Engineering art

Lucky Phil

I'm a newby to welding/brazing..
What is meant by in line fluxer?  I'm surprised he doesn't tack the other side and the other end of the pipe. How is the pipe held in place before you start and while heating part of it?

8 hours ago, fotoguzzi said:

I'm a newby to welding/brazing..
What is meant by in line fluxer?  I'm surprised he doesn't tack the other side and the other end of the pipe. How is the pipe held in place before you start and while heating part of it?

In line flux would be a flux incorporated into the rod. If you look closely you can see the joints have very small steel tac welds to hold them in alignment as well as the jig of course. You can hear some creep as he pre heats the tubes.

Ciao

My old boss would call that bronze welding, brazing being the sucking of bronze into the joint by capillary action, with old fashioned lugged joints. Either way, thats a damn nice piece of work right there. Thoroughly enjoyed that Phil. Gonna have to try and up my game a touch.

1 hour ago, sunbeamtim said:

My old boss would call that bronze welding, brazing being the sucking of bronze into the joint by capillary action, with old fashioned lugged joints. Either way, thats a damn nice piece of work right there. Thoroughly enjoyed that Phil. Gonna have to try and up my game a touch.

Yep, same here. It's Bronze welding to me as well. I'd need to do more than simply upping my game I'm afraid, more like learning how to play it at all in comparison.

I was also looking at TIG Bronze welding which uses different rod composition without flux. Looks easier with a bit more latitude. 

Ciao