Damper too lose?

rich888

2 hours ago, Admin Jaap said:

I've tried fastening it. Let's just say it wasn't one of my better judgement calls

How could you go wrong if it needs a washer to make it fit? Even at that, I have a hard time imagining an issue..?

7 hours ago, Chuck said:

How could you go wrong if it needs a washer to make it fit? Even at that, I have a hard time imagining an issue..?

It's been a while, but I remember vividly that the bike almost didn't steer when you tighten it too fast. I decided to take it off completely after that. Put it back on when I changed it to the Ghezzi & Brian version V11.

The steering damper needs to be able to move freely. Any resistance or friction in how it is attached at either end is generally bad. As the handle bars turn, the damper needs to be able to allow for movement in more than a single plane. Because generally the damper isn't perfectly perpendicular to the axis of steering. It is close, but not quite. I would rather have it a little loose than a little tight.

I would rather run without it than run it in questionable condition. It really isn't required on a bike with fairly relaxed steering geometry like the V11. On a TZ250, yeah you need one with 22 degrees of rake and not much trail. But a Guzzi isn't nearly that aggressive steering geometry wise.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, GuzziMoto said:

The steering damper needs to be able to move freely. Any resistance or friction in how it is attached at either end is generally bad. As the handle bars turn, the damper needs to be able to allow for movement in more than a single plane. Because generally the damper isn't perfectly perpendicular to the axis of steering. It is close, but not quite. I would rather have it a little loose than a little tight.

I would rather run without it than run it in questionable condition. It really isn't required on a bike with fairly relaxed steering geometry like the V11. On a TZ250, yeah you need one with 22 degrees of rake and not much trail. But a Guzzi isn't nearly that aggressive steering geometry wise.

That's why its mounted in a spherical ball. I usually put an oring on one side of spherical bearings between the ball and the damper cylinder mount bracket that stops them rattling around but still allows rotational movement in 2 planes. Same with the rod end bearings on my torque rod. Stopping the rod and or damper unwanted movement dramatically keeps the wear down.  

Ciao

• Like 2