Advice request: Biker's equipment from head to toe for a (old) principiante in H'town Texas (Yee Haa?)

2 hours ago, LowRyter said:

I have several throttle locks, the simplest, easiest to use and most reliable is the "clothespin style", one like this:

https://www.wleodv.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=69377

It take all of about 30 seconds to install.  Slip it over the throttle grip, make sure there is adequate tension, and then when you're riding, just slide it with your thumb on to the brake lever.  (Just make sure you don't accidently slip it behind the brake lever.)

I have a plastic one similar to this one.  I also have an aluminum one from China that I never bothered to install.   I have some more expensive ones that are more complex and never seem to work because they are always out of adjustment.  

These are $10-20 and sacrificial when they lose tension, although I'm using the same one a bought a couple of years ago.

61x-GggYyrL._SL1500_.jpg

It feels "odd" to use a cruise control system on a bike... it somewhat infers with the idea of being free; as in having a direct link to ecstasy via the throttle. 

But I always follow advice. I will carry one, even if I don't use it.

• Like 1
58 minutes ago, Tomchri said:

Doesn’t matter what bike you ride something called pain will hit you., it’s nice to get off, stretch, and  :rasta: after 50 ~ 100m, and go again.    Sleepy roads up Florida and making a left turn west.  If you’re excited about this, just do it .   Have a good friend picking up old bikes and cars cheap, never checks anything, but gets  home.  Pocket spare parts will do it.

Have a fun trip.

Cheers tom.

Breaking down is part of the adventure anyway... only, it is dangerous nowadays!

1 hour ago, p6x said:

It feels "odd" to use a cruise control system on a bike... it somewhat infers with the idea of being free; as in having a direct link to ecstasy via the throttle. 

But I always follow advice. I will carry one, even if I don't use it.

The idea is give your wrist a rest when you feel it getting sore.  And you only  have to take it off for a minute or so, maybe 20 seconds.  You don't have the issue with the left wrist since you can take it off the grip when you  want to.  Go on a long  trip, especially on a long straight interstate, then you'll know.

• Like 1
5 hours ago, p6x said:

The biggest hazard remains my spouse. I have not "clearly" mentioned that I purchased a bike. Covid-19 is nothing compared to her wrath.

Maybe get all your protective gear first. I’ve dodged a few coffee cups in my day. A full face helmet would have come in handy.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Hmmmmm . Let's go over this "clearly " mentioned STUFF . You think your wife doesn't know you purchased a bike !  Every night you go to sleep , she gives you the Vulcan mind probe and finds out every thought , act and muse you have done that day . She isn't going to bring it up , simply for the fact she "can and will use it against you" when the time comes ! 

You cannot ration or reason ANY discussion about this motorcycle . The day will come you will simply say "oh , I thought I told you?" ..... Then_____________________ buy her a pair of Jimmy Choo high heels and a pricey purse .

• Like 2
  • Haha 3
  • 2 weeks later...
On 12/29/2020 at 5:31 PM, gstallons said:

Hmmmmm . Let's go over this "clearly " mentioned STUFF . You think your wife doesn't know you purchased a bike !  Every night you go to sleep , she gives you the Vulcan mind probe and finds out every thought , act and muse you have done that day . She isn't going to bring it up , simply for the fact she "can and will use it against you" when the time comes ! 

You cannot ration or reason ANY discussion about this motorcycle . The day will come you will simply say "oh , I thought I told you?" ..... Then_____________________ buy her a pair of Jimmy Choo high heels and a pricey purse .

Pretty quiet from @p6x for a couple weeks . . . :huh:

I can only fathom that, 1) He's got the LeMans on the way back to Texas, 2) He gave up on our sorry selves, or 3) (worst case scenario): the "Jimmy Choo high heels and pricey purse" didn't work . :blink:

• Like 1
  • 1 year later...

I am going to need a leather jacket too;

What should it be? Shott or Shangri-la?

Shott has a red leather option; I usually purchase pre-owned. A leather jacket in Texas maybe a bit of challenge, but I need something to affix my patches.

A good source for a pre-owned leather jacket is the Fedora Lounge Internet forum. Those folks are really into quality jackets, some for riding and some for pedestrian use, but they put up nice stuff and good deals. I have bought a couple of great vintage Cal Leather jackets there and all worked out great. Even took them to the Cal Leather factory in Ventura for a tune up. If I had an extra $1200 that I needed to spend I would have Gwen and crew at Cal Leather make me one of their cafe racer style jackets. They do beautiful work.

To add to the mix about riding gear: about 6 months ago I bought an Alpinestars Tech Air 5 airbag vest. I had been putting off getting one for a while because of the price, but I will never go back to riding without this. Once it’s on you don’t notice it. It also made my back and shoulder armor redundant, so my jackets all fit better now, even with the vest under them. A brilliant piece for gear, and the most essential, IMHO, after a helmet.

• Thanks 1
10 hours ago, Kane said:

A good source for a pre-owned leather jacket is the Fedora Lounge Internet forum.

I took a quick look this morning; some of the pre-owned leather jackets I looked at were more expensive than a new Shangri-La Café Racer sold new by a shop here in Houston...

I will look more, but prices don't seem realistic and I don't haggle.

Is the brand Aero Cafe Racer Black any good? I thought a used leather jacket would be around $400;

https://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/fs-aero-cafe-racer-black-custom-collar.107112/

• Like 1

A lot of the people there buy and sell expensive jackets, and are collectors and fashionistas. But there are some good deals some times and they seem more trustworthy and informative than most eBay sellers. You shouldn't have to pay more than $400 for an awesome jacket. You could even get into a new Vanson for that ballpark. 

• Thanks 1

You can find them reasonably priced or even cheap if you're willing to do the work with searching. I had a phase a dozen years and more ago and did well finding some. I would not/will not pay retail or the inflated collector/vintage prices. Back then CL was quite popular and doing national searches got me two very good condition Vanson for less than 200. ea. By posting an ebay search I got a practically unused Aerostich Roadcrafter 2piece for 400., and a cool vintage Yamaha brand leather racing jacket for 50.  The boutique dealers are going to be pricey, it's only business. You'll just want to beat them to it. I also found that the dedicated Cafe Racer forums I used to frequent, had classifieds with nice, mostly vintage jackets often listed. You might even start a search with a 'wanted' in this forum's classifieds. Never know what might turn up.

• Thanks 1