V11 Triking oil feed

kool keef

Does anyone know which oil pipe union on the front of the engine, is the return from the oil cooler?

I am building a Triking with a V11 Sport engine and want to mount the oil cooler vertically, so want the return from the topmost union.

• Like 1

The Parts Catalog indicates the left side line is the return.

Some Elvan siren in my brain always brings me back to the idea of mounting a Guzzi big-block on a "Moggie" trike.  I do hope you will let us in on how your Triking comes along!

• Like 2

A design philosophy to consider is to assist thermo-syphon effects. If both pump flow and "hot oil rising, cool oil falling effect" go in the same direction, then flow is better. I believe that the hot supply should go into the cooler at the top, and cold return out the bottom, just like a car coolant radiator.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MartyNZ said:

A design philosophy to consider is to assist thermo-syphon effects. If both pump flow and "hot oil rising, cool oil falling effect" go in the same direction, then flow is better. I believe that the hot supply should go into the cooler at the top, and cold return out the bottom, just like a car coolant radiator.

Personally I can't see how this has any relevance at all. Thermo-syphoning effect in a pump circulated system is largely irrelevant. A pressurised pump driven automotive cooling system is arranged the way it is because of gravity. Any system with a pump in it is going to feed from the bottom of the reservoir (which the heat exchanger is in many systems) even if it runs at room temperature. Nothing to do with thermo-syphoning. It's true that if you were running a pure thermo-syphon system then you would organise it this way but the Guzzi oiling system isn't that sort of system. My car has the usual automotive cooling system but additionally uses Thermo-syphon to get heat out of the turbocharger housing when you shut the engine down. In addition the Guzzi has a thermostat that bypasses the oil cooler unless the temp is at a pre determined level. You can arrange the oil feed and return for the cooler any way you want the only thing that might be desirable is the have the cooler mounted horizontally with the feed and return to the top purely so the oil in the cooler doesn't have the tendency to drain back to the sump on shut down. All it would mean is a slight delay in building oil pressure on a hot start at worst. Nice to do but not essential.

Ciao    

• Like 1

I would be more concerned with air pockets in the system than thermo-syphoning. It is, after all, a fairly high pressure system. Flow is going to flow when the oil pump is running.

And I think that is why he wants to set it up the way he described. Running the oil in at the bottom of the cooler and out the top would help keep air pockets from forming in the cooler. But I do prefer the horizontal set up that the V11 originally came with, for reasons Phil described.

33 minutes ago, kool keef said:

Thanks for your replies guys.  Here is the unfinished projectDBFB53F9-25C8-4008-83B4-7ABD02D8F8B0_1_105_c.jpeg

Oh, that is delightful!!  :thumbsup:  Love the "period" valve covers . . .

I would think the V11 6speeder gearbox and bevel drive ratios will be very lively and well matched to that application. As well as the V11 camshaft!

• Like 1

14 hours ago, kool keef said:

Thanks for your replies guys.  Here is the unfinished projectDBFB53F9-25C8-4008-83B4-7ABD02D8F8B0_1_105_c.jpeg

That is sweet. I love it. Nicely done. I hope you are able to get it finished soon.

• 2 months later...
On 12/14/2020 at 4:56 PM, kool keef said:

Jay Leno on his Morgan iii trikes. I really think the Guzzi motor suits this "to a T" . . .

• docc changed the title to V11 Triking oil feed
9 minutes ago, fotoguzzi said:

Your not mounting the cooler in front of that beautiful VTwin, I hope.

That's a good question for @kool keef! Before the Leno video, I did not realize the original Morgan had a radiator in the cowl behind the engine. Seems the perfect place for an oil cooler?, then