2021 project -- what round fin base to start with

griswoia

I've always wanted a round fin big bore Guzzi.  I've got two v11's and have ridden coast to coast on my 2002 lemans twice now.  So I get their quirks and the solidity of the tech.

So I'm going to start a GT/cafe project this coming year and want to know what round face n make the best jump off point?  Obviously I'm looking for something that accelerates and shift like it was a bike and not a tractor.  I rode an old eldorado once and whole charming I can't really see how you could hustle that platform.

Is this too much to ask of the round fins?  I look at all the old BMW flying bricks and r/75s and know they are really just trucks when you are on them.  

Thoughts? Inspirations? Critiques?  I'm open to it all.

thanks and happy holidays all.

Ian

Also I know the older lemans look great but are they the only path (hate to chop one up)???

• Like 1

All the roundfin Tonti's are basically the same apart from valve size, combustion chamber and piston dome shape and carburettor and port size. Pretty much everything else is cosmetic.

Please don't hack up yet another lovely old T3 or SP. if you want to build some turgid 'Cafe Racer' start off with something shitful that nobody cares about.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, griswoia said:

I've always wanted a round fin big bore Guzzi.  I've got two v11's and have ridden coast to coast on my 2002 lemans twice now.  So I get their quirks and the solidity of the tech.

So I'm going to start a GT/cafe project this coming year and want to know what round face n make the best jump off point?  Obviously I'm looking for something that accelerates and shift like it was a bike and not a tractor.  I rode an old eldorado once and whole charming I can't really see how you could hustle that platform.

Is this too much to ask of the round fins?  I look at all the old BMW flying bricks and r/75s and know they are really just trucks when you are on them.  

Thoughts? Inspirations? Critiques?  I'm open to it all.

thanks and happy holidays all.

Ian

Also I know the older lemans look great but are they the only path (hate to chop one up)???

Machine the V11 fins round, removing a minimum, and retrofit to a Tonti frame.

On 12/27/2020 at 8:31 PM, pete roper said:

How about a Kawasaki Z440.

Really.. can't even go for the obvious cx500???  Neg 1 for lack of effort

Meh if the bike is a non runner putting it back on the road in any condition is a win.

I guess asking this forum is a non wining strategy but few of these are rolling art.  There is a reason the E-Type or 911 or Healy is collectible and an MGB, alpha sud or TR7 isn't.  Notice I didn't ask about classic Le Mans right???  Most round cyl Guzzis are workaday aquired taste at best.  

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Mark Etheridge of Moto Guzzi classics has done a few California to 1000S style conversions. They may not be round fin motors, but I think these are Tonti frames? Maybe that’s too new of a base for what you have in mind, but it may be a viable way to go that will yield a solid bike.

There should be plenty half dismantled old T3 availlable around with bashed body work etc,better resucitated into a Café than left to rot and waiting for the scrap yard.

Anyway you dont need any bodywork or wheels if they are cast.

Also,You will find plenty low mileage ugly ex police T5 in Italy for E3000 or there about ,you can swap the barrels for new 940 Gilardonis round fins and get Le Mans heads.

Good Luck from Cork, Ireland

(Pics are before and after)

trasher as bought.jpg

squalo speziale2.JPG

• Like 5