Advice request: Biker's equipment from head to toe for a (old) principiante in H'town Texas (Yee Haa?)

1 hour ago, LowRyter said:

I'm good with my Neotec 2, got it for under $500 from Champion Helmets in Europe.  Has ECE emblem on it.  It's a little tight in the temple over a few hours' ride, hopeful it will break in.  Compared to the original Neo, this needs to slam shut which is a difficult when you're riding with it open and attempt to close it.  It might drag more air when it's open too.

So far as quiet, I wear earplugs.  I recommend earplugs along with  other gear.   I've heard Arai is the loudest helmet and Shoei are actually quieter.  But modular helmet is going to be louder.  The Arai's are featherlight and the best quality for little I've ridden them. 

The only gear I don't wear regularly are riding pants, for local travel I wear jeans (and I have regretted doing that on fall off).

As mentioned above, I never isolate myself phonetically from the outside world. I may change my mind, but I usually treat sounds as part of the safety envelope. Of course, on a Moto Guzzi, I may hear nothing but.

1 hour ago, p6x said:

Hi Paul,

I am usually around 13+ for shoe size, depending on the brand. Medium/large for helmet; but again, some helmets are uncomfortable when wearing prescription glasses.

I live at the limits of Spring Valley.

I never imagined there was so many Guzzisti enthusiasts in Texas. I have been a couple of times to the Lonestar Rally in Galveston, and mainly saw HD's and Japanese bikes.

Again, thanks for the information.

Ok...good to hear.  Boots are definitely out then.  I have a practically brand new Nolan XL that might interest you (not modular), and if it fits, it's yours for a coffee and pastry at Fellinis and a small donation to the site here.  The guy who owned it (also Guzzisti, passed away a couple years ago) wore it two or 3 times and he also wore glasses....It's as if it were brand new.  Can send pics if you are interested.

Spring Valley - got it!  I lived in Spring Branch less than 1/4 mile away from Spring Valley for about 5 years, still have my house down there, but we live now on the NW side again.  (Bingle/Westview area).  By the way, I presume you know that MPH (Park Row and I-10) is where you can still get great service help for your Guzzi - I presume you're familiar with Mike Haven's long history as one of the best Guzzi dealers in the U.S., but if not, he's just down the highway from you for any service or parts needs, even though he doesn't sell new bikes anymore.  Davey is the mechanic who works on Guzzis now at MPH.

Hope the fly and ride goes well!

A few other Guzzisti live out towards Katy, when we ride out to Brookshire or Fayetteville, we'll rope in those guys to join us from time to time.

P.D.  Down in Texas, note that it's Yee Haw, rather than Yee-Haa!  These are important cultural nuances, as I'm sure you know!  (I'm a Californian, living in Texas for more than 23 years now!

Ci vediamo pronto as they say... :)

• Like 1
37 minutes ago, docc said:

Agreed. But leathers are so sexxxxeeeeee!

progirl_b.jpg

I look for opportunities to wear mine, but they are not very utilitarian.  In my AeroStich Roadcrafter I look like a tarped-down flatbed load on an overweight longhaul rig . . .

Screen%20Shot%202019-09-12%20at%208.33.4

I don't know if they have improved leather quality, but my pants used to sag at the bottom. It looked like I was incontinent and wearing a nappy.

The sexiest stuff I saw was during summer on the Adriatic coast. Girls riding with body stockings. Not great for protection, pun intended. They were riding Vespas. Those were the good days....

From what I understood, long rides on the 2004 Le Mans may be uncomfortable due to the foot pegs position, and the slightly forward position of the body.

Am I going to need wrists support?

17 minutes ago, p6x said:

From what I understood, long rides on the 2004 Le Mans may be uncomfortable due to the foot pegs position, and the slightly forward position of the body.

No...but you're going to need reasonably good abdominals and back muscles so that you can support yourself in that riding position comfortably...if ever there were a bike that encourages "core" muscle development, it's the V11 Variant.

:)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
6 minutes ago, docc said:

Gotta remember, proper leather riding gear is tailored for the riding position!

Keira-Knightley-Ducati-750SS-660x414.jpg

Walking around in your leather riding pants is going to look, well, not like that!

Looks like a Pantah and Place de la Concorde in Paris France...

Are you certain those are leathers?

25 minutes ago, p6x said:

This is a long running complaint with some members here, but personally I find the V11 stock position pretty good. I have a 2001 red frame, so maybe it’s different from a 2004. I am 6’2”, kind of a lanky build, and once I’m in the bike it’s good. The bars are on clip-on risers, so it’s not an aggressive lean. It’s akin to a Ducati SuperSport or other “gentleman sport bike” / sport-touring rides. It puts you forward enough to lean in and out of the wind a bit. Better for me than a more upright position. As mentioned, the wrist thing is about using your core and thighs and knees. The substantial and flared tank is good for this. Tank grips may help. There are aftermarket or Buell pegs that wil give you another inch or so, but your foot will be outside more due to the bend, and you’ll have to adjust the linkage. I am happy with the stock pegs. The most fatigue I get is from peg and bar vibration at certain RPM ranges. I do sometimes suffer hip cramps when I first mount, but I think it’s more from being old, drinking too much, and not eating  enough bananas. Once I settle into the bike it’s a great ride, vibes and all.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
3 minutes ago, PJPR01 said:

No...but you're going to need reasonably good abdominals and back muscles so that you can support yourself in that riding position comfortably...if ever there were a bike that encourages "core" muscle development, it's the V11 Variant.

:)

As far as abdominals, I have those procured by brews.

As far as back is concerned, now you got me worried. One of the reason why the previous owner sold that bike is precisely because he could no longer ride it due to his back.

I may add a back support to the list then...

3 minutes ago, Kane said:

This is a long running complaint with some members here, but personally I find the V11 stock position pretty good. I have a 2001 red frame, so maybe it’s different from a 2004. I am 6’2”, kind of a lanky build, and once I’m in the bike it’s good. The bars are on clip-on risers, so it’s not an aggressive lean. It’s akin to a Ducati SuperSport or other “gentleman sport bike” / sport-touring rides. It puts you forward enough to lean in and out of the wind a bit. Better for me than a more upright position. The wrist thing is about using your core and thighs and knees. The substantial and flared tank is good for this. Tank grips may help. There are aftermarket or Buell pegs that wil give you another inch or so, but your foot will be outside more due to the bend, and you’ll have to adjust the linkage. I am happy with the stock pegs. The most fatigue I get is from peg and bar vibration at certain RPM ranges. I do sometimes suffer hip cramps when I first mount, but I think it’s more from being old, drinking too much, and not eating  enough bananas. Once I settle into the bike it’s a great ride, vibes and all.

I am 6' tall and 174 lbs. Probably in the lanky category too. I have never been on what could pass for a "comfortable" bike. I am sure I am amenable.

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, p6x said:

Looks like a Pantah and Place de la Concorde in Paris France...

Are you certain those are leathers?

I want that those are leathers. I want that that is a real Ducati Sport. I want that she was riding it and wearing them.

Of course, that is what Coco Chanel was after . . . that we would want . . .

Getting real riding gear that actually works for us is a process.  How many of us have a bin full of what didn't work. As much as "we wanted" it to . . .

• Haha 1
9 minutes ago, docc said:

I want that those are leathers. I want that that is a real Ducati Sport. I want that she was riding it and wearing them.

Of course, that is what Coco Chanel was after . . . that we would want . . .

Here ya go:

The bike is real, but the rider is probably a stand in.

• Like 3

Okay, okay - that is all fun, but riding an unknown V11 from Florida to Texas in January is serious stuff.

Wear what you want (I would not go without my Roadcrafter and Alpinestar boots), but take a pocketful of High Current OMRON relays and make certain the battery has been properly conditioned (or ship one ahead with a correct charger).

There are times the V11 clip-ons have challenged my wrists and elbows. Other times, the rear-sets have cramped my pelvis and knees. Hydrate and take an electrolyte supplement. Stop every hour or so. Watch the limited fuel range of the V11.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1