Damper too lose?

rich888

12 hours ago, rich888 said:

Not sure why but the steering damper on my V11 seems a bit loose.

Too loose do you think? Does the whole unit really need to be replaced?

Seems odd to have worn so much?

vid

The spherical bearing is worn. There should be no linier movement in the bearing. Spherical movement yes, linier movement no.

Ciao  

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Chuck said:

It's toast.

:lol:

Yep, but seems odd for it to wear so much, unless of course it's cr@p materials and once it gets slightly loose, vibration takes care of the rest...

They seem pricey for what they are (£300 list! Really???), so I'll see if I can find a new joint rather than the whole thing.

10 hours ago, docc said:

Does it actually show any play swinging the forks side to side?

Nope, just up and down and the the swivel is quite loose. The MOT guy mentioned it last year but didn't fail it, so was curious about these just being like this or was it really shagged. You guys in the States don't have to worry about an annual road worthyness test right?

I can just take it off for the test!

43 minutes ago, rich888 said:

Nope, just up and down and the the swivel is quite loose. The MOT guy mentioned it last year but didn't fail it, so was curious about these just being like this or was it really shagged. You guys in the States don't have to worry about an annual road worthyness test right?

I can just take it off for the test!

I don't know anywhere here in The States that annual inspection would find something like that. Removing it for MOT seems a good approach.

I always perform my own Annual Roadworthiness Test, also known as The South'n Spine Raid.  :grin:  :luigi:

It does not seem that the linear play would impair the function of the damper.  Is there radial play (side to side)?

• Like 1

18 hours ago, docc said:

I don't know anywhere here in The States that annual inspection would find something like that. Removing it for MOT seems a good approach.

I always perform my own Annual Roadworthiness Test, also known as The South'n Spine Raid.  :grin:  :luigi:

It does not seem that the linear play would impair the function of the damper.  Is there radial play (side to side)?

The damper works fine as does the joint on the head of it. The joint that attaches to the forks has the play which, for some reason is only up and down. The ball isn't rattling about loose, it just seems to be able to move up and down a bit.

I've found replacement rod ends from £5 upwards depending on material and bearing material so I'll just pop a new one on.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, rich888 said:

The damper works fine as does the joint on the head of it. The joint that attaches to the forks has the play which, for some reason is only up and down. The ball isn't rattling about loose, it just seems to be able to move up and down a bit.

I've found replacement rod ends from £5 upwards depending on material and bearing material so I'll just pop a new one on.

Oh, you are just saying it needs a shim? You can't tighten the fastener to take the play out? (scratching head)