Yuasa YTX15L or YTX15L-BS

Kane

Went to start her up yesterday after a week of not riding, and the “BikeMaster” battery is completely gone. Measures 1.3v on my multimeter. It was working fine before I put her away, so it seems kind of weird, but I have no idea how old this battery is. 

I’m looking to replace it with a Yuasa. Their site shows a YTX15L. The battery mounts laying on its side, so I’m not sure if I need the YTX15L or the YTX15L-BS. I had always thought that “BS” means “battery sealed”, so as not to leak if mounted on its side, but I read that for Yuasa batteries it means “bottle supplied”, i.e., a battery that comes with bottles of acid solution to prep the battery. If that’s the case, then it will probably not work well being on its side. So, does anyone know for sure what the “BS” means for a Yuasa brand battery?

In addition to the battery going south, I checked my fuses and the 30A battery fuse has the dreaded melted plastic. I am not sure how long it’s been like that, and I guess I should check my regulator, etc. I am a bit of an electro-phobe, so I’m hoping that a new battery and fresh fuses will get me by until I can sort the electrical system out.

Thank you!

Hey docc! Happy New Year, Brother!

Is not Yuasa considered the solid standard brand for motorcycle batteries? That’s my impression, hence my enquiry on a Yuasa to replace the BikeMaster that was in the bike (and vanished, without a trace, while leaving behind an empty husk of itself behind!)

Is there a good source for the Hawker Odyssey? On Amazon Hawker Odyssey batteries come up, but models other then the PC545, and they are pricey. I don’t know if I would buy a battery from Amazon as I only own a battery tender and don’t want to have buy a proper charger right now to deal with charging/prepping it. I’d prefer to get it from a local dealer, ready to go, and I think the Yuasa brand is pretty common.

Yep, Yuasa is pretty common. If it's an AGM (as it should be), there are still specific charging requirements to get best outcomes. Lots of folks have run their Odysseys on common chargers, but I have certainly seen better performance with a correct charger. It can be done manually with any charger 6 amps or more and a careful eye on the voltmeter.

My last PC545 (2014) came from Amazon, $99.84 +about ten bucks sales tax.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Kane said:

That is say that you have gotten 6+ years from it?

Yessir.  It's my fourth (including the original "Spark 500" which was also an Odyssey PC545). The third is still in service in my Kohler twin cylinder garden tractor at 10 1/2 years old.

• Like 1

Hi to all!

The' made in USA' Yuasa, such as the one that was fitted in my 2008 Stelvio from day one come out of the same factory as the Hawker odyssey.

I sold my stelvio last june ,12 years old with the original first day battery.

It was never put on trickle charge, it got flat a couple of times in the winter but always came back to life.

I think that there is a lot of luck involved in the life span of a battery,and a lot of unproven theories about them.

Greetings from Cork.

• Like 1

Yep

I won't put anything but the PC 545 in mine !

The ole tart is turning 20 years old this year and I replaced the original Spark years ago with the PC 545 which as Doc says is same thing.

That lasted until about a year ago.

So in 20 years she's 12 months into her third battery !

They never get charged but then again I ride all year round here,

But having said that she sat unridden for 3 months ( still can't believe that ) when we moved house about 7 years ago and still fired up no issues!!

So I'm sticking with the PC 545.

Cheers Guzzler

• Like 1

My V11 had a Yuasa YTX14-BS in it when I bought her (2nd hand). This worked perfectly for 4 years (plus the time it was in there before I bought the bike) and then died. No leaks, nothing.... My bike is stored in a no-heated-non-insulated garage.... On the Ctek trickle charger once a month.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1