A new OEM oil drain plug crush washer design?

Kane

I saw those seal washers at Mcmaster-Carr,  @Chuck, but they're not the same type with the rubber ring on the internal diameter. :huh2:

@footgoose, I wonder if the early Sports had the sealing washer and later V11 went to simple "crush" washer? (My 2000 Sport certainly has the sealing washer). . .

1 hour ago, docc said:

I saw those seal washers at Mcmaster-Carr,  @Chuck, but they're not the same type with the rubber ring on the internal diameter. :huh2:

@footgoose, I wonder if the early Sports had the sealing washer and later V11 went to simple "crush" washer? (My 2000 Sport certainly has the sealing washer). . .

we surely know that's possible.  I'd worry about rubber being on the contact surface. Harpers is offering copper (no rubber) for that so ... 'superseded'

• Like 1

5 hours ago, docc said:

Here’s the 1999-2001 parts catalog, courtesy of AF1racing.com. The OEM number here is the plain crush washer. The old one previously installed on my bike has the rubber seal, and I had heard that seal washers are sort of a Guzzi thing. I don’t recall what my old 850T had. 

15140BD0-5B62-4722-8B46-3E09F5CB28E6.png

• Like 1

(Sigh.)

Guys. It really is a matter of minor consequence.

As long as the threads in the casting are good you can use either and there should be no leaks.

The Dowty seals are readily available, 3/8th if you can't find 10mm work fine. In most situations you can re-use a Dowty seal several times if it's a low pressure application like a drain plug. Alloy washers can also be annealed but the process is the exact opposite of copper and really not worth the effort.

Buy some sealing washers. Use them.

The End.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1