Motor repaint Ram Clutch, Gearbox reseal

KINDOY2

I'm Starting down the road to pulling the motor on the Scura today..Going to strip the engine paint and fix the dreaded 02 bubbly engine/trans paint, Install a Ram clutch kit, and reseal the trans and do the Lucky Phil shift mods with Chucks shift lever......I did the wheel bearings, and Swing arm bearings last week...

IMG_5823.jpg

• Like 6

On 1/18/2021 at 10:46 AM, KINDOY2 said:

I'm Starting down the road to pulling the motor on the Scura today..Going to strip the engine paint and fix the dreaded 02 bubbly engine/trans paint, Install a Ram clutch kit, and reseal the trans and do the Lucky Phil shift mods with Chucks shift lever......I did the wheel bearings, and Swing arm bearings last week...

IMG_5823.jpg

You are a brave man .............. To do it all correctly is truly daunting.  :unsure:

Ciao

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 months later...

Knee deep and forging fwd!!!!  Time to get it all stripped , and then off to the powder coaters on Monday..The Original Flywheel looked fine..no cracks or issues..Although I can see and some point a previous owner has done some thrashing of the pressure plates, all the rest of the clutch assy looks fine!!   RAM clutch kit sitting here and all ready to put back in on re-assembly, the  Transmission and bearings look excellent ..some one has been in there in re-sealed it long ago..Oil pump and timing chain look like new..Found it has had High Compression FBF Pistons installed at some point..all looks good ...Having the crank checked out....Heads and valves look great!  Thankful My  Mechanic John helping me..learning a lot from his 50 years master mechanic of experience . She will be awesome.

DSCN1021.jpegDSCN1018.jpegDSCN1022.jpegDSCN1024.jpegDSCN1027.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Been there. Done that. But did not get the T-shirt.

Powdercoater you say? Are you having all the cases powdercoated? 

That shitty paint is on the final drive case and the driveshaft collars too.

FWIW, I had the collars powdercoated flat black (along with a lot of other stuff), and I used VHTs satin black engine paint for engine, trans, and final drive. The sheen of the flat black powder and satin rattle can are very close.

• Like 2

I see boxes of parts that I have no idea how they would fit together. 

Looks like a nice big Healy there.

Looking forward to read how this bikes rides when it's back together.  :race:

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Scud said:

Been there. Done that. But did not get the T-shirt.

Powdercoater you say? Are you having all the cases powdercoated? 

That shitty paint is on the final drive case and the driveshaft collars too.

FWIW, I had the collars powdercoated flat black (along with a lot of other stuff), and I used VHTs satin black engine paint for engine, trans, and final drive. The sheen of the flat black powder and satin rattle can are very close.

Everything will be powder coated except the final drive, ie;engine cases, trans cases, timing cover, sump, valve covers......I am not doing the final drive right now, mostly because I didn't feel like it , it will get done, but  it works fine, the current final drive paint is like new, and it is an easy thing to pull later..but right now I have a 100 other things this bike needs done first...at some point I may buy a 2003 final drive which comes in Satin..I have 2 new 2003 collars  in Satin laid aside. for that day.  Actually my old Mandello had a Satin type motor paint and trans with an original  finish on the Final drive that looked almost just like this Scura's current one....looked fine to me. I have restored a couple old Nortons and used the same powder coater with the same engine paint and they came out beautiful . 

• Like 2

On 4/16/2021 at 5:29 AM, Chuck said:

I take it that jagged line on the flywheel in the bottom picture is not what it might appear to be?

Dust, I think. It’s not cracked or anything, I'll clean it all off and post some better pictures later..these were "on the fly"..:bier:

• 1 month later...

Transmission was all powder coated, gone thru and now back together..now for the motor!!  Step by step!64334846740__E347D9EF-91EA-4BCF-A07B-014

• Like 8

• 2 weeks later...

The powder coating process took longer than expected as half the old bubbled crappy 02 paint practically fell off but the other half didn't want to come off at all..Then after much effort finally the powder coater said he was afraid to turn the pressure up on the sand blaster any higher for fear of doing damage to the cases..so We took the cases to another guy  in LA that he recommended who does a special chemical paint removal and after 2 weeks there it was ready to go back to the powder coater and be coated..He did a great job of masking and painting..very happy with that!

So now the  motor is on its way back together, sort of got sidetracked ( as always happens) as there was some light scoring on the crank  bearings so we had to redo crank and bearings, and the timing chain gear didn't want to come off so we had to cut the chain off to get the gear off..so we replaced all of those parts...then we decided to put in some new valve seals since we were there and seemed like the opportune time..the valves and pistons looked very good, we also replaced the old one and powder coated a new sump pan as it was starting to crack where the side stand bolts go in..they were loose from when I got the bike..:huh:. ..but now at last Progress!!

64412098002__EDA1AE2B-4474-4D47-A21F-3EB

• Like 6

New "Pork chops", refreshed Motor and Trans with new RAM clutch kit are all re assembled and back in her Frame!...Heads etc will go on today!! :luigi:

64446432817__42AD58B9-6D45-40F4-A1DE-E29

• Like 4