Jump to content
IGNORED

Motor repaint Ram Clutch, Gearbox reseal


Recommended Posts

I'm Starting down the road to pulling the motor on the Scura today..Going to strip the engine paint and fix the dreaded 02 bubbly engine/trans paint, Install a Ram clutch kit, and reseal the trans and do the Lucky Phil shift mods with Chucks shift lever......I did the wheel bearings, and Swing arm bearings last week...

IMG_5823.jpg

  • Like 6
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/18/2021 at 10:46 AM, KINDOY2 said:

I'm Starting down the road to pulling the motor on the Scura today..Going to strip the engine paint and fix the dreaded 02 bubbly engine/trans paint, Install a Ram clutch kit, and reseal the trans and do the Lucky Phil shift mods with Chucks shift lever......I did the wheel bearings, and Swing arm bearings last week...

IMG_5823.jpg

You are a brave man .............. To do it all correctly is truly daunting.  :unsure:

 

Ciao

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

What is daunting to one just may be recreation to another..:grin::oldgit: Carry on, Kindoy.. I'll get my popcorn, too.

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 months later...

Knee deep and forging fwd!!!!  Time to get it all stripped , and then off to the powder coaters on Monday..The Original Flywheel looked fine..no cracks or issues..Although I can see and some point a previous owner has done some thrashing of the pressure plates, all the rest of the clutch assy looks fine!!   RAM clutch kit sitting here and all ready to put back in on re-assembly, the  Transmission and bearings look excellent ..some one has been in there in re-sealed it long ago..Oil pump and timing chain look like new..Found it has had High Compression FBF Pistons installed at some point..all looks good ...Having the crank checked out....Heads and valves look great!  Thankful My  Mechanic John helping me..learning a lot from his 50 years master mechanic of experience . She will be awesome.

 

 

 DSCN1021.jpegDSCN1018.jpegDSCN1022.jpegDSCN1024.jpegDSCN1027.jpeg

  • Like 3
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Been there. Done that. But did not get the T-shirt.

Powdercoater you say? Are you having all the cases powdercoated? 

That shitty paint is on the final drive case and the driveshaft collars too.

FWIW, I had the collars powdercoated flat black (along with a lot of other stuff), and I used VHTs satin black engine paint for engine, trans, and final drive. The sheen of the flat black powder and satin rattle can are very close.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

I take it that jagged line on the flywheel in the bottom picture is not what it might appear to be?

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I see boxes of parts that I have no idea how they would fit together. 

Looks like a nice big Healy there.

Looking forward to read how this bikes rides when it's back together.  :race:

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Scud said:

Been there. Done that. But did not get the T-shirt.

Powdercoater you say? Are you having all the cases powdercoated? 

That shitty paint is on the final drive case and the driveshaft collars too.

FWIW, I had the collars powdercoated flat black (along with a lot of other stuff), and I used VHTs satin black engine paint for engine, trans, and final drive. The sheen of the flat black powder and satin rattle can are very close.

Everything will be powder coated except the final drive, ie;engine cases, trans cases, timing cover, sump, valve covers......I am not doing the final drive right now, mostly because I didn't feel like it , it will get done, but  it works fine, the current final drive paint is like new, and it is an easy thing to pull later..but right now I have a 100 other things this bike needs done first...at some point I may buy a 2003 final drive which comes in Satin..I have 2 new 2003 collars  in Satin laid aside. for that day.  Actually my old Mandello had a Satin type motor paint and trans with an original  finish on the Final drive that looked almost just like this Scura's current one....looked fine to me. I have restored a couple old Nortons and used the same powder coater with the same engine paint and they came out beautiful . 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/16/2021 at 5:29 AM, Chuck said:

I take it that jagged line on the flywheel in the bottom picture is not what it might appear to be?

Dust, I think. It’s not cracked or anything, I'll clean it all off and post some better pictures later..these were "on the fly"..:bier:

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...