Making a “Beeline” work – the alternative Sat-Nav

Cabernet

31 minutes ago, LowRyter said:

I always did fine with a paper map, written instructions and a trip odometer.  

6FFCAA95DF6D4DC7A605E2674E3469F5.jpg

Looks like it would be hard to make a wrong turn there . . . ;)

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, Chuck said:

I saw a view like that in Nevada one time, hoping the one horse gas station in the (far) distance actually had fuel. They did. Regular. Boys peed on the ground out back, girls actually got to use the out house. :rasta:

Nevada and Arizona are two of the states where you can worry to be lost for ever... some of the gas stations are those that you still see in the old movies, just like a general grocery store with gas pumps up front. As in "No country for old men"; of course, you don't have to ask the owner to flip the coin...

• Haha 1

• 1 year later...

Mine bit the dust today.  I had just found a permanent mount for it.  This is what I just wrote them:

I'm having problems with by Beeline.  It's worked well until yesterday when the display jittered and progressively got worse.  As far as I could determine, the navigation seemed to be accurate so long as I could see the screen.  I got home and charged it.  The display indicated that the unit was 7% charged, I was surprised it was that low.

Today (28 June) after charging, upon startup the unit received a software update.  I took the unit on my motorcycle and as I rode I noticed the navigation seemed to be off.  Perhaps the instructions were coming on a bit to early- not sure.  About 10 minutes into my ride the unit stopped working altogether and went blank.  When I tried to turn it on, it would not pair to my phone (Pixel 2).  Then I got the script, to contact you:

Beeline - 26:529
V3913 p.21
ec8
Dev Error
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

@LowRyter

I have considered purchasing a Beeline, but have abandoned the idea.

Here's my rationale;

I don't know how are roads in Oklahoma although I went there for work once. Today while coming back from Katy on the I-10, I had to avoid three palettes dropped on the asphalt. The car that I was following (at a distance) barely avoided them, and as he was obstructing my view, I had less time to react too. The other typical issue we have, are the numerous delaminated tire debris which can cause a fall. But not only that. It is my strong belief that on a motorcycle, you need to keep your eyes on the road all the time. A couple of seconds glance at the dashboard to check for warnings is safe. In my mind, keep eyes on a navigation device is a possible cause to have an accident because it requires too much attention.

This is why I deliberately exclude any screen to compete for my attention.

About Beeline; I read lots of reviews complaining about devices that stop working and an under par customer service in Europe. Generally speaking, customer service in the USA is a lot better than what we have in Europe.

Also, Beeline requires to pair it with a phone. That makes up for some kind of redundancy. If I have to pair my phone, why do I need Beeline?

Personally, I only "listen" to directions, and I found the best application to do that is Waze. My phone remains in my pocket, and I follow verbal instructions spoken through Bluetooth. My helmet is equipped with small speakers.

Other advantages of Waze, you get warnings about hazards on the road, traffic issues. This is the best App for navigation for motorcyclists that don't watch the display. Google and Apple not as good with voice commands.

By only listening to my navigation, my eyes keep scanning as they should.

My major problem is the noise in my helmet. If I wear ear plugs, I don't hear the instructions any longer. I need to find ear plugs that lower the noise without completely cutting the Waze audio commands.

For the record, I participated to the funding of the Pebble watch, which failed lamentably and was purchased by Fitbit eventually. My Pebble watches invariably failed after a few months. The display became unreadable. Pebble was a US company, they had a good customer service. They replaced the watch each time. Towards the end, they no longer did. I would think that Beeline does not have the financial means to perfect their design and make it reliable. What you are experiencing I have read about in the reviews.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I use a Garmin inReach explorer, which requires a subscription that includes the ability to download unlimited maps to my phone. Then the app will work on my phone with the phone's GPS. So why the supplemental hand-held GPS unit? It also has satellite text capabilities that I can use from the unit itself or via my phone's app (but only if the unit is with me). Since I often go into the woods or desert on dirt bikes, the device allows me to send tracking info to select people, and also to call SOS. I pay a little extra each year for the medical evacuation insurance.

I still like to carry a good-old paper map, which doesn't need charging.

I kind of miss having a roll-chart on the handlebars. That's a true navigation challenge.

• Like 1

Everyone has a favorite nav system or not.   Since this is a Beeline topic, I wanted to get feedback from Beeline users.  I like the Beeline- if I can get it to work. 

So far as riding techniques and being distracted, my rule is to travel no faster than you can see to stop.  Tailgating when riding a bike can be serious problem.  It's not just odd stuff like pallets, the real likelihood is hitting a truck tread that can be thrown up by the car in front of you and you won't see it.  Keep your distance, pass quicky, stay out of blind spots, keep to clear roads ahead, keep your distance from vehicles in front if you don't have clear roads.  I see riders violate all these rules more often than following them.

• Like 1

^^^^^I got hit on the foot/ankle by a rubber gator one time. My first thought was "Wish I was wearin' flip flops instead of these Sidis.." :rasta:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

After several rounds of e-mail correspondence with Beeline, since my unit is out of warranty I've discovered that they have a repair service.  I'm awaiting instructions how to utilize this.  I'll let you know regarding cost, delivery and quality.  

• Thanks 1

Something very common in electronics repair is to send you a refurbished unit for a fee. Garmin did this when the screen failed on my Zūmo 550.

This practice usually makes for fast turn-around time.

22 minutes ago, docc said:

Something very common in electronics repair is to send you a refurbished unit for a fee. Garmin did this when the screen failed on my Zūmo 550.

This practice usually makes for fast turn-around time.

That's my hope.  I haven't heard back from them.  I was frank about my social media regarding their product.  It appears on their website that the repair is cost is 55 Brit Pounds,  which is $65-70.   If I ever get instructions, I'd give it a go and see. 

I'd guess one Zumo screen is worth about 5 Beelines so far as materials and costs.  And that's one of criticisms of Beeline, it's plastic and appears cheap and flimsy.  

IIRC, the Zūmo 550 was about $800US when it came out, maybe around 2008. I suppose my screen played up after about five years and the "repair" /refurb unit was $175 if memory serves. So, about 1/5-1/4 the cost of new.

That ratio would suggest that the Beeline repair cost would value the Beeline at around $300US. (I have no idea what they cost, but thought they are cheaper than that?)

(FWIW, my resourceful buddy got a replacement Zūmo screen for like eight bucks and installed it himself. :rolleyes: )

33 minutes ago, docc said:

IIRC, the Zūmo 550 was about $800US when it came out, maybe around 2008. I suppose my screen played up after about five years and the "repair" /refurb unit was $175 if memory serves. So, about 1/5-1/4 the cost of new.

That ratio would suggest that the Beeline repair cost would value the Beeline at around $300US. (I have no idea what they cost, but thought they are cheaper than that?)

(FWIW, my resourceful buddy got a replacement Zūmo screen for like eight bucks and installed it himself. :rolleyes: )

I think they're about $150-200 new.  They also have a special purchase discount for previous owners and offer refurbed/used sales too.   I'd just as soon fix mine but I'll figure it out when I hear back.  Or just chuck it.

• Like 1

I was able to get the unit to reinitialize and appears to be working.  At least in the house.  First it worked with my wife's phone.  After several tries I was able to reinitialize the unit and establish a handshake with my phone.  I'm not sure how stable it it but it did finally work. 

I wrote too  soon, not connecting to either phone now. 

Update (4 Jul).  Finally got it to work again.  Got it to UNPAIR on the unit itself.  When it finally started it needed to reinitialize the gyro.  Then it paired with my phone and started working again.  I did three restarts and directions.

• Like 1