Griso and Stelvio Frame

Kane

I saw a Stelvio recently, and I noticed the same wrap around upper frame tubes as with the Griso. At least to my limited experience they looked similar. Do these bikes share the same frame? And what do we call this frame? I’d be interested in hearing about this type of frame, its design and merits. I used to think the Griso was an ugly bike, but I’ve grown to like the look (have not had the pleasure of riding one). The motor is intriguing, as is the frame.

The Griso, Stelvio and Norge are all referred to as "CARC" bikes for their shared rear diff design.

Idk what all the differences in the frames are, but iirc shock swaps have been done between the Griso & Stelvio; the longer shock from the Stelvio to raise the Griso a bit and vice versa, so they're not that far apart.

At first I didn't like the look of the Griso, but it grows on you, it is a fine back roads roadster.

When I saw a good deal come up on a well farkled 2007 2 Valve, in the faster color, I couldn't resist adding it to the herd,lol

• Like 1

Thee are four different basic platforms and frames in the CARC series.

Griso

Stelvio

Norge/Breva/Sport

Bellagio.

While the swingarm, shock linkage and final drives are all identical the frames are all quite different.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, pete roper said:

While the swingarm, shock linkage and final drives are all identical the frames are all quite different.

That’s interesting. From first glance, the top frame tubes on those different bikes had me wondering if there is yet another Guzzi frame family, e.g., the loop frame, Tonti frame, Spine frame. 

The Bellagio uses a sort of hybrid Tonti frame, after a fashion. The other three frames are twin beam perimeter type using the engine as a stressed member. They're all steel and heavy as a very, very heavy thing but they are stiff and robust. Take a look at the parts diagrams and you can clearly see the differences.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2