Advice request: Biker's equipment from head to toe for a (old) principiante in H'town Texas (Yee Haa?)

6 hours ago, p6x said:

I took a quick look this morning; some of the pre-owned leather jackets I looked at were more expensive than a new Shangri-La Café Racer sold new by a shop here in Houston...

I will look more, but prices don't seem realistic and I don't haggle.

Is the brand Aero Cafe Racer Black any good? I thought a used leather jacket would be around $400;

https://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/fs-aero-cafe-racer-black-custom-collar.107112/

I don’t personally know Aero, but if that jacket is horse hide, as stated, that may have something to do with its high price. It’s usually an up-charge in a jacket and no longer very common. I don’t think you can get a Vanson jacket made today with horse hide. Both of my Cals are horse and I bought them off of that site for around $300 each. Horse hide is supposed to be tougher than cow hide, and it creaks when you squeeze or smoosh it.

• Thanks 1

https://www.foxcreekleather.com/fcl-cafe-racer/

These guys make some of the best.  I have one similar.  They take your measurements and tailor make in upstairs of their shop in Independence, VA.  American made leather, lifetime guarantee. A bit pricy  but I found worth every penny.

Not sure about armor, I don't have in mine.  Generally I opt for my Dainese Air Frame textile jacket with either the D-Air bag vest or a track vest underneath instead of the leather.  I'm too old to be sportin' leather for chicks! :unsure:

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
22 hours ago, p6x said:

I took a quick look this morning; some of the pre-owned leather jackets I looked at were more expensive than a new Shangri-La Café Racer sold new by a shop here in Houston...

I will look more, but prices don't seem realistic and I don't haggle.

Is the brand Aero Cafe Racer Black any good? I thought a used leather jacket would be around $400;

https://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/fs-aero-cafe-racer-black-custom-collar.107112/

A fun anecdote;
I was the parts manager at H-D Miami in the '90s. 
While moving into our new building, I discovered an old box of leather jackets. H-D had a program in the '70s where you could trade in your old jacket for 1/2 off a new one, or somesuch; nobody had ever returned the old jackets to the factory. 
I sold those jackets at a 20% premium over the new jackets, and sold them all. Most were $500+.
You just can't buy the credibility of age very often. I laughed under my breath as these customers wore the jackets as if they'd been riding for 30 years and teased their buddies about their shiny new leather.
So the high price on the fedora lounge items doesn't surprise me.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
On 3/4/2022 at 12:50 PM, Kane said:

A lot of the people there buy and sell expensive jackets, and are collectors and fashionistas. But there are some good deals some times and they seem more trustworthy and informative than most eBay sellers. You shouldn't have to pay more than $400 for an awesome jacket. You could even get into a new Vanson for that ballpark. 

I bought my cheap Korean summer jacket on Ebay for a few dollars.

Maybe its me, but I was imagining that clothing several years old and pre-owned should not attract a large premium. I am not talking about collectible wear.

I am going to keep looking. Eventually, someone will just look for somebody to give a second life to a jacket that is no longer useful to them.

9 hours ago, Pressureangle said:

A fun anecdote;
I was the parts manager at H-D Miami in the '90s. 
While moving into our new building, I discovered an old box of leather jackets. H-D had a program in the '70s where you could trade in your old jacket for 1/2 off a new one, or somesuch; nobody had ever returned the old jackets to the factory. 
I sold those jackets at a 20% premium over the new jackets, and sold them all. Most were $500+.
You just can't buy the credibility of age very often. I laughed under my breath as these customers wore the jackets as if they'd been riding for 30 years and teased their buddies about their shiny new leather.
So the high price on the fedora lounge items doesn't surprise me.

There is a similar train of thought for guitars.

Nowadays, people want their brand new guitars look like they have been played 50 years.

• Like 2
On 3/4/2022 at 5:40 PM, Tom in Virginia said:

https://www.foxcreekleather.com/fcl-cafe-racer/

These guys make some of the best.  I have one similar.  They take your measurements and tailor make in upstairs of their shop in Independence, VA.  American made leather, lifetime guarantee. A bit pricy  but I found worth every penny.

Not sure about armor, I don't have in mine.  Generally I opt for my Dainese Air Frame textile jacket with either the D-Air bag vest or a track vest underneath instead of the leather.  I'm too old to be sportin' leather for chicks! :unsure:

See what I mean?

The jacket tailor made from Foxcreekleather has a comparable price with some of the pre-owned jackets I looked at on the Fedora Lounge.

They look pretty good too....

With a leather jacket, here in Texas, I don't think I could wear protections. Unless I intend to pass away from dehydration. I need a Café Racer Leather jacket suitable for Death Valley!!!

Maybe this one? https://www.foxcreekleather.com/mens-summer-riding-jacket/

• Like 2
1 hour ago, p6x said:

See what I mean?

The jacket tailor made from Foxcreekleather has a comparable price with some of the pre-owned jackets I looked at on the Fedora Lounge.

They look pretty good too....

With a leather jacket, here in Texas, I don't think I could wear protections. Unless I intend to pass away from dehydration. I need a Café Racer Leather jacket suitable for Death Valley!!!

Maybe this one? https://www.foxcreekleather.com/mens-summer-riding-jacket/

Do realize that a Fox Creek jackets is not your department store thickness leather, "soft and feely".  It is real, hand graded thick leather.  Like race leathers thickness/quality.  Their jackets are heavy and wear very well.  My jacket is probably 15 years old and would pass as almost new, despite 10 years of hard use. 

I'd call them and get someone on the phone who can talk "tailoring" you a new custom fitted jacket.  The down stairs is usually just a store clerk.  Tell them you want to speak to someone from "upstairs" who is actually involved in the fitting/cutting/sewing process.

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, Tom in Virginia said:

Do realize that a Fox Creek jackets is not your department store thickness leather, "soft and feely".  It is real, hand graded thick leather.  Like race leathers thickness/quality.  Their jackets are heavy and wear very well.  My jacket is probably 15 years old and would pass as almost new, despite 10 years of hard use. 

I'd call them and get someone on the phone who can talk "tailoring" you a new custom fitted jacket.  The down stairs is usually just a store clerk.  Tell them you want to speak to someone from "upstairs" who is actually involved in the fitting/cutting/sewing process.

Since you are in Texas, make sure the jacket you get has zip-able front and back vents, as well as vented pit zips.  Mine also has 3M piping front and back for nighttime reflectivity.  I don't see my style shown but is similar to https://www.foxcreekleather.com/mens-grayson-motorcycle-jacket/.

• Like 2

+1 on Fox Creek leather, realy well made with high quality leather. Great price to, for a hand made jacket. One happy purchase.

Cheers Tom.

• Like 2

I found a nice suit, but I doubt it is made of noble leather. Besides, I am not certain the lace will not wear out prematurely...

Leather jacket

• Like 3
  • Haha 2
10 hours ago, docc said:

Makes me want to recommend Z-Custom Leathers , again, in California, USA, that built mine.

(No, these aren't mine. And that ain't me . . .) :glare:

progirl_b.jpg

I'd say that it is really difficult to wear leathers in Texas. At least not for a long period of time. A one piece suit probably implies wearing swimming trunks underneath...

• Like 2
1 hour ago, docc said:

Same, of course, elsewhere in the US south. My leathers are twenty years old and look embarrassingly new.

You can get them artificially "weathered", it is on fashion nowadays....:D

Seriously though, I have seen some "vented' summer leathers, but I now know that there is nothing really adapted for safety and the humid Texas style heat.

I have been wearing all my summer gear in cold weather, the only way to appreciate how well they are "vented". With the cold air hitting you, you can properly gauge how ventilated the garment is.

The outside temperature is not the issue. The compounding effect of humidity is what really makes it unpleasant.

Something good about leather, and wondering a bit after,, spending some time in Houston, how would my Rukka Amaros behave there?   It’s on the chilly side up here, you need to bring the inside warm part along after sunset. Yes I know cold, no fun riding watching out for your teeth shaking out of control.

Cheers Tom.

• Like 3