Muffler / passenger footpeg hangers

nobleswood

It's for the stock V11 2004 version.

I was musing about what I wanted to do to clean up the lines of the rear of my bike. Pull the blanket of a mudshield from the tyre & install a slimmer cleaner hugger. Cut the passenger footpegs off the muffler hangers. Then fabricate a tail tidy of sorts. Change the bulbous brake light for an LED unit. Then as the beer adjusted my capacity for what is reasonable, started looking at those sexy Rizoma turn indicators. At that point I realised I'd strayed into fantasyland & went to bed :lol:

So if anyone has a set lying around, of no use...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, nobleswood said:

I was musing about what I wanted to do to clean up the lines of the rear of my bike. Pull the blanket of a mudshield from the tyre & install a slimmer cleaner hugger. Cut the passenger footpegs off the muffler hangers. Then fabricate a tail tidy of sorts. Change the bulbous brake light for an LED unit. Then as the beer adjusted my capacity for what is reasonable, started looking at those sexy Rizoma turn indicators. At that point I realised I'd strayed into fantasyland & went to bed :lol:

Its easy to fabricate muffler hangers with simple hand tools from 5mm aluminium plate. Better than ruining a good set of standard hangers by chopping off the peg mounts.

Ciao

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, nobleswood said:

Ah you’ve shamed me into it :rolleyes:

Whilst I can see 5 mm being stiff enough for the fore & aft loads, will that be enough for the side to side vibration ? Does there need to be a rib  added ?

I recall a fabricator talking me out of a "rib" (or a "web") and the bracket failed. At a bad time (as always). It wasn't a V11 canister hanger, but if the question is, "Add a rib?"

You have my yes.  Overkill?  Better than underkilled . . . <_<

• Like 2

1 hour ago, nobleswood said:

Whilst I can see 5 mm being stiff enough for the fore & aft loads, will that be enough for the side to side vibration ? Does there need to be a rib  added ?

depends on the design I think. Two separate legs?- I agree w/docc. If fabbing a one piece "plate" (with a contoured center portion removed) I'd think that was strong enough to resist the side to side.

• Like 2

On 11/27/2020 at 9:41 AM, nobleswood said:

something to consider for your tail tidy. easy fab, I have more details.

IMG-1166.5.jpg

• Like 1

17 hours ago, nobleswood said:

A triangular style with a centre relief cut out will be strong enough in 5mm plate ally.

Ciao 

2 hours ago, footgoose said:

something to consider for your tail tidy. easy fab, I have more details.

IMG-1166.5.jpg

I’d appreciate it if you could post or email me the details for your tail tidy. My sport came with the license plate bracket mounted on the inner fender in front of the tire. I’m too old to run that setup so I’ve considered going back to stock, but I like the look of yours.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Bob Maynard said:

I’d appreciate it if you could post or email me the details for your tail tidy. My sport came with the license plate bracket mounted on the inner fender in front of the tire. I’m too old to run that setup so I’ve considered going back to stock, but I like the look of yours.

Sure Bob. I thought I'd find a "Tail tidy" topic to place the info. This came up using a topic search. Maybe others can find it the same way.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 8 months later...