staying on the motor and pressure failure when the new filter loosens on the paired gaskets.

Best with the V11! Thanks for keeping us in the loop!

Thanks for the welcome! This looks like a pretty simple refurb and not too expensive as a plus! The windage plate looks to be the next purchase as I live only a few miles from the BRP and tend to push a bit on it and the surrounding roads. 

• Like 1

Well, the South'n SpineRaid is not really much of a "Guzzi Rally", but could be worthwhile if you don't mind seeing Goozie-guts scattered about the place . . .

"Get There. Bring Tools."

IMG_3415.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Beer and tools! That's how I'm spending my retirement! I am looking for a slosh plate, tried leaving Pressureangle a message and left a message with Horst Mfg. no response yet are they still active?

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, wdietz186 said:

Beer and tools! That's how I'm spending my retirement! I am looking for a slosh plate, tried leaving Pressureangle a message and left a message with Horst Mfg. no response yet are they still active?

Y'all come now, ya hear? :luigi::race::bier:

Looks like about three weeks since @Pressureangle has checked in. Back in August he said he had about 20 plates left.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I'm waiting on parts, USPS evidently very slow getting my order from Wisconsin! Ordered a sump plate [thanks docc, pressureangle] now sitting around reading posts and FAQs, will my 2001 need a shifter spring or is that the later ones?  Can higher bars be mounted without having to change the throttle cable/brake lines etc. I've got some single bolt handlebar mounts that can go in the convenient, rubber plugged holes in the upper triple clamp and plan to use superbike bend bars with them. Sort of the poor mans LSL kit.

• Like 1